for those looking at DACs..
Nov 16, 2008 at 1:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 79

ffrr

100+ Head-Fier
I would like to suggest the Mytek Digital Stereo 96 DAC.

I am a full tilt audio addict, and these qualities make my job(s) (sound engineering and professional singer) a lot more fun than "work"..I am constantly searching for new components for my recording rig(I specialize in on location recording of acoustic and classical music) and for my home playback sytem.. at any rate, a couple of years ago, this search led me down a path that would eventually dead end at Prism ,Benchmark, Grace,Lynx, EMM, Lavry, and others.. They were all good in terms of resolution, but didnt have quite what I was looking for, sonically.

After learning that David Chesky, Gary Paczocza ,and other well respected engineers were using Mytek conversion, I had to try them. I now have 24 channels of AD/DA in my remote recording setup, and a simple two channel mytek stereo 96 in my 2 channel playback room. The mytek sound is very detailed and open, but with a touch of a "glue" to make everything sound great. No frequencies are lost, everything is there in spades..but comparing the mytek to the other conversion ive tried is , to me, like comparing a top notch SS amp to a top notch tube amp... they both do the trick, but the tube has that magic.....

another great feature of the mytek is the reference caliber headphone stage that is built in. The volume/attenuation control pot can be setup so that it only controls the headphone output(not affecting the signal going to the speakers(which I have set to maximum output/no attenuation) I have my mytek feeding my mastersound due venti and my modified akg 701s.

this piece of kit is a steal at well under a thousand bucks, ..those in search of a DAC would be well advised to give one a listen!

24 bit or 16 and 20 bit output with high performance SuperShaper (tm) bit reduction algorithm
* Internal 10ps clock generator
* Wordclock AND Protools Superclock ® input and output. Can be used as a very stable low jitter house clock
* Input volume control for easy level adjustment (switchable in/out)
* Stereo level meter with true over detection
* Built in 110/220V power supply

Stereo96 DAC features:

* Jitter free operation with SuperLock (tm) technology. In SuperLock (tm) mode ultra stable 10ps internal clock allows for D/A conversion of incoming signals of any sample rate with 192K sampling bandwidth. This method provides 100% immunity to source jitter and relaxed filtering with 100kHz bandwidth.

* Transparent high current, high performance headphone amp
* Volume control assignable to headphones and analog outputs (for plugging your digital monitoring directly into power amp for ultimate sound transparency)
* External or internal sync.
* Accepts up to 192k single wire input on internal sync, and up to 96k on external sync.
* Built in 110/220V power suppl

stereo96dac-72dpi.jpg

Nov 16, 2008 at 2:22 AM Post #4 of 79
how about neither, dumbasses.

Just a guy on a discussion forum with an opinion.

go figure.

I prefer to state technical measurements in my reviews rather than some ****all " ooh the liquid midrange is like ether boiling up from the taut , crystalline bass and black background that made the speakers dissapear immersing me in audiophilia ignoreland" ********.

one things for sure, the world aint short of presumptuous fools.

Nov 16, 2008 at 2:36 AM Post #5 of 79
ffrr headfi like many audio discussion boards has had its share of under cover marketeers. You seem to be a really enthusiastic person who just want to share a product they discovered I hope you can understand peoples reactions to someone who has just joined and has 3 posts and begins to rave about a virtually unknown product.

Welcome to headfi hope you stick around and enjoy the fun.

Nov 16, 2008 at 3:07 AM Post #6 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by ffrr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would like to suggest the Mytek Digital Stereo 96 DAC.

I am a full tilt audio addict, and these qualities make my job(s) (sound engineering and professional singer) a lot more fun than "work"..I am constantly searching for new components for my recording rig(I specialize in on location recording of acoustic and classical music) and for my home playback sytem.. at any rate, a couple of years ago, this search led me down a path that would eventually dead end at Prism ,Benchmark, Grace,Lynx, EMM, Lavry, and others.. They were all good in terms of resolution, but didnt have quite what I was looking for, sonically.

