For the price, anything to rival Audio-Technica ATH-M40X?
Feb 16, 2020 at 8:40 AM Post #2 of 11
Hi guys,
I've kind of narrowed down the Audio-Technica ATH-M40X for a best set around £75.

Unless I've missed something?
No offense, but M40X isn't really a good headphone. If looking for value priced closed-backs, the ones to shoot for are dt770 250 ohms, Drop Meze classic, K371, or maybe other I'm not aware of. Mod House Argon is another at a higher tiered pricing.

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2020 at 8:41 AM Post #3 of 11
Hi guys,
I've kind of narrowed down the Audio-Technica ATH-M40X for a best set around £75.

Unless I've missed something?

Well it depends on a few factors:
1) Preferred music genre?
2) Preferred sound signature - do u like V shaped, harman curve tuning, neutral, basshead, treblehead, midcentric etc?
3) Do u require isolation?

The ATH M40X is a not too bad entry level set of cans, but it is quite neutral in tuning. Actually I think it is more meant for audio work like studio monitoring, mixing etc rather than general music listening as it can be boring. But if u really want to hear what was recorded in the music without the colouring of any frequencies, then the M40X is good for the price IMHO. Technical aspects like clarity, imaging, details, instrument separation are decent but not the best, soundstage is not as good as open back cans as expected. One area I didn't really like about the M40X is that it is pretty uncomfortable with longer usage due to the clamp and smaller pads (I wear specs, so YMMV).

There's a bigger brother called the M50X which has boosted bass, so it's more consumer friendly in a way.

Feb 16, 2020 at 8:44 AM Post #4 of 11
Well it depends on a few factors:
1) Preferred music genre?
2) Preferred sound signature - do u like V shaped, harman curve tuning, neutral, basshead, treblehead, midcentric etc?
3) Do u require isolation?

The ATH M40X is a not too bad entry level set of cans, but it is quite neutral in tuning. Actually I think it is more meant for audio work like studio monitoring, mixing etc rather than general music listening as it can be boring. But if u really want to hear what was recorded in the music without the colouring of any frequencies, then the M40X is good for the price IMHO. Technical aspects like clarity, imaging, details, instrument separation are decent but not the best, soundstage is not as good as open back cans as expected. One area I didn't really like about the M40X is that it is pretty uncomfortable with longer usage due to the clamp and smaller pads (I wear specs, so YMMV).

There's a bigger brother called the M50X which has boosted bass, so it's more consumer friendly in a way.
I can't call it neutral and I can't see it as a studio monitor. It's that bad. It's not a reference headphone.

Feb 16, 2020 at 8:45 AM Post #5 of 11
Thanks,
actually - I do a lot of home recording, semi-professional. Hence being drawn to the non-colouring of the M40X's.

I don't really want excessive lows or highs - I know the recent trend has been to lower the lows aka Beats etc.

Ideally, Bluetooth would be handy if if had zero latency which I appreciate is a tough call.

Feb 16, 2020 at 8:49 AM Post #6 of 11
Thanks,
actually - I do a lot of home recording, semi-professional. Hence being drawn to the non-colouring of the M40X's.

I don't really want excessive lows or highs - I know the recent trend has been to lower the lows aka Beats etc.

Ideally, Bluetooth would be handy if if had zero latency which I appreciate is a tough call.
Must it be closed-backs? If ok with open, go for HD600 or 650. They are better suited, but the sub-bass isn't if you mix electronic or pop with deep bass. Cheaper option Sennheiser is Drop HD58X, which is similar sound as the other two.

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2020 at 8:50 AM Post #7 of 11
I have heard the M40X's, I thought they were certianly less coloured than the Beyer Dynamic DT770 Pro's - which were so over on the bass and treble, they became unusable for studio work.

Feb 16, 2020 at 8:55 AM Post #9 of 11
I have heard the M40X's, I thought they were certianly less coloured than the Beyer Dynamic DT770 Pro's - which were so over on the bass and treble, they became unusable for studio work.
I found DT770 more accurate. M40X mids was terrible and this is a problem with the lower priced closed-backs. I can't imgine mixing with such a terrible headphone.

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2020 at 8:58 AM Post #10 of 11
Thanks,

The new Solo Pros have a response that would be considered more or less 'neutral.' Beats tuning has changed over the years, they don't just boost bass like they used to.

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2020 at 9:08 AM Post #11 of 11
OK cool - thanks for the suggestions.

There's a heap of reviews out there praising the 40's like for being great for studio work, which is why I come to forums to get opinion. I'll check out a few of your suggestions - I have a decent outlet near me that has some of those in stock actually.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back