Formidable Guitar Riffs: Jimi Hendrix, Jimmy Page, Tony Iommi, Eric Clapton, ....
May 3, 2007 at 7:18 PM Post #31 of 50
Lots of great ones I love already mentioned, so I'll just add a few

Beastie Boys - No Sleep till Brooklyn
smily_headphones1.gif

Metallica - Sad but True, Wherever I may Roam, For whom the Bell Tolls
Pantera - Mouth for War
Yes - Love will find a way
U2 - Mysterious Ways, Sunday bloody Sunday, One, In the name of love
AC/DC - Back in Black, Thunderstruck, Shook me all night long
Rage Against the Machine - Bombtrack, Killing in the Name
Nirvana - Come as u are, Smells like teen spirit
Rolling Stones - Satisfaction, Paint it Black
Iron butterfly - In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida
Devo - Whip it
Dire Straits - Brothers in Arms
Gary moore - Still got the blues
Johnny Marr with Morrisey - This charming man
Depeche Mode - Enjoy the Silence
Pixies - Where is my mind, Heres comes your man
David Bowie - Rebel Rebel
Cream - Crossroads, White room
Hendrix - Purple Haze
Journey - Separate Ways
The Darkness- I believe in a thing called love :p
Chic - Le Freak (Nile Rogers on guitar)
Police - Message in a bottle, Roxanne, Every Breath you Take
Beatles - Daytripper, In my life
INXS - Devil Inside
Red Hot Chilli pepers - Under the bridge
Stone Temple Pilots - Interstate Love Song
Django Reinhardt - Minor Swing, Tears
Johnny Smith - Walk dont Run (made famous by the Ventures)
The Ventures - Surf Rider (gotta love all their surf riffs)
Del Shannon - Runaway
The Cult - Fire Woman, She sells Sanctuary
The James Bond theme riff
smily_headphones1.gif

The Prodigy - Firestarter riff
Wes Montgomery - Bumpin on Sunset

...among others

May 4, 2007 at 11:53 PM Post #36 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrdeadfolx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dimebag Darrell is the undisputed king of the guitar riff, end of story. This is the world's first ever factual opinion. Any other answer is wrong.

Honestly, I think Dime was and is VERY underrated. He wrote great riffs and KILLER solos. But compared to Iommi, IMO he did not write as many memorable ones. I have more riffs from Iommi stuck in my head than all other bands that I like combined. I love Dime, but in the dictionary, under "riff", Iommi's picture is there.
very_evil_smiley.gif

May 5, 2007 at 1:11 AM Post #37 of 50
Nope. He was underrated, and even that is an incredible understatement. He was the king of riffs, thats all there is to it. Listen to the opening riff from "Cowboys from Hell". Thats the best guitar riff in the history of the world. Every player wishes he wrote that riff. He wasnt the most technically sound player on earth (even though he was incredibly precise, something I cant say about Iommi), but his SOUL came out through his fingers. His riffs (and solos) had a personality of their own, more so than any guitar player EVER. You hear a Dimebag riff and you immediately know who's it is..and not one song sucked, each and every one was incredibly good. Im not knocking Iommi, dont get me wrong, but you cant say Dimebag is overrated. Every person on earth could rant and rave about him all day every day for the rest of their lives, and it would still be an understatement. He lived, breathed, ate, slept, and unfortunately, died guitar.

May 5, 2007 at 3:22 AM Post #38 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrdeadfolx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nope. He was underrated, and even that is an incredible understatement. He was the king of riffs, thats all there is to it. Listen to the opening riff from "Cowboys from Hell". Thats the best guitar riff in the history of the world. Every player wishes he wrote that riff. He wasnt the most technically sound player on earth (even though he was incredibly precise, something I cant say about Iommi), but his SOUL came out through his fingers. His riffs (and solos) had a personality of their own, more so than any guitar player EVER. You hear a Dimebag riff and you immediately know who's it is..and not one song sucked, each and every one was incredibly good. Im not knocking Iommi, dont get me wrong, but you cant say Dimebag is overrated. Every person on earth could rant and rave about him all day every day for the rest of their lives, and it would still be an understatement. He lived, breathed, ate, slept, and unfortunately, died guitar.

rolleyes.gif

May 5, 2007 at 7:09 AM Post #40 of 50
Heh, when I saw the topic I though this would be a thread about the guitar riffs of the black metal band Immortal
icon10.gif

May 5, 2007 at 8:31 PM Post #42 of 50
"Jockey Full of Bourbon" -- Tom Waits (Marc Ribot on guitar)

"Celebrated Summer" -- Husker Du (Bob Mould on guitar)

"I Want You" -- Elvis Costello

"Eric's Trip" -- Sonic Youth (Thurston Moore on guitar)

May 5, 2007 at 8:51 PM Post #45 of 50
"See No Evil" -- Television

Users who are viewing this thread

Back