After learning that David Chesky, Gary Paczocza ,and other well respected engineers were using Mytek conversion, I had to try them. I now have 24 channels of AD/DA in my remote recording setup, and a simple two channel mytek stereo 96 in my 2 channel playback room. The mytek sound is very detailed and open, but with a touch of a "glue" to make everything sound great. No frequencies are lost, everything is there in spades..but comparing the mytek to the other conversion ive tried is , to me, like comparing a top notch SS amp to a top notch tube amp... they both do the trick, but the tube has that magic.....

another great feature of the mytek is the reference caliber headphone stage that is built in. The volume/attenuation control pot can be setup so that it only controls the headphone output(not affecting the signal going to the speakers(which I have set to maximum output/no attenuation) I have my mytek feeding my mastersound due venti and my modified akg 701s.

this piece of kit is a steal at well under a thousand bucks, ..those in search of a DAC would be well advised to give one a listen!

24 bit or 16 and 20 bit output with high performance SuperShaper (tm) bit reduction algorithm
* Internal 10ps clock generator
* Wordclock AND Protools Superclock ® input and output. Can be used as a very stable low jitter house clock
* Input volume control for easy level adjustment (switchable in/out)
* Built in 110/220V power supply

Stereo96 DAC features:

* Jitter free operation with SuperLock (tm) technology. In SuperLock (tm) mode ultra stable 10ps internal clock allows for D/A conversion of incoming signals of any sample rate with 192K sampling bandwidth. This method provides 100% immunity to source jitter and relaxed filtering with 100kHz bandwidth.

* Transparent high current, high performance headphone amp
* Volume control assignable to headphones and analog outputs (for plugging your digital monitoring directly into power amp for ultimate sound transparency)
* External or internal sync.
* Accepts up to 192k single wire input on internal sync, and up to 96k on external sync.
* Built in 110/220V power suppl

stereo96dac-72dpi.jpg

Please. All this and pix ripped directly from Mytek's site. I stand by my comment but by all means welcome to Headfi -- though "dumbass" is not the usual forum salutation.

o

Nov 16, 2008 at 7:42 AM Post #7 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by orkney /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Please. All this and pix ripped directly from Mytek's site. I stand by my comment but by all means welcome to Headfi -- though "dumbass" is not the usual forum salutation.

o

considering the fact that I dont have a digital camera, yeah, I ripped the ****ing pictures from myteks site.. when telling someone about a product, it is nice to include pictures and specifications is it not? Is that concept foreign to you, really? I would tend to think that someone in the hobby longer than say... over a day would enjoy specs, regardless of where they came from.

I stand by my comment that you are a dumbass. I could call you an idiot if youd like, or perhaps you are just a rude *******. Given your behaviour , all of them seem fitting.

I dont need a welcome from the likes of you, but I will take it in the manner in which it was intended.

Nov 16, 2008 at 7:56 AM Post #8 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by jp11801 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ffrr headfi like many audio discussion boards has had its share of under cover marketeers. You seem to be a really enthusiastic person who just want to share a product they discovered I hope you can understand peoples reactions to someone who has just joined and has 3 posts and begins to rave about a virtually unknown product.

Welcome to headfi hope you stick around and enjoy the fun.

first of all, im not just some enthusiastic green newbie that just stepped off the ******* turnip truck..

Ive been involved in audio for 20+ years, on both sides of the baton....and ive been around forums for a good while too. a little bit of courtesy goes a long way, no matter how many posts, how long the internet dick, or what gear a person owns.

I appreciate enthusiastic reviews, myself. and given the fact that I never know just exactly whom I am addressing, I tend to be respectful, and return any courtesy that I am given.

so..anyway.. let me restate.

I am not a marketer, audio pimp, designer, nor am I affiliated in any way with sales of any kind. I am a musician and recording engineer. I am new to this particular forum, but that doesnt mean that I am going to sit here and play the whipping post to anyone..forum veterans or not.

that is all, and thanks for having manners, young man. Look forward to interacting with those whose heads are not permanently stuck up their 3rd points of contact.

Nov 16, 2008 at 8:59 AM Post #10 of 79
Quote:

first of all, im not just some enthusiastic green newbie that just stepped off the ******* turnip truck..

