For those who want to get the best ECM albums
Mar 1, 2004 at 10:34 PM Post #16 of 34
Quote:

Originally posted by genetic
Hi saint.panda

Since I joined the world of headphones lovers I have a new appreciation for music. New reasons to love some CDs and new reasons to hate some others
frown.gif
. Jarrett has been one of thoses «humming pianists» that challenge my taste.

So many established performer dont enjoy his reputation but can never the less give him a run for his (ours also) money. And it's humming free
biggrin.gif

(1) John Taylor: Insight (Sketch SKE 333035)
(2) Eric Watson : Sketches of Solitude (Night bird NBM 1005 2)

Amicalement,

P.S. Sorry if those titles are not ECM: you could blame Mario for that
biggrin.gif

genetic, you're right about the humming and i agree that it is annoying when some of the most highly acclaimed pianists hum to their songs.+
i'll try the recordings you pointed out.

btw about the list of the ecm selected recordings list: for people who live in germany: the latest issue of jazz thing has a pamphlet with the 20 ecm selected recordings...damn nice. i might get the box set once i recover from headphone-caused-financial-crisis. also, just found out that ecm is a munich music label. go ecm rarum

Mar 1, 2004 at 10:43 PM Post #17 of 34
Quote:

20 ecm selected recordings

Be careful!!! Selected recordings include some very good music but are NOT represantative of the artists' work. They are the lesser known works that are worth listening too.

Its not like a "best of" collection. Just in case you dont know that.

Mar 1, 2004 at 10:57 PM Post #18 of 34
Quote:

Originally posted by marios_mar
Be careful!!! Selected recordings include some very good music but are NOT represantative of the artists' work. They are the lesser known works that are worth listening too.

Its not like a "best of" collection. Just in case you dont know that.

true, it's just the stuff they recorded for ecm. but the good thing is that the artists can select the songs themselves.

Mar 4, 2004 at 7:17 PM Post #19 of 34
Sweet! I love ECM. They have some really incredible music. Recently I've been listening to a lot of Dave Holland and Keith Jarrett, both ECM artists. I look forward to the album list.

I can host as well if there's still any need...

Mar 4, 2004 at 8:10 PM Post #21 of 34
What I also like about the ECM Selected Recordings Series is that you get a nice digipack (not standard cheap jewel case), very informative booklet, nice pictures,... just the whole non-music stuff that comes along with the cd.

if the music industry really wants to stop the whole kazaa thing, they shouldnt try to punish some of the many users but make cds like these, so that the people have more than just the music as a reason to acutally buy the cd. if the comsumer can get a small piece of art, which the ecm cds are, people will start buying more cds again. there's just more life and flair in a well-made cd than in digital music downloaded from the internet. and you support the artist. and you can boast with your cd collection
biggrin.gif

just my 0.02€

Mar 4, 2004 at 8:38 PM Post #22 of 34
yet the ECM CDs are some of the most expensive.

The Selected recodrings series is very well presented indeed. And this box set collection is attractive.

Anyone heard if they will be releasing titles in hi-res formats?

Mar 10, 2004 at 4:37 PM Post #23 of 34
Some of my favorite ECM releases: not all of these are "straight" jazz (indeed most of them aren't) -- I don't have as many ECM as I would wish, but what I have is already a good example of the diversity of this wonderful label.

Astrakan Cafe -- Anouar Brahem (middle-easten/central-Asian ensemble music)
Cite de la Musique -- Dino Saluzzi (Argentinian banadoneon. His latest release is said to be of a similar vein -- on my wish list)
No Birch -- Christian Wallumrod Trio (This one is closer to traditional jazz, only more introspective)
River -- Ketil Bjornstad and David Darling (New age music for piano and cello)
North Stories-- Mishia Alperin (somewhat impressionistic jazz piano and ensemble)
La Scala -- Keith Jarret (needs no introduction)
Mnemosyne -- Jan Garbarek and The Hillard Ensemble (IMO better than Officium -- more diverse)
Angel Song -- Kenny Wheeler (absolutely beautiful jazz ensemble)
Das Buch der Klange by Hans Otte, performed by Herbert Henck (wonderful, thoughtful modern classical piano work)

Mar 16, 2004 at 4:50 AM Post #24 of 34
If I had to rescue four ECM discs from a fire....

Nana Vasconcelos - Saudades (1980) my first ECM title
Steve Tibbetts - The Fall of Us All (1994)
Meredith Monk - Book of Days (1990)
Arvo Part/Hilliard Ensemble - Miserere (1991)

Mar 18, 2004 at 3:41 PM Post #27 of 34
Noop, I can't see it.
You can e-mail it to me or put it on my FTP-server if you want. PM me for acount access if you forgot your password.

Mar 18, 2004 at 4:40 PM Post #28 of 34
http://www.geocities.com/marios_mar/ECM.jpg

when you try this link can you see the pics.

I have a geocities account and have uploaded the pics and the link above is where they are. When I put this link on my browser I can see the pic. I can even see it on the thread. So why cannot other people see it?

Does anybody know?

Anders I do remember the password but I must find a way to host my own pics.

If the geocities thing fails then I will have to send it to you.

Mar 18, 2004 at 5:44 PM Post #29 of 34
Marios, the link does not work.

I get following message:

We're sorry, but this page is currently unavailable for viewing.
If this site belongs to you, please read this help page for more information and assistance.

For general questions see our main help area, or search for other member pages.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back