For those that upgraded from Elekit TU882 amp(if you have HD650 also, even better)
Aug 11, 2010 at 8:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

High_Q

1000+ Head-Fier
I'm trying to get some noticible improvements to my HD650 setup if it is possible even although I am happy with what I have now.  What amp have you upgraded to? And are the improvements that drastic?  Should I upgrade my udac or amp first?

Aug 12, 2010 at 12:58 AM Post #2 of 9
You can upgrade
  0.1mfd caps to Vcap.

Aug 12, 2010 at 6:16 AM Post #4 of 9
^^ Seconded. I too bought into the FOTM udac and imported one from the US to India. It not very neutral and in the end I had to sell it off for a loss. A DAC IMO should be as neutral as possible.

Aug 12, 2010 at 7:42 AM Post #5 of 9

why?
Quote:
You can upgrade
" class="bbcode_smiley" height="" src="smileys/
" title="
" width="" />  0.1mfd caps to Vcap.

Aug 12, 2010 at 11:44 AM Post #6 of 9

Quote:
why?

[size=x-small]Coupling capacitors are used in all tube gear. The audio signal gets from one tube to the next through these electrical components. Audiophiles and audio designers have been aware that not all caps sound alike. Capacitors can make a huge difference in the sound of equipment especally a good capacitor. [/size]

[size=x-small]To replace the 4 pp film capacitors with better Caps plus a pair of WE396A can made a huge difference.[/size]
[size=x-small] [/size]
[size=x-small]  [/size]

Aug 12, 2010 at 9:27 PM Post #7 of 9
I used a uDAC > TU-882 > HD650 for about two weeks, before I received my gamma-2 dac from MisterX.  It's been a worthwhile upgrade, as the difference in clarity is astounding.  While the uDAC has served me well, it was time for an upgrade after spending six months with it. 

Aug 12, 2010 at 9:43 PM Post #8 of 9
Upgrade your DAC first, definitely (and maybe the digital cable as well). Improvements to the source often provide the biggest gains in my experience. I have the Elekit and HD650 and it's a good match. I alternate between a Virtue Audio Piano CD Player and a MHDT Paradisea DAC (with Western Electric D getter 396A). They're both excellent, the Piano CDP being the transport when using the Paradisea. I prefer both of these to a Cambridge 540C V2 that I also own.

You can also replace the stock tubes. Just about anything is an improvement over the stock tubes. GE 5 stars are good (these are older than the stock and older = better). For more money ($100-150 per pair), go for Western Electric 396A, especially the D getters. RCA's and Sylvanias are also better than the stock. I've tried all of these, BTW, and stayed with the 396A. Another minor upgrade is to get tube dampers from Herbie's Audio Lab. Don't bother with any other tube dampers, get Herbies. And get the better, more expensive type of the two he sells (they cost like $25 each or something). The tube dampers tighten everything up, esp. the bass, and smooth the highs a bit. One other minor upgrade is to replace the stock HD650 cable with a Cardas cable. Your best price on this is through DIYcable.com.

Aug 12, 2010 at 11:50 PM Post #9 of 9
I've been meaning to find a pair of WE 396A tubes for my TU-882 as well, but I've been happy with the pair of United 2C51 tubes that I saw on ebay for a good price.  Bass was more precise compared to stock GE 5670's, and there was a little more sparkle to the treble. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back