For those who run speakers/studio monitors and headphones off your computer...
Jan 10, 2011 at 6:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

iamthecheese

100+ Head-Fier
How do you do it?
I have my headphone setup and in my sig and I'm about to add a pair of active monitors and maybe a sub. I've looked at RCA switches but then I won't be able to control the volume for the speakers. I've been told not to run the speakers from my amps headphone out, since that will burn out the preamp in the speakers. Ive looked at getting a small mixer, and so far thats the only think I can think of(since my dac only has 1 RCA out).

What does everyone else here use?

Jan 10, 2011 at 6:35 PM Post #3 of 9

Quote:
A dac that has a volume control nob for the rca's?.

I'd rather not get a whole new DAC, which would mean going through the trouble of selling my current one and finding a new one. I'll keep the option on the table though if i can find any DACs for around 150-175 that have multiple outputs and volume control

Jan 11, 2011 at 1:28 AM Post #4 of 9

If you have a DAC with two outputs no problems,I use balanced outputs to feed my amp and the RCA's to feed the monitors.

I control the volume to the monitors via software but you can run a passive preamp if you feel the need.

Jan 11, 2011 at 11:05 AM Post #5 of 9

Quote:

If you have a DAC with two outputs no problems,I use balanced outputs to feed my amp and the RCA's to feed the monitors.

I control the volume to the monitors via software but you can run a passive preamp if you feel the need.

What DAC do you use if you dont mind me asking?

Jan 12, 2011 at 5:59 AM Post #6 of 9

Quote:
Quote:

What DAC do you use if you dont mind me asking?

I use LD DAC 1 but most balanced dac's have an RCA out as well,makes life easy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back