for techno.dance type music.....
Nov 3, 2001 at 3:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

jamie

Head-Fier
for techno.dance type music..... which portable headphone [either earbud or behind-the-neck cans] should i get? my equip. is a creative lab nomad 2 mg/

thx.

Nov 3, 2001 at 3:59 AM Post #2 of 19
Unfortunately, jamie, most earbuds can't handle the super-fast, super-tight bass that's typical of the types of music you described. And almost all of the behind-the-neck headphones sound like crap.

jamie, tell us how much you are willing to spend, and then we'll tell you which is best for those types of music.

Nov 3, 2001 at 5:54 AM Post #3 of 19
jamie,

I own the Nomad Jukebox. It has a nice headphone out (forgot the rating). My Sony 888s (earbuds) sound great with them, but earbuds do have their limitations because of their size. They just can't create the bass for that slam in techno.

You may want to consider:

Sony EX70 - Sony's canalphones. They need a good seal to provide the bass. I owned them for a week, could not get a good seal, no matter what I tried.

Etymotics - The best canalphones on the market and some of our bretheren's main listening cans. Again, you need a good seal to get the best performance. If price is not an issue, these may be it.

Koss - Sportapro, Portapro, or the KSC-35. Many favorable opinions because of sound, portability, and price. Never demoed these cans.

Sony V6 or 7506 - These are bigger headphones than the Koss. Lauded for their deep bass, comfort, and portability (they fold up). They can be powered by the Nomad's headphone jack without a problem. I don't own these, but I have many listening sessions with them.

Beyer Dynamic DT-250-80 - Similar in size to the Sony, but do not foldup. More expensive than the Sonys. Bass may not go as low as the Sonys, but it comes very close. IMHO, the highs/details are more apparent than with the Sonys. Very comfortable, velour earpads. I own these cans. I've used them with the Nomad, nice combo. Even better with an amp. Highly recommended.

Do a search on these cans. IMHO you can't go wrong with these choices.

Regards - reynman

Nov 3, 2001 at 6:04 AM Post #4 of 19
When I said that almost all of the behind-the-neck 'phones sound like crap, I take Sony's line of Street Style headphones as a typical example of how to make a pair of headphones stylish-looking, crappy-sounding, and waaaaaay overpriced all at the same time. I listened to a Jimmy Buffett (Songs You Know By Heart/Greatest Hits) CD - and I noticed that Jimmy's voice sounded thin, hollow and a bit tinny on those Street Styles (yep, even the $40 MDR-G72LP's). Jimmy's voice sounds fuller on a pair of folding Philips HS800 behind-the-neck 'phones (though the treble is a bit muffled). That particular Philips is okay overall - but I'd really recommend the Koss KSC-55 if you must have a behind-the-neck 'phone.

Nov 3, 2001 at 6:17 AM Post #5 of 19
The sound of the Koss KSC-35 does it for me.

I don't listen to music on the go much nowadays, but when I used to go jogging every second day these headphones were the crap.
:)

If you've just stepped up from Sony streetstyles / Panasonic or other earbuds bundled with your portable player eg. Nomad's headphones) you'll soon realise why some people can't stop praising these headphones. It does wonders for ALL styles of electronic dance music.

Nov 4, 2001 at 4:26 AM Post #7 of 19
Koss KSC-55!!

It has deep bass, that is nonetheless exaggerated (which should help with trance and such), because the thing is so tight.

It's the best streetstyle on the planet.

Of course, you should be saving up $400+ for the Sony MDR-CD3000's, of course, the best electronica headphones on the planet....

Nov 4, 2001 at 4:46 AM Post #8 of 19
jamie: the 888 will sound OK with trancey stuff........but the KSC-series will blow it away.....it's more of a detailed, midrangey type can (think: Acoustic stuff....jazz.....
smily_headphones1.gif
)

Nov 4, 2001 at 4:51 AM Post #9 of 19
Yea, anyways, I have the KSC-35' which are good for trance, but I think the 55's, with their exaggerated bass, would be better. My friend has the 50's (and a lot more trance CD's than I do....), and he says they aren't bassy enough for it.....

Nov 4, 2001 at 4:56 AM Post #10 of 19
I'm not sure if I like the idea of a particular headphone being suitable for a particular style of music eg. electronic dance music.

To me a great headphone is an accurate headphone, and shouldn't have any distinct flaws.

But then when I think about it, for electronic music, headphones can get away with having less-than-the-best imaging/soundstage/detail. Most importantly it needs to be able to deliver real BASS with impact, smooth mids and sparkly highs.

And if it's fatiguing that's a no-no.

I don't like headphones with "exaggerated" bass, but some people can't get enough bass (my friend uses KSC35 with MEGABASS ON, what a nutcase!) so the other Koss models might sound even better for some ears.

Of all my headphones (HD25, HD600, AKG240DF and Koss KSC35) all satisfying for listening to electronic dance music. Only the V700DJ is not.

Nov 4, 2001 at 5:02 AM Post #11 of 19
I think the amount of bass of the KSC-35/50/55 models will vary, depending on fit.

The KSC35 fit my ears perfectly, are too loose for my brothers, and won't even stay on my girlfriends.

Nov 4, 2001 at 5:04 PM Post #12 of 19
what bout the sony mdr-ex70... [the sony salesperson said its for deep bass type music......is that true?

.... btw i also listen to r&b/hip-hop? ..plz help me decide///

thx

Nov 4, 2001 at 7:23 PM Post #13 of 19
I've compared the 35's to the EX70's, and, yea, both of them have awesome bass extension, but the EX70's bass is exaggerated, even WITH the tape mod, and I like the KSC-35's bass better. So, if you want exaggerated bass, go for the KSC-55's or the EX70's. But I think the type of sound of the KSC series is overall better than the EX70's, it just seems better, you know?

Nov 5, 2001 at 2:15 AM Post #14 of 19
is the koss ksc-50 and ksc-55.... is the same thing? ... just diff. headphone type.. one is clip-on and other is behind-the-neck?

...btw the mdr-ex70 is that bad?..cuz i like the idea of isolating the outside sound.

Nov 5, 2001 at 2:37 AM Post #15 of 19
No, it's not that bad.

I'm just one of the poor sods for whom earphones dont seem to work.

Yet. All I'm saying is that I like the Philips HP550 better, except those, if anything, seem light on the bass, like the KSC-50's.

But, anyways, the KSC-50 and KSC-55 are the same, except for fit, which makes them uber-different. Hell, the KSC-35's are the same too!!

The 35's, cause those seem to have the "perfect" fit, or the 55's, which have a "tight, bassy" fit, or the 50's, so you can adjust the fit after you mod them. But I would still suggest the 35's, cause those don't stick out as much, and seem to have the perfect fit.

All of those KSC's use the same drivers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back