Formula 1 no more (last week), it's back now!
Jun 20, 2009 at 4:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 58

EugeneK

500+ Head-Fier
Hooray!

The manufacturers decided to ditch F1 and start their own series.
biggrin.gif
The 2 tier rules are silly anyway.

Hopefully they can get everything in place by racing time next year.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 20, 2009 at 4:22 AM Post #4 of 58
The remainder of this year continues. But next year is up in the air.

Yeah, fingers crossed that they either fix their problems with the FIA or manage to get a new series up and running. I'd hate to see Ferrari, BMW, Mclaren & Co., along with all their drivers, not have a series to race in next year.

There's talk of FOTA buying out the A1 Grand Prix series (along with all their TV rights and arrangements with the racetracks) - that's probably the fastest solution. But I don't think setting up with broadcaster and racetracks should be an issue, since the teams which are leaving have a much stronger following than the teams that will remain in F1 next year.

Legal issues an entirely different can of worms. >.<

Jun 20, 2009 at 4:54 AM Post #6 of 58
I love how the FIA called out Ferrari as if they are the ringleader of a bunch of petulant schoolboys.

I hope only one series remains and only one starts in 2010, it's a shame all this legal haranguing has been going on when they're meant to be racing cars.

Jun 20, 2009 at 7:46 AM Post #8 of 58
So, it is final now. They have decided to make a series of their own.
A bit of a shame, but might end up being a good thing.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 20, 2009 at 1:06 PM Post #14 of 58
Jun 20, 2009 at 1:07 PM Post #15 of 58
Basically, it all starts with Moseley trying to set a budget cap for the teams next year, and teams who stick to the budget cap will be allowed technical advantages in aerodynamic, engine design, etc, and thus essentially creating a stupid 2-tier system.

Also, for many years Moseley has been screwing the teams out of money that they were supposed to be getting and constantly introducing stupid regulations to stifle the racing even more.

Thus, with the FIA unable to reach a compromise at this stage with the teams, FOTA announced that they plan on breaking away from the FIA and will create their own championship.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back