For the love of god, recommend me a ROUTER!
Mar 27, 2008 at 4:52 AM Post #16 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by jgonino /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No love for Netgear? I use a WGT-624 V3, and I works flawlessly. Good fast wireless coverage on 2 floors, and I have never lost connection.

that's what i am using, but the computer far away downstair sometimes lose signal with it's intergrated wifi card, or those usb, doesnt get a full 5bars without being 30ft or closer. otherwize my experience with Netgear has always been good.

Quote:

Originally Posted by brotherlen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've heard nothing but good things about the D-Link Xtreme "N" router, I'll pick up one in the coming weeks. Has Gigabit LAN ports in the back. Depending on your budget, the wireless "N" routers are leveling out in price. Worth checking out. All "N" are backwards compatable with B,G signals. Also the range is greater than normal G. Or if your feeling froggy, Hack Attack: Turn your $60 router into a $600 router

hey thanks, i was going to sell out for the netgear rangemax, but i should try this out.

edit: just spend a good 2 hours trying it out on my wrt54g, i bricked the firmware the first time, but reseted it and got it working. it seem to be working good, i don't know about improvements, but the speed is good, and i could notice my computer downstair able to get a 5bar signal now. will see if it stays consistent. thanks!

Mar 29, 2008 at 12:20 PM Post #20 of 31
I highly recommend the Apple AirPort Extreme.
Bought mine 4 years ago, and been running without a single hick-up so far.

Mar 29, 2008 at 6:36 PM Post #21 of 31
Depends on what you are going to use it for. If you have a need to run with many connection (many PCs or running webclients) you will need a small business router in order to prevent lag. Like Nebby said the best and most stable wireless routers are the ones that can be firmware modded to either DD-WRT or Tomato, I personally prefer DD-WRT, but they are both much better than stock.

Mar 29, 2008 at 7:35 PM Post #22 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Clutz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If I had the money, I would get an Apple Airport Extreme.

How is the range compared to others, really? The lack of antennas doesn't instil much confidence in me, considering MIMO requires 3 or more antennas. Does Airport Extreme support MIMO?

Mar 29, 2008 at 7:41 PM Post #23 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by jmmtn4aj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How is the range compared to others, really? The lack of antennas doesn't instil much confidence in me, considering MIMO requires 3 or more antennas. Does Airport Extreme support MIMO?

It doesn't have three visible external antennas, but that doesn't mean it doesn't have three antennas. I think that the features it has are fantastic - being able to hook up a printer and USB drive via a usb hub plugged into the Airport Extreme's USB port is a killer feature.

Apr 21, 2008 at 11:18 PM Post #24 of 31
My wife, who teaches technology, and I switched recently from a Linksys to an Apple. What a difference! Set-up was very easy and it works well. The Linksys was a real pain in the you-know-what.

Anyone want to buy a Linksys G router cheap?

Mooch

Apr 22, 2008 at 3:49 PM Post #25 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by jmmtn4aj /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Mine seems to allow me to go anywhere in my house and front and back
yard never really measured but i would say an easy 60ft radius.

Apr 22, 2008 at 7:08 PM Post #28 of 31
Another vote for the Apple Airport Extreme. Features are amazing and, as always with Apple, totally simple to set-up and use.

As for range, I have mine on the second floor of our house and can walk down the block with a laptop and stay connected for about half a block before any loss of strength.

Apr 26, 2008 at 10:02 PM Post #30 of 31
I once had a WRT54G or whatever it was, biggest pile of crap I've ever had the misfortune of using, constantly crashing, couldnt handle bit-torrent. Absolutely useless.

Now got a Thomson Speedtouch 585, really happy with that, cost me next to nothing as well
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back