Foreign movie DVDs
Jan 19, 2005 at 1:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

psychogentoo

100+ Head-Fier
I've had various luck in ordering foreign movie dvds off of the web (quality and playback issues). There was a link for redsundvd.com off of amazon, and I was wondering about the quality of the transfers as well as the subtitles for those who've ordered from them in the past.

OR if anyone can recommend a good site for region free Japanese, Korean and Chinese DVDs, I would really appreciate it.

thanks!

EDIT: added ? icon to post.

Jan 19, 2005 at 3:56 AM Post #3 of 12
There are a bunch of good online sources for asian DVDs, but many titles are not R 1 or R 0. You have to do your homework to find out which versions (and there can be many) of any patricular titles have the quality you are looking for.

The International DVD Talk Forum over at DVDTalk is a good place to start.

Jan 19, 2005 at 6:58 AM Post #4 of 12
You can try www.yesasia.com They have a lot of new movies (DVDs and VCDs) and cds. Their inventory is a little more main stream, so if you're hoping to get some Akira Kurosawa you better look else where. They're located in SF, CA, USA, so shipping shouldn't be a problem.

Jan 19, 2005 at 8:12 AM Post #5 of 12
I ordered a huge batch of stuff from yesasia. Their cheap, cheap DVD's and VCD's are of surprising quality and don't seem like the cheap burned/pirated version you'd expect. They have a lot of stuff, including most of Kurosawa's films . . . but it's all the HK version.
Unfortunately, my friend whom 3 of the DVD's was for ran out of "region changes" on her computer DVD drive; it is stopped at region 1, while the DVD's (HK version of Japanese movies) are region 3. Is there any way to reset the regional code? I know my Plextor drive can only be changed 5 times . . . if anyone could help with this it would be great! (sorry for the slight hijack)

Jan 19, 2005 at 4:26 PM Post #7 of 12
Does anyone have info about these ultra cheap DVD sets that show up on EBay that claim to be "all region" from Aisa, english language.

For instance here is all 5 seasons 32 discs of Babylon 5 for $70, what is the catch? (did notice $50 shipping charge)

B5

Jan 19, 2005 at 4:31 PM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkAngel
Does anyone have info about these ultra cheap DVD sets that show up on EBay that claim to be "all region" from Aisa, english language.

For instance here is all 5 seasons 32 discs of Babylon 5 for $70, what is the catch? (did notice $50 shipping charge)

B5

I would bet they're not legit.

Fan pic that's been autographed by 2 of the stars...

No actual pic of the set...

Jan 19, 2005 at 4:37 PM Post #9 of 12
da, those asian sets are knock offs. they have been around for a long time. awhile back before the james bond series was reissued on dvd you could get all the bond movies for next to nothing compared to what the legit dvds cost. they do the same thing with cds in china, hong kong, etc. they do make some convincing looking knock offs, but they are knock offs nonetheless. i got a radiohead cd that was supposedly "hdcd gold." the packaging was nice but it was obvious when i got it that it was not commercially released. beware of anything from that region...

Jan 19, 2005 at 6:13 PM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkAngel

B5

The catch is that they are crappy bootlegs, here the only legit release :

B0001M3MXY.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

List Price: $499.92
Amazon Price: $369.99
Used Amazon Price: $159.99

Jan 19, 2005 at 7:06 PM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by cellophane
I
Unfortunately, my friend whom 3 of the DVD's was for ran out of "region changes" on her computer DVD drive; it is stopped at region 1, while the DVD's (HK version of Japanese movies) are region 3. Is there any way to reset the regional code? I know my Plextor drive can only be changed 5 times . . . if anyone could help with this it would be great!

Check http://forum.rpc1.org/portal.php, you can find rpc-1 (region free) firmware, or patch for your dvd-rom. Just know what your doing I'm not responsable if you screw up
very_evil_smiley.gif

if it doesn't work they have a paying utilities that suposed to work in the
background and make the dvd player region free.

Alternativly if you have a stand alone DVD you can check www.videohelp.com in DVD hack they may have instruction to make your stand alone DVD region free. With mine I just have to press a series of button on the remote to go to the secret menu and change the region.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back