Former Denon D5000/D7000 Owners
Nov 7, 2009 at 10:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

rpaul

100+ Head-Fier
I briefly (1-2 months) had the D2000/D5000/D7000 series of headphones but ultimately didn't hold on to any of them (returned or sold).

There is something about the sound signature that caused me to be totally indecisive as to whether I liked the D5000/D7000 enough to keep either one. At one point I thought the D7000 was a definite keeper as it does have a seductive sound with the most impressive bass quality I've had the chance to hear in a headphone.

But I think ultimately I felt the DT990 made rock and especially metal music more enjoyable because it really brings the guitars and vocals more forward. Also, I still prefer the HD650 for classical. (After returning the D7000, I went ahead and bought a new SAA Equinox cable which I'm hoping will be a good upgrade for 9ft/$200.)

I'm not slamming the D5000/D7000, and I can see why many people like them. I'm actually considering buying the D5000 again at some point, once price comes back down to $400 or less at an authorized merchant (and only if the beyerdynamic T1 doesn't meet my expectations). I just hope they won't be as uncomfortable to wear as the pair I had - the headband hurt the top of my head which I didn't experience with either the D2000 or D7000. Weird.

But, for those who either have owned the D5000/D7000 or currently own but are unsure of whether to keep them or not, I'm curious about 2 things:
  • What did/do you like about them?
  • What did/do you NOT like about them?

Nov 7, 2009 at 10:35 PM Post #2 of 7
No offense, but aren't there enough threads and posts about the likes and dislikes of these headphones?

Every positive view will be replied with the usual negatives (mainly concerning the D5000's): "subwooferish", "boom tizz", "recessed mids", "hollow sound" "Ssssibilance" etc.

Ok, fair enough: I like D5000's clarity paired with an overall warmth and solid bass.
Dislikes: a slight undefined and undertextured bass, but just slight.

Crap, I didn't read "but are unsure of whether to keep them or not"
I certainly will keep them
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 8, 2009 at 12:17 AM Post #3 of 7
I currently own the D5000 and do enjoy the sound from them. I do agree with Mink that they do have a slightly undefined bass. But to me it is not really noticed unless I am listening to bass heavy music (at higher volumes). The overall clarity is very good making it suitable for my everyday listening. I do not plan on getting rid of mine any time soon.

Nov 8, 2009 at 4:27 AM Post #4 of 7
If I had to say something negative about the D7000's, the isolation is not as much as I would like -- not nearly as much as my well-worn HD280pro's. That being said, you will pry them only from my cold dead ears.

Nov 8, 2009 at 4:53 AM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by rpaul /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What did/do you like about them?

• Delicate extended treble.
  • Bass extending smoothly down low with no peaks.
  • Did well with many genres of music.
  • Overall very smooth FR with a minor treble peaking that rather sounded nice.
  • Did well with poorly recorded material.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rpaul /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What did/do you NOT like about them?

• Midrange a bit sucked out.
  • Slow slightly muddy bass (even with markl mods).
  • Clarity and separation not the best.
  • Not as dynamic as my other headphones.
  • No / little isolation. Aren't these supposed to be closed headphones?

Nov 8, 2009 at 5:06 AM Post #6 of 7
I agree with purrin on most of the things, except the only "dislike" I got is that with certain recordings the treble can be peaky..I would definitely improve that, but it is a minor thing, and something that can be corrected with the right tube in the EF1.
smile.gif

havn't heard the 2000, or the 7000 but the AHD5000 are my best can so far.
they are truly amazing souding...I personally think that this is the way the music should sound...but many will disagree with me especially the purist.

Nov 8, 2009 at 5:21 AM Post #7 of 7
I owned the D5000 and enjoyed it a lot. What I liked was the warm blanket of bass - certainly overpowering at times, but at others remarkably pleasant. What I didn't like was that I didn't find the midrange very musical - not on the same level as my K701 or CD3K, which is why it got sold.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back