For those replacing their home systems w/ customs
Aug 10, 2009 at 4:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

myk7000

1000+ Head-Fier
Hi,

I was curious about those who have the new JH13, ES3X, or UE11 customs.

Did any of you guys replace your home system with these headphones? Is it worth doing?

I have heard some people say that these customs are so good that they wouldn't feel bad about selling all their equipment and keeping just the customs. Is this a solution some people have looked into? Do they provide the same / similar sound as top headphones (hd800, d7000, k1000, etc)?

I love my headphones and setup but am possibly considering in the future to replace them all with one final solution custom if it is worth it because that solution would easily be the most convenient and ultimately could be cost-saving as well.

However I worry about a couple things:
1. Will something like a pico dac/amp be enough to drive them amazingly? Or do I need a home system to plug them into
2. I heard that custom iems do not last much longer than 4 years. Headphones can last decades. Longevity would be very important for me, do they break down often?
3. Does your ear change throughout the years, causing the molds to not work as well as they used to?

Any information would be awesome, thanks!

Aug 10, 2009 at 4:27 AM Post #3 of 6
I am in the process of replacing my home and current portable rig for a custom rig. I initially listened to my home rig mainly (W5000, Musical Fidelity V-Dac, Gilmore Lite+DPS), but after getting the TF10s I found myself listening to them more and more, even at home. They are just so much easier to use, and sound very very good. With the universal fits already taking over my home setup, I have no doubt in my mind that I will not regret replacing it with customs.

Regarding your worries about longevity, even if the IEMs don't last me more than 4 years, in those 4 years, I know I would have put more time on them than headphones in 20 years. Again, mainly because they are so easy to use.

Aug 10, 2009 at 4:29 AM Post #4 of 6
Check my sig.

Would I do it again? Absolutely! I haven't missed my desktop rig for one minute.

#2. is an urban myth. there's no reason for customs to last only 4 years. The problem is that-they're portable, and therefore, often subject to far more abuse than standard headphones. Take care of them, and they should last a long time.

Aug 10, 2009 at 4:32 AM Post #5 of 6
and even then for the most part people don't hang onto headphones for much longer then that ( I know there are exceptions) it is just people get bored or upgrade/change too much to hold them for that long. I plan on using my jh-13's for a extremely long time even after upgrading the the next greatest invention

Aug 16, 2009 at 12:21 AM Post #6 of 6
If I do look to hanging onto my headphones for 10+years.. then?
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back