For the price of the ATH-M50's, is there anything better?
Feb 23, 2014 at 7:33 PM Post #16 of 25
  After some googling, I assume you mean the Creative Aurvana Live! headphones, right? I'll take a look at those. If it was those versus the UE 6000, what would be the general consensus? Because I think I'm kinda sold on the UE 6000s unless somebody can convince me otherwise.

Yes, that's the one I meant. UE6000 has better isolation, if that matters to you.

Feb 23, 2014 at 7:59 PM Post #17 of 25

After some googling, I assume you mean the Creative Aurvana Live! headphones, right? I'll take a look at those. If it was those versus the UE 6000, what would be the general consensus? Because I think I'm kinda sold on the UE 6000s unless somebody can convince me otherwise.

Yes, that's the one I meant. UE6000 has better isolation, if that matters to you.

I agree.  I have both and use both. The CAL! is my main office phone; my office is quiet. The UE6000 is my bedside table headphone. It would be hard for me to choose one over the other.  Here is a comparison the the UE6000, the CAL! and the JVC S-400 that I wrote in a PM last December; maybe it can help:

I still own the CAL!, the HA-S400, and the UE6000.  I like all three.  I will discuss the UE6000 in passive mode (except when I state otherwise.) I have more or less retired the HA-S400 since buying the UE6000. I used to carry the HA-S400 in my backpack, because it is light and easy to drive, but I found that it does not isolate well enough to be practical for use as a travel headphone.

The HA-S400 is a little easier to drive than the CAL!, which in turn is a little easier to drive than the UE6000.

The UE6000 is the best in terms of isolation, and it is over-ear (circumaural).  The HA-S400 is on-ear.  The CAL! is somewhere between on-ear and over-ear and between the HA-S400 and the UE6000 in terms of isolation.  For me, the UE6000 is more comfortable than the CAL!, which is more comfortable than the HA-S400.

In terms of sound quality, all three headphones have comparable detail retrieval: you can hear the same sounds with all three headphones.  (A set that I own and has better detail retrieval is the Beyerdynamic DT250-250.)

The UE6000 is a little dark (shelved-down highs). The CAL! and HA-S400 are more treble-oriented.  The CAL! is a little less "full" sounding than the UE-6000.  The HA-S400 is a little less "full" sounding than the CAL!.

If I were to choose on sound alone, the CAL! and the UE6000 would be about equal, and a little better than the HA-S400, which in comparison sounds a little "tinny." I would give a slight advantage to the CAL! over the UE6000 for the kind of music I listen to (classical, including opera, West African, some jazz, some Italian pop).

If I were to choose on convenience, the UE6000 would be my choice, because of its superior isolation and very good comfort.  On a recent plane trip, I could actually enjoy a DVD of Susan Tedeschi playing at Austin City Limits with the UE 6000 on active mode.  I do not think I could have enjoyed it with the CAL! or the HA-S400.

I hope this helps. Also: remember that it is fun to look at headphone choices, but in the end you want to enjoy the music!

Feb 23, 2014 at 8:11 PM Post #18 of 25

I agree.  I have both and use both. The CAL! is my main office phone; my office is quiet. The UE6000 is my bedside table headphone. It would be hard for me to choose one over the other.  Here is a comparison the the UE6000, the CAL! and the JVC S-400 that I wrote in a PM last December; maybe it can help:

I still own the CAL!, the HA-S400, and the UE6000.  I like all three.  I will discuss the UE6000 in passive mode (except when I state otherwise.) I have more or less retired the HA-S400 since buying the UE6000. I used to carry the HA-S400 in my backpack, because it is light and easy to drive, but I found that it does not isolate well enough to be practical for use as a travel headphone.

The HA-S400 is a little easier to drive than the CAL!, which in turn is a little easier to drive than the UE6000.

The UE6000 is the best in terms of isolation, and it is over-ear (circumaural).  The HA-S400 is on-ear.  The CAL! is somewhere between on-ear and over-ear and between the HA-S400 and the UE6000 in terms of isolation.  For me, the UE6000 is more comfortable than the CAL!, which is more comfortable than the HA-S400.

In terms of sound quality, all three headphones have comparable detail retrieval: you can hear the same sounds with all three headphones.  (A set that I own and has better detail retrieval is the Beyerdynamic DT250-250.)

The UE6000 is a little dark (shelved-down highs). The CAL! and HA-S400 are more treble-oriented.  The CAL! is a little less "full" sounding than the UE-6000.  The HA-S400 is a little less "full" sounding than the CAL!.

If I were to choose on sound alone, the CAL! and the UE6000 would be about equal, and a little better than the HA-S400, which in comparison sounds a little "tinny." I would give a slight advantage to the CAL! over the UE6000 for the kind of music I listen to (classical, including opera, West African, some jazz, some Italian pop).

If I were to choose on convenience, the UE6000 would be my choice, because of its superior isolation and very good comfort.  On a recent plane trip, I could actually enjoy a DVD of Susan Tedeschi playing at Austin City Limits with the UE 6000 on active mode.  I do not think I could have enjoyed it with the CAL! or the HA-S400.

I hope this helps. Also: remember that it is fun to look at headphone choices, but in the end you want to enjoy the music!

I think, then, the UE 6000 is the winner here. If and when I can find it, preferably as cheap as possible. Thanks for playing guys.

Feb 23, 2014 at 9:51 PM Post #20 of 25
Right. So, I guess the question now is, do I buy it at $120? Or do I wait for a sale? These seem to be EOL, and I can't find them anywhere. Do you guys maybe know where I could find them cheaper than $120 here in Canada online? Or a US store that will ship to Canada?

Feb 23, 2014 at 11:19 PM Post #21 of 25
  Right. So, I guess the question now is, do I buy it at $120? Or do I wait for a sale? These seem to be EOL, and I can't find them anywhere. Do you guys maybe know where I could find them cheaper than $120 here in Canada online? Or a US store that will ship to Canada?

As far as I know, these were on clearance by every retailer (Futureshop, Best Buy, Tiger Direct, even The Bay).
NCIX still has plenty of stock at $120. I suggest you wait for a sale if you aren't in a hurry.

Feb 26, 2014 at 10:35 PM Post #23 of 25
  The ones at NCIX are on sale right now though. I guess they're regular $199, and they're on sale til Wednesday. I guess I'm making the decision by then.

You're in luck, better get them quick, $89.99 right now

http://products.ncix.com/detail/logitech-ue-6000-noise-canceling-d9-92142-1064.htm

Feb 26, 2014 at 10:52 PM Post #24 of 25

You're in luck, better get them quick, $89.99 right now

http://products.ncix.com/detail/logitech-ue-6000-noise-canceling-d9-92142-1064.htm

Thank you for the heads up. I actually just purchased them from NCIX yesterday, so I'll call them tomorrow and get them to refund the difference if possible. And it damn well better be possible.

Mar 1, 2014 at 8:26 PM Post #25 of 25
Just posting for those wondering. Got the price difference, and received my pair of Logitech UE 6000s yesterday. I must say I am quite pleased. They sound great! Maybe a little bassy, but I'm not sure I mind. Thanks for the recommendations everybody. You have helped make me very happy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back