Oct 10, 2020 at 11:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

riahc3

100+ Head-Fier
Audio-Technica ATH-M60X
beyerdynamic DT 990
AKG K371
Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO

Budget is 200 - 300 euros

Ive gone thru those headphone and Im sure I missed a couple, and they are all too hot and uncomfortable. Im sick and tired of it. I want headphone that are comfy and I can use for hours and hours.

After that, quality.

This is what I DONT want: https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSTY_rzqZ_dFZ597rPXS8J9UUUK9B6O6Q27mQ&usqp=CAU

This is what I want: https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/nAcAAOxy2CZTZ4ZT/s-l300.jpg

I like hip-hop, movies and will use them for gaming as well.

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2020 at 12:00 PM Post #2 of 14
Audio-Technica ATH-M60X
beyerdynamic DT 990
AKG K371
Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO

Ive gone thru those headphone and Im sure I missed a couple, and they are all too hot and uncomfortable. Im sick and tired of it. I want headphone that are comfy and I can use for hours and hours.

After that, quality.

I like hip-hop, movies and will use them for gaming as well.
Sounds like you need something with a large pad room that your ears do not touch much around it. Or just go iems. no pads touch your ears.

I always wonder if audiophiles are just sensitive bunch.

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2020 at 12:09 PM Post #4 of 14
First, chill with the attitude.

I dont know what to look at in IEMs for what Im looking for. Plus, will they can be comfy?
It was actually a serious question, not sarcasm.

iem comfort depends if you are ok with stuff shoved inside your ear canal. You should try it out first. There' also earbuds, but the bass is rolled off.

Oct 10, 2020 at 12:43 PM Post #6 of 14
I think the first time I've heard about temperature discomfort was somebody told me that XM3 has no room inside the cups for the ear, and the ear adpheres to the headphone. Supposedly Bose QC 35 has more room, and the adherence matters.

How we heat up inside our body depends on how much work is being done inside (heart beating, breathing), and what is covering the surface area of our skin. Like in humid weathers, the moisture covering the skin increases our heart rate due to our body working harder to cool down, which in turn creates more heat. Which is why fans actually do cool the body, not by reducing temperature, but moving hot air away from the body and also reducing moisture in the surface of the body

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2020 at 6:25 PM Post #8 of 14
Personally I have only two iems that are comfortable to me:
Technics eah-Tz700
Dunu Luna
Honorable mention: Beyerdynamic Xelento

Headphones:
ZMF (personally use VC)
Aeon 2 closed

But they also get warm over long time in my opinion.
I’d probably vote senheisser hd800 for comfortable cans.

Oct 19, 2020 at 7:14 PM Post #10 of 14
I second the recommendation for IEMs. My UM Pro 50 and qJAYS are my only 'phones that I can literally forget that I have them in when the music stops.

I'd look for something that's 1) not too deep insertion, 2) light weight, 3) narrow nozzle, 4) ergonomic design. Some of the smaller Westones might be what you're looking for, though the foam tips that come with them feel like they're trying to tear your ears apart. Shure have a similar design, but I haven't heard them myself.

Oct 20, 2020 at 12:03 AM Post #12 of 14
other than hd800, in terms of traditional over-ears probably won't do much better than dt990 you already tried (maybe aforementioned hifiman or audio technica open backs like r70x *slightly* cooler than the 990)

look for metal headbands you can bend to adjust the clamping pressure, genuine leather earpads might help a little

for those open cell foam earpads, grados (alternately with the salad bowl pads) or maybe just get some koss ksc75, porta pros, or ktx

secondhand older model model sony mdr-ma900 and mdr-f1 over-ears which have the 'free air design'

otherwise +1 to the iem or earbud suggestion, neck speakers

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2020 at 4:20 AM Post #13 of 14
Apologies for the recommendations out of budget.
Do you have a chance to demo perhaps the Final Audio e4000 or e5000?
They aren’t very isolating but relatively very comfortable iem in my opinion.
With regards to headphones, I think the DT series with velour pads may be an option if you could try them but any headphone will get warm over long periods of time I believe.

Oct 22, 2020 at 10:22 PM Post #14 of 14
Thanks for the advice :)

Way out of price range

I want pads like this:

https://static.bhphoto.com/images/images2500x2500/1282649539_355641.jpg

Nice and open and comfy

well if you want them foam type earpads what about some thing like the Grado SR80e ?? $100ish on amazon..

71omEor8LTL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back