For those that have found their end game, what is it?
Jan 21, 2024 at 6:05 PM Post #16 of 34
For any serious listening a Naim Unity Core Server forms the heart of my system. High quality network cables and coaxial along with a good SSD... Best money spent on this hobby and I see keeping it until my demise. If it dies first, it will be refurbished or replaced.
Small collection of headphones that stalled at Focal Utopia a couple of years ago... Looking to better them so not end game.
Equally sized amp collection, also stalled, with some candidates being considered... Candidates, so far, all have drawbacks over my current amps that have kept me from committing, so no end game yet.

phthora captures the gist of where I come from in his opening comment.

Jan 21, 2024 at 7:21 PM Post #17 of 34
I abandoned the thought of endgame. I have seen some posts of people spending $20K plus on their setup and still aren't happy. Of course, I also saw some posts of people out there very happy with their setup after spending $20K plus as well, but I had to do some self-reflecting. After some self-reflection and asking myself what I really want to improve on my system. I couldn't answer that myself and thus don't know what I am looking for in terms of improvement. So I ended my headphone adventures with EMM Labs NS1 (streamer) > Mojo Audio Mystique Evo B4B 21 (DAC) > Supratek Cabernet DHT 45 tube Preamp > Allnic HPA - 5000XL Amp > Onkyo A800 (for bass/fun music), Mysphere 3.2 (for something more natural), Susvara (for TOTL craving), and Schiit JR amp with Raal SR1a (for something pretty good and was too lazy to warm up the tubes). One headphone never really satisfied me as I get different cravings and each headphone has an addictive quality depending on what track I played them with. The only reason Supratek Cabernet DHT 45 tube Preamp is there is cause I got into speakers last year, but it's pretty dang good in a headphone setup as well. I did had the temptation of selling my current setup last month for the Allnic HPA-10000, but after talking with a couple of people, it isn't worth it cause then I will start craving upgrading everything all over again and I really don't want to upgrade everything again for my headphone setup lol. Plus upgrading for the sake of upgrading when I am already happy with my current gear seems like a rabbit hole I do not want to go down unless we are talking about fancy cables cause that won't cause too much disruption to the overall system.

So I guess I pretty much came to a stop in my headphone adventure and I guess reached my ending point for it for now and began my pursuit in speakers/room treatment. If endgame means pulling out of the hobby with the current setup that makes me happy, I guess I reached endgame. I see speakers as a different hobby than headphones, their presentation is really different to me which kinda sparks my interest in audio gears again because the most fun thing in this hobby for me was the exploration phase of finding that "favorite" headphone/setup. Finding my favorite headphones made the hobby a little boring for me, but listening to music is really fun! I'm glad I get to start over in the hobby again, but the twist is now I am dealing with speakers and the entire room itself. I hope everyone can find their endgame one day, it's really fun re-exploring your favorite tracks on a system you can be satisfied with. I highly recommend you re-explore your favorite tracks with each upgrade, it will make this hobby more satisfying in the long run.

As for headphones I went through before finding my favorite 4 (used to be 5 but temptation got me selling it and hella regret it lol), I went through a lot of headphones in terms of owning and demoing at a audio show or in shop. I liked about 95% of the headphones I tried and could be happy with a lot of them if I never heard better. I think the key is to not hear anything better and you'll be ok with whatever endgame you'll end up with lol.

Jan 21, 2024 at 8:53 PM Post #19 of 34
I think an end headphone does not necessarily need to be owned, even if you can purchase and have it in your collection it is not necessary. If you can, then that is absolutely cool! But all respect for one's endgame boils down to it being your absolute reference point. So that it may guide you on new discoveries and better appreciation for the hobby, sincerely so because this isn't a hobby you can just have ownership of 1 particular audio gear and be truly 100% be happy. There's always Infinite possibilities for new enjoyment in the audio space, and so we'll always be on the lookout and share our admiration for sound together

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2024 at 2:51 PM Post #21 of 34
I have a Sash tres SE on the way and this is very intriguing.. it is boggles my mind how affordable they were, hope they get to my place in one piece.
How's the amping on these? Does it even matter?
I have only tried them with a violectric v280 and audio-gd master19, both are capable amplifiers. The trés se sound delicious out of these.

Jan 31, 2024 at 3:13 PM Post #24 of 34
I have only tried them with a violectric v280 and audio-gd master19, both are capable amplifiers. The trés se sound delicious out of these.
ah well, these two are definitely playing in a higher class than what I own, but since they're planars I hope that my FiiO K5 pro is enough. From a power requirements perspective it should be fine and ESS chips are supposedly clean enough. With a bit of luck my pair arrives this week, can't wait!

Feb 7, 2024 at 11:48 AM Post #25 of 34
I went through maybe 80 headphones and heard another 50+. Landed on the Meze Elite, D9200, HE5 and HE6. Plus the rest. Only headphone on my list is the Final D8000 Pro and if they come out with an Elite 2 that improves anything dramatically.

Exploring some iems now but I'll only end up with one or two pairs when I'm done.
the D8000 OG is great too, slightly warmer signature. Not as reference as the Pros in terms of tuning, but more dynamic and fun.

Feb 7, 2024 at 12:03 PM Post #26 of 34
She told me that she is my endgame. Should I be afraid?

Feb 7, 2024 at 5:40 PM Post #28 of 34
ah well, these two are definitely playing in a higher class than what I own, but since they're planars I hope that my FiiO K5 pro is enough. From a power requirements perspective it should be fine and ESS chips are supposedly clean enough. With a bit of luck my pair arrives this week, can't wait!
I run the Tres 45 from my SMSL DO200/HO200 and it sounds amazing. Since acquiring them they've steadily risen through the ranks to become my favourite headphone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back