Forgiving headphones
Jul 24, 2008 at 11:14 PM Post #32 of 38
>Btw this "Sextett" thing, do I have to hunt for them used?<
Yes, there are a couple in the For Sale forum. Or try Ebay.

>Is the current K24x model identical or similar?<
No, not at all

>Would the K27x be better?<
Different cans, they are closed.

Jul 24, 2008 at 11:22 PM Post #33 of 38
Jul 25, 2008 at 4:42 PM Post #34 of 38
Thanks for the link Tiemen.

I guess the Sextett isn't quite for me at this point of time, I kind of like my birthday toy shiny.
biggrin.gif

At the moment the HD650 seems to be most promising, followed by may be HD600.

Jul 25, 2008 at 4:52 PM Post #35 of 38
Wow, HD650s forgive easily the bad recordings? Then I don't know what helps to the 21st century compressed ****.
frown.gif
Perhaps nothing can help with that. I have found otherwise bad recordings sound very good and listenable at least with these.

Jul 25, 2008 at 5:22 PM Post #36 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by progo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow, HD650s forgive easily the bad recordings? Then I don't know what helps to the 21st century compressed ****.
frown.gif
Perhaps nothing can help with that. I have found otherwise bad recordings sound very good and listenable at least with these.

Sorry, I find your statement a bit confusing. So do you think it is a good idea to get HD650 for the not so good recording?

Also I'll not be running it balanced, should I go HD600 instead?

Jul 25, 2008 at 5:31 PM Post #37 of 38
i think hd650 "helps" bad recordings in the sense that it has a rather thick, smooth sound. Bad recordings of course will always be bad recordings, but in my personal experience most of what i would classify as "bad recordings" that i can't stand to listening to are those that are overly harshness/thin/bright (and thus makes my ears bleed). To me, the sound signature of hd650 counters these and makes them more "listenable", or less "ear-bleeding" so to speak. So in that sense, relatively speaking, i would say hd650 is more "forgiving" than many other headphones.

Although bad recordings will always be bad recordings of course
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 25, 2008 at 5:50 PM Post #38 of 38
Yes, in some recording, the treble somehow hurt my ears, it's not sibilance, but sort of borderline sibilance. This I'd imagine the Senns would help. I'd also imagine that it would help some old recording with boosted upper midrange and no bass.

As for the distortion, would the smoothening effect help? Or would the HD650 be too revealing for any distortion.

Someone on the other HD650 thread claim that the new HD650 and HD600 are different from the older ones, and both new version are indistinguishable from one another. Any one heard both lately?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back