For Someone Who is About to Buy His First IEMs, OK to Spend Over $100?
Feb 13, 2012 at 12:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

ChristmaSFnatic

100+ Head-Fier
Or is it too much? Should I just spend something less than a hundred to first see my taste(so I can buy another one sooner than later if I didnt like it)? Or just spend for an expensive one and force myself to like it?

Which is advisable for a noob?

THANKS!

Feb 13, 2012 at 1:06 PM Post #2 of 12
First of all, what kind of music do you listen to? You can go around trying all types of earbuds (bass-heavy, balanced, bright) but it's advisable that you pick one that complements your musical tastes.

Feb 13, 2012 at 1:10 PM Post #3 of 12
Rock and roll(classical bluesy rock) like Aerosmith
Hard rock like Guns N Roses
Bon Jovi
Christmas songs!!!!!!!!!!
Some pop(Katy Perry)
Disney songs(Beauty and the Beast, Lion King, etc)

Thats mostly it.

Oh and I want Apple controls.

Feb 13, 2012 at 1:12 PM Post #4 of 12
nah, you can get 2 iems with sound sig that you think you may enjoy, then if there's one you don't like, sell it back on head-fi...when you find something you really like, there's no mystery about what you're getting into, and you know you'd definitely enjoy it. In my case, I like a flat, or mid forward sound, but I made a mistake of getting tf10 with all the hype, luckily I was able to sell it back with only a $4 loss. 

Feb 13, 2012 at 1:25 PM Post #5 of 12
There aren't that many with Apple controls... Only I can think of are Klipsch Image S4i's ($70)/S5i's ($100), ADDIEMs ($80), UE 600 vi's ($120) maybe B&W P5's for $180, and these Sennheiser CX 880i's (http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-CX-Audiophile-Quality-Headphone/dp/B004CQNTF6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1329157435&sr=8-1). None of them are really anything special though.

I guess for your tastes, probably the S4i's or CX880i's. But there are better options out there without the three-button controller.

Feb 13, 2012 at 1:35 PM Post #6 of 12
Thanks. Its my first as I said, so I probably cant notice the difference between an expensive one or a cheap one. Esp with only the regular iPhone buds that I only tried.

I want Apple controls cuz I found it very very handy in the gym or jogging.

How is the ADDIEM compared to the S4i? I can get ADDIEM here in my country for $90, or order Klipsch online and spend $100 with shipping.

Feb 13, 2012 at 1:55 PM Post #7 of 12
ADDIEM's are really analytical - they can really take a piece of music apart with precision because of the dual driver's. As for the S4i, it's kind of the opposite - they have a really "fun" signature, so in other words tons of bass.

Feb 13, 2012 at 2:29 PM Post #8 of 12

Quote:
ADDIEM's are really analytical - they can really take a piece of music apart with precision because of the dual driver's. As for the S4i, it's kind of the opposite - they have a really "fun" signature, so in other words tons of bass.

Not an audiophile, so I really dont know how will those sound in the end, but based on the music I listen to, which should I go for? And should I order online and wait 10 days or just get the ADDIEM on an iStore?

Feb 13, 2012 at 2:41 PM Post #9 of 12
maybe get decent iems + fiii e1 for $20 and shorten it.
for iems i recomend soundmagic e30 which is better than s4 or addiem in almost every way and costs only $31,5 shipped. mp-21 is also very good and it has controls already and cost only $18 .

Feb 13, 2012 at 3:04 PM Post #10 of 12
If you need apple controls, probably the s4i but your choices are limited. If you don't absolutely need them, I'd go with the Etymotic HF5.

Feb 14, 2012 at 1:30 AM Post #11 of 12
Thanks guys, and yeah I really really need them. It sucks going to gym or jogging having to pull out the phone, it distracts the flow.

And HF3 I noticed got controls(HF5 version). At what type of music does S4i do well more than the HF3?

Feb 14, 2012 at 8:34 PM Post #12 of 12
S4i's, at least in my experience, are better at anything that involves a lot of bass. When it comes to like say dubstep, they really give you that (for lack of a better name) boomy-ness you're looking for. HF5's are kind of the opposite - I tried listening to some bass-heavy stuff but it seems lacking in comparison to the S4i's. Not saying the HF5's have no bass at all but they're more on the balanced side.

That being said, there are alternatives with better bass control.

Quote:
Thanks guys, and yeah I really really need them. It sucks going to gym or jogging having to pull out the phone, it distracts the flow.

And HF3 I noticed got controls(HF5 version). At what type of music does S4i do well more than the HF3?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back