Forte vs Prelude vs Omega Claro Halo vs Essense ST --- Opinions??
May 24, 2010 at 10:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

erratik

100+ Head-Fier
Looking to buy a new sound card when I go to or get back from japan this summer and after a good bit of talking these cards seem to be the most talked about. 

Couple things to mention: 

-I do a HEAVY amount of video game playing, but only counter-strike 1.6 and only during leagues

-I listen to a WIDE variety of music equally.  Hip Hop, rap, dubstep, gore, grind, death metal, black metal, pop, punk, ska, folk, noise, etc lol

-No amp yet, this will probably be my next investment

-No DAC, this will probably be the last upgrade

-Will be pushing a pair of either AKG k701/2, or BeyerDynamics DT880's depending on the respective prices as my birthday gets closer

-Limited only to regular PCI

-there is a possiblity that I can get an onkyo tx-sr703.  would this suffice for a good dac/amp combo?

-I don't have a place nor do I have the equipment or desire to do any sound card modifications

-Sound card budget -> $150 - $200

-If I can go through newegg, I would like to get an amp or dac through them as well if possible (so can have no interest on my payments)

So all that covered, what are you guys opinions on the matter?

edit: current setup is an Audigy 2 and HD555's

May 24, 2010 at 9:33 PM Post #2 of 23
OH SNAP, you're in a cs league! CAL is coming back. I was in WEW...the 100th reformed team.

Anyways, I think I commented on your earlier threads, but I had the same exact setup as you. In my biased opinion, start off with the HT Omega Claro Halo soundcard. It's definitely worth it for the $200 bucks. If you like it, you can be like me and upgrade to the HD-600's. However, you'll lose the ability to hone in on gunshots when you play cs. It'll definitely take some time getting used to. But the soundcard is phenomenal for music.

May 24, 2010 at 11:55 PM Post #3 of 23
Quote:
OH SNAP, you're in a cs league! CAL is coming back. I was in WEW...the 100th reformed team.

Anyways, I think I commented on your earlier threads, but I had the same exact setup as you. In my biased opinion, start off with the HT Omega Claro Halo soundcard. It's definitely worth it for the $200 bucks. If you like it, you can be like me and upgrade to the HD-600's. However, you'll lose the ability to hone in on gunshots when you play cs. It'll definitely take some time getting used to. But the soundcard is phenomenal for music.

You wouldn't lose that ability with a different can.  It's not the sound card that would do that.

@OP  If you're limited to PCI, and have ZERO PCI-E slots available, (Not even the REALLY tiny one?) I'd go with the ST.  If you did have a PCI-E, I'd go with the Forte.  The Forte will lend itself a little better to gaming, and the ST would lend itself a little better to Music.

May 25, 2010 at 11:03 AM Post #4 of 23

Quote:

Quote:
You wouldn't lose that ability with a different can.  It's not the sound card that would do that.

@OP  If you're limited to PCI, and have ZERO PCI-E slots available, (Not even the REALLY tiny one?) I'd go with the ST.  If you did have a PCI-E, I'd go with the Forte.  The Forte will lend itself a little better to gaming, and the ST would lend itself a little better to Music.

I have a PCI-E 4x and another PCI-E 16x, but the 16x is more or less blocked by my video card fan

May 25, 2010 at 11:31 AM Post #5 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by erratik /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I have a PCI-E 4x and another PCI-E 16x, but the 16x is more or less blocked by my video card fan

If you can squeeze it in by shuffling things around, I'd definitely suggest it.  I'm guessing it's laid out like this.

------------------------ < x16 Video Card Installed
-------                  < x4 blocked with video card
------------------------ < x16 empty

What if you put the video card in the lower spot, then the sound card in the 4x?  Or installed the sound card into the empty x16?  (Look into it briefly; if I recall you can place a PCI-E x1 card into any PCI-E slot.)

May 25, 2010 at 11:54 AM Post #6 of 23

For some reason my reply to you didnt post =/  So i'll redo it
Quote:

Yeah I'm so excited :D  I been trying to put a team together for esea or cevo or something, paid for a (decent) server and stuff. . .but it looks like everyones either on a roster already, just wants to pug, or has ZERO dedication to develop a team attitude.  . . that, and I took a break from CS for 4 years to play more diablo 2, so ive lost a bit of my touch.

LOL wew? really?  thats hilarious, the team name me and the friend ive been tryin to do this with are using the name weekday warriors just because.  We've had a few people come in and bash us on the name lol!

Quote:
If you can squeeze it in by shuffling things around, I'd definitely suggest it.  I'm guessing it's laid out like this.

------------------------ < x16 Video Card Installed
-------                  < x4 blocked with video card
------------------------ < x16 empty

What if you put the video card in the lower spot, then the sound card in the 4x?  Or installed the sound card into the empty x16?  (Look into it briefly; if I recall you can place a PCI-E x1 card into any PCI-E slot.)

yea its

========================  < x16 video card installed

=======                                    < x4 blocked

======================== < x16 partially blocked

==============                     < PCI

I can defniitely rearrange them.

Why go with the forte and not maybe the STX or another PCI-E card?  To be honest, i actually didnt realize that the forte was PCI-E. 

and like i said, the only major gamging I do is CS. . and as long as i can hear which direction the footsteps are in, ill be good.  As of right now, all I can hear is pretty much simply if they are to the left or right of me, i dont really get much pinpointing out of this card, so I dont think ANY of them will leave me worse than where I am now

May 25, 2010 at 11:58 AM Post #7 of 23
The EAX acceleration and similar effects will help in game performance and pinpointing.  (IE CMSS3D among others.)  The Forte would help you out there, and it's... Pretty amazing.

May 25, 2010 at 12:13 PM Post #8 of 23
And the STX doesnt have those, correct?

would I be particularly disappointed that I chose the forte over the essense when it comes to music listening?

May 25, 2010 at 12:23 PM Post #9 of 23
Quote:

would I be particularly disappointed that I chose the forte over the essense when it comes to music listening?

I don't think you'd be disappointed at all.  I've heard both the Forte and the STX (haven't heard the ST) and they're fairly close.  The STX definitely does a bit better, but if you were to buy both, I don't think you'd notice a big difference.

May 25, 2010 at 12:50 PM Post #10 of 23
Apparantly you CAN put a 1x card in a 16x slot BUT if the card were to shift a little, just enough to cross pins from maybe a 5v to a 12v, theres a massive chance of blowing a capacitor or something

what a risk :S

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/242019-33-slots-cards

May 25, 2010 at 1:32 PM Post #11 of 23
Quote:
Apparantly you CAN put a 1x card in a 16x slot BUT if the card were to shift a little, just enough to cross pins from maybe a 5v to a 12v, theres a massive chance of blowing a capacitor or something

what a risk :S

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/242019-33-slots-cards

If you screw/clip the card in, there's no way that can happen unless you drop the case on that card, or kick it massively hard with a steel toe boot WHILE it's on.

I somehow doubt either of these things would happen.

May 25, 2010 at 1:59 PM Post #12 of 23

Quote:

The STX has EAX 1,2 and GX 2.0 for emulation.  The STX was designed for music and the Forte for games...both are great soundcards.  The STX is a bit more flexible in terms of tuning with opamps...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back