Ive been involved in audio for 20+ years, on both sides of the baton....and ive been around forums for a good while too. a little bit of courtesy goes a long way, no matter how many posts, how long the internet dick, or what gear a person owns.

I appreciate enthusiastic reviews, myself. and given the fact that I never know just exactly whom I am addressing, I tend to be respectful, and return any courtesy that I am given.

I am not a marketer, audio pimp, designer, nor am I affiliated in any way with sales of any kind. I am a musician and recording engineer. I am new to this particular forum, but that doesnt mean that I am going to sit here and play the whipping post to anyone..forum veterans or not.

that is all, and thanks for having manners, young man. Look forward to interacting with those whose heads are not permanently stuck up their 3rd points of contact.

i don't think their intention was to defile you in anyway, they just wanted to point out the way it sounded and even if they were, cussing and talking about how you're so experienced when they're not isn't going to help your rep.

just saying maybe you should check it out from their point of view. it might not be the way you would respond, but can't you understand where they're coming from?

Nov 16, 2008 at 9:25 AM Post #11 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by xxbaker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i don't think their intention was to defile you in anyway, they just wanted to point out the way it sounded and even if they were, cussing and talking about how you're so experienced when they're not isn't going to help your rep.

just saying maybe you should check it out from their point of view. it might not be the way you would respond, but can't you understand where they're coming from?

I understand it just fine. I was a young , rude punk once... so yeah, the intention was not lost on me. It was a combination of bad humour and bad manners. I dont give half a damn about my rep. I am not here to make friends.
This forum is just another place to kill time. That being said, I am sure there are plenty of folks here with sense and manners, and I look forward to conversing with them.

Nov 16, 2008 at 3:45 PM Post #12 of 79
This thing is as ugly as OP replies.
What's the point of posting manufacturer pictures and spec from their web site. Zero personal impressions, what it is if not an ad? And you have the courage attacking people calling on shill. Don't bother to reply, you are in Ignore list already.

Nov 16, 2008 at 3:52 PM Post #13 of 79
Quote:

assumptions can be found on both sides, first off I never said you were a 'green newbie' just that you were new here. Prior to responding to you I read your profile and it is clear like many here you have some experience. Secondly addressing some one as 'young man' can be taken as a form of condescension, since I am an old fart (44) I'll take it as a complement.
wink.gif

Also this is not an internet whipping by any stretch of the imagination. Two people questioned your motive and you responded by calling them dumbass and several other phrases that were either caught by the filter or you just did the **** for effect. This is an OTT reaction to two people simply questioning your motives and my post was meant to soften up the approach and welcome you well so much for that.

Nov 16, 2008 at 3:57 PM Post #14 of 79
Quote:

I understand it just fine. I was a young , rude punk once... so yeah, the intention was not lost on me. It was a combination of bad humour and bad manners. I dont give half a damn about my rep. I am not here to make friends.
This forum is just another place to kill time. That being said, I am sure there are plenty of folks here with sense and manners, and I look forward to conversing with them.

you want manners but do not want seem to want to show manners. Assuming that someone that questions you is a young rude punk and following up with your comment that you are not here to make friends only serves to deepen the argument.

Nov 16, 2008 at 4:15 PM Post #15 of 79
Quote:

The ugly vitriol of your replies on the suspect behaviour you've shown, and if you have the experience you say you do you must have known that turning up out of the blue and proclaiming to the masses the incredible awesome of a product nobody has heard of is more than a little eyebrow raising, is very very miscalculated.

You aren't being denounced, just treated with caution, but you seem to have taken it as some sort of deeply personal bismirchment and gone on a swear work ridden self richeous bender telling us all how you're the man of experience in the right and we are the jumped up rude little punks in the wrong.

You say you don't want friendship, thats fine, but how about some simple cordiality, get off your high horse when you ride into a new town.

I hope that this rather unfortunately recieved start blows over and that you stay and see what a great forum we have got here, I don't think I'm the only one who joined here with no intention of ending up a headphone nut, but it happened.

The product that you mention looks interesting. But I'm all set on the DAC front myself so it's not going to grab any real portion of my attentions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back