Forewarned is ...
Oct 9, 2012 at 8:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

j0burger

New Head-Fier
OK! I posted on this in the full-size forum and got no traction even though the DT150s are full-size... so my bad, and I'm willing to try my post here... 

A bit of background. I've been travelling for + 8 years and am in the process of settling down. I have a large collection of music back in my home country (mostly vinyl) and the equipment to play it - over there. But it will be a while before that gets here so I am in the process of building up both a collection of new music as well as the tech I need to enjoy listening to it.

So far, all my tracks are ripped to FLAC, and I use Foobar with ready gain tags enabled on my PC, and a 2GB Sansa Fuse I (+8GB Mini SD card) with the latest firmware to groove on while on the road. 

My quality headphones are a Beyerdynamic DT150. I love my Beyers - they have a great sound and don't get in the way of the music - but they are not very portable.

My taste is very broad, but the sound I want from these would include a warm, tight & powerful bass that I can listen to for an extended period of time. examples include:  

• Stranglers - Nice & Sleazy, & Straighten Out;
  • Amy Whitehouse - Amy Amy Amy Outro;
  • Blondie - Atomic;
  • Beastie Boys - ShambalaYou get the idea.

Budget: $250. I'm based in Israel so that means around 1000 shekels. That means one of the following:

1. Audio Technica ATH M50
  2. Sennheiser - HD25
  3. Sennheiser - HD25 SP
  4. AKG K-272 HD
  5. AKG K-242 HD

Anyone have a suggestion between the above phones? They all seem to have decent reviews. Except for the Senns hey don't all look portable but I have yet to try them out - maybe they fold up like origami or are inflateable - I have no idea. I am heading to the store in a couple of weeks and Id rather be forewarned, etc.

Thoughts comments welcome - tnx 

Thanks

- Russ

Oct 9, 2012 at 8:38 AM Post #2 of 11
senns by far, also they are the best built and most portable of the lot

Oct 9, 2012 at 9:02 AM Post #3 of 11
but don't take the SP version, it may be cheaper but is not as good as the other versions.
the K272 is nice, but not exactly portable. It really likes an amp and it's also much bigger.

Oct 9, 2012 at 9:08 AM Post #4 of 11
Not HD 25 SP, you will be disappointed. HD 25-1-II is what you want if you go for the Senns. But they have pretty strident treble, not the big and smooth sound it sounds like you're looking for. The ATH-M50 is always a safe bet, but if you want something more portable, very smooth for long sessions, and with a nice warm sound, check out the Phiaton MS400. I just broke my pair that I had for 2 years in a stupid accident, but they are pretty durable, survived kicking around in my laptop back for 2 whole years, and they sound great.

They are also really, really good with the kind of vocal-dependent "old school" sound you seem to like, given the tracks you asked about; it was something I admired about them in particular. I really enjoyed using them for Amanda Palmer, Frank Sinatra, Amy Winehouse, and a lot of vocal-focused music. The only downside is you will probably have to mod them to make them circumaural; I did, anyways, but if you have small ears you may be in luck.

Oct 10, 2012 at 5:00 AM Post #5 of 11
The Senns appear to be the number one favourite, but I must admit the Phiaton recommendation is an interesting one, @Gilly87. The review here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/536880/review-fashion-vs-function-phiaton-ms400-b-w-p5-monster-beats-solo-v-moda-crossfade-sony-xb700-hd25-1 rates them highly and corroborates your comment about its smooth retro-like sound and ability to handle vocals:
The amazingly smooth upper end is sure to appeal to those who find the HD25-1 grating and unnatural

And here:

http://www.head-fi.org/products/phiaton-ms-400/reviews/3857

If I had to sum it up in one (maybe two) words, it would be "anti-Grado". This is by no means a bad thing, just that the sound signature is completely opposite from what I'm used to from my SR80s (and I've briefly auditioned the 225 and HF-2).

The bass is emphasized and has a bit of a thump, but isn't boomy. All sounds are incredibly crisp and sharp, especially vocals.

Downside is that they are not - from what I can see - available in Israel so I can't try-before-I-buy, but on 'paper' they seem like a good option. I wonder how much the carbon fibre construction contributes to their sound?  Interestingly the turntable, speakers and amp I have in storage are all 1970's-era B&O so I'm not surprised I have an affinity for "that sound".

Oct 10, 2012 at 10:41 AM Post #6 of 11
Quote:
My quality headphones are a Beyerdynamic DT150. I love my Beyers - they have a great sound and don't get in the way of the music - but they are not very portable.

Same here, the DT 150's are THE one headphone that will never leave my lineup!

For a more portable alternative I'd suggest the V-MODA M-80. Full mids (great for vocals) with quite deep and punchy bass. I find them to more resolving than the HD-25-1 II and smoother, never offensive. They can be bought online from Amazon for $160-ish, no idea on availability there in Israel though.

Oct 10, 2012 at 11:04 AM Post #7 of 11
Those AKG's are no more portable than your DT150.

Oct 11, 2012 at 2:49 PM Post #9 of 11
If you decide you want the VMODAs or Phiatons, you could always find a fellow Head-Fier who is established as a trustworthy trader, and see if they will ship them to you, maybe for free or maybe for a small fee depending on the person.
Quote:
V-Moda is an option, thanks. Also not available locally.

@wilyodysseus agreed. 

Oct 12, 2012 at 11:54 PM Post #11 of 11
Thanks for taking the trouble to reply everyone - plenty of food for thought!  I've had a good read and will decide over the next week or two. Im looking forward to getting my hands on some new phones!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back