For the bassheads on the forum...
May 1, 2002 at 9:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Duncan

Headphoneus Supremus
...Buy a pair of MDR-V6 ~ but DO NOT use an external amplifier

I've just been listening to some trance music with my JMT, and as ever it sounded spot on, couldn't ask for better sound... but inevitable as these things are the battery died, so I only had the headphone out of my CD player (Marantz) left to use and the bass scared the hell out of me!! This really is bass you can FEEL, yes ~ I know we've been here before countless times but, I think a lot of how you get these 'phones to sound is with the equipment you use them with... try them just through a 'standard' source, and see what you think!!

Anyone who thinks that the V6 are bass-light really does need their head testing!! - for the first time ever I got a MAJOR bass headache!! and the miracle of it all is, that I wasn't even listening that loudly!! (FOUR out of Twenty on the Marantz volume scale!!) The rolling bass is very visceral (i think i'm using the right terminology here)... you could almost put your hand out and touch the sound... as strong as it is!!

V600/700/900 addicts... I would hate to be your ears if you think these Sonys are bass shy!!

May 1, 2002 at 10:11 PM Post #2 of 11
yeah, those V6's are somethin' in the bass dept., aren't they? there's some voodoo in them headphones to make them so capable of such bass.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 1, 2002 at 10:13 PM Post #3 of 11
i plugged mine into my dad's 20 year old panasonic stereo, just for kicks (I don't own a headphone amp because i'm broke
frown.gif
) the Bass is just too much for me: my head hurt after 5 min. the treble improved though. different sound than straight from ct570.

May 2, 2002 at 5:02 AM Post #4 of 11
I think it's because with a well built external amp the bass is more tightly controlled. The bass is looser and less well defined when driven from a standard quality portable amp, but for hard rock/dance/trance music, the innacuracy can actually be more pleasurable. I just posted in a thread about the ER-6's, stating that the neutrality of the ER-6's was not to my liking, and that I prefered the opinionated MDR-V6's, especially for hard rock/heavy metal.

We've struck on the dirty little secret of hi-fi...better is not necessarily better.

May 2, 2002 at 5:34 AM Post #5 of 11
i guess you could call me a basshead..... i previously owned HD500s if that tells you anything.. i have ex-70s now, and i want to get some v6s for their viscious bass,. i use them when i use the soundboard at my church, but thats it. i have car payments right now, though, and al that comes with a car.... and the car's stereo needs improvement badly... its almost stock. so hmm... im trying to decide if i should fix the car stereo or forget it and get the v6s....... decisions......

May 2, 2002 at 10:24 AM Post #6 of 11
Wish I knew where to get some in Aust because im a great fan of bass you can feel because I listen to a lot of trance/dance music. It must be really something if non-eq'ed headphone out bass gives you a headache

May 2, 2002 at 12:16 PM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by Jeff Guidry
I think it's because with a well built external amp the bass is more tightly controlled. The bass is looser and less well defined when driven from a standard quality portable amp, but for hard rock/dance/trance music, the innacuracy can actually be more pleasurable.

There's a ring of truth to that (but not to the rest of the post, which I cheerfully edited from my reply
smily_headphones1.gif
).

What people often forget is that there's really no such thing as unamplified. You may prefer the amplification in your cd player to that of the amp JMT built you (for whatever reason, including that it may be sloppier) but it's still an amp.

Personally, I'll take detailed refined and tightly controlled bass over a wash of rumbling visceral loose bass. Of course, the best are visceral not because of the looseness but because of the actual unattenuated depth of the frequency itself. But... not everyone has an RKV.
smily_headphones1.gif

(Nor do I at the moment... but I'm workin on it!)

May 2, 2002 at 2:20 PM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by Kuja
Wish I knew where to get some in Aust because im a great fan of bass you can feel because I listen to a lot of trance/dance music. It must be really something if non-eq'ed headphone out bass gives you a headache

v6s in australia are overpriced, retail is like 200 AUD.. they have the mdr-7506 not the v6. i bought my pair for 195 at www.musiclab.com.au

i listen to some electronica stuff with my md, no amp. i dont really find the bass overpowering, it's noticably constructed below the treble. that's how i image sound
smily_headphones1.gif
it's more of a tight rumbling sound. been listening to chemical bros' dig your own hole. what specific albums/artists have you guys been listening to, to give you the impression of bass?

May 2, 2002 at 9:27 PM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by becomethemould
what specific albums/artists have you guys been listening to, to give you the impression of bass?

Baby D ~ Deliverance... a kinda old, trancesque CD with real deep bass
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back