Forte vs STX review
Mar 27, 2009 at 5:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

twhtpclover

Head-Fier
A real nice review quote from OCAU:

ASUS Xonar Essence STX v Auzentech X-Fi Forte 7.1 review - Overclockers Australia Forums
Quote:

Conclusion:
Sounds are like fine wines; once you have had a taste of the good quality stuff, the poor quality stuff all of sudden just doesn’t taste as good any more. In saying that the STX is possibly the finest wine for music and the Forte is possibly the finest wine for gaming.

If I could, I would run both these cards and swap between them depending on what I intend to do at the time. The Forte is definitely no slouch when it comes to music, and puts many of the other cards to shame, but it simply can’t compete with the STX’s high quality components.

After using the STX the Forte annoyed me for music; just as once I had gamed on the Forte, the STX annoyed me for gaming. Both cards are exceptional in their intended fields and unfortunately, I don’t think they can be honestly compared against each other. It’s like comparing apples with oranges.

The Forte makes you want to play all your GAMES again to hear what you have been missing.
The STX makes you want to listen to all your MUSIC again to hear what you have been missing.
One downside to the STX is that you’ll want to rip all your music again at a higher bit rate (it’s that good, you CAN notice the difference).

At the end of the day, you need to work out what you want to use your PC for, and select either of these cards; because these are both probably the best cards in their respective fields.

Mar 27, 2009 at 7:01 AM Post #2 of 5
Maybe I'm a bit harsh, but basically, the review didn't tell me ANYTHING.

What do I suppose to get out of a these descriptions? "Amazing" and "Just short of Amazing".

As a well written essay needs example to support its claims, so does a review.

Mar 27, 2009 at 11:31 AM Post #4 of 5
I am not really sure how one could compare those cards anyway. They are both meant for very different task and users. One is aimed squarley at music and the other at gaming.

Like the reviewer said, one is better for music and the other is better for gaming.

Mar 27, 2009 at 5:38 PM Post #5 of 5
You dont need a review, to say that the xfi card is meant for games, while the other for nongames, its writen on their boxes...
I wonder if the Forte was better in both, at least how can be sure unless listening by yourself, What about comparing with Prelude or Titanium?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back