For Someone Who Enjoys PX100 Like Sound, What Is The Logical Upgrade?
Nov 11, 2008 at 5:33 AM Post #18 of 30
I dont think grados would be that great for PC videos. They arent the most comfortable headphones and are too fatiguing for me to use watching videos or movies.

Nov 11, 2008 at 5:40 AM Post #19 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by AZ Greg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the responses. As I said before, I think I'll save up.

Since those are right at the $60 mark should she get them? Or are the PX100s better for PC video use? I've heard that the SR60s are "punchy," not really sure what that means, but it supposedly is better for Rock music. So, basically what I'm trying to get at is this: Do the SR60s perform well as PC video playing headphones? Better than the PX100s for that purpose? Thanks!

The JVC HA-RX 700s and 900s are great for videos and music, nice wide soundstage, great bass, and nice details.

Nov 11, 2008 at 6:12 PM Post #20 of 30
Quote:

Thanks for the link. She isn't really concerned about portability so that won't be something to worry about. How about durability? I know one of the things I don't like about my PX100s, and she didn't like about them either, is the rather flimsy build quality including the thin cord. The SR60s seem to be a little more substantial, is that accurate? One more thing, how about comfort? I know varying head sizes will play a role, but is the comfort issue overblown or accurate? Similar to the PX100s?

Again, thanks for the link, can't really go wrong with a 30 day return policy.
regular_smile .gif

Some members seem to believe the SR60, or basically the Grados in general, are uncomfortable. Not for me. No pain or discomfort what so ever. I have worn the SR60, SR80 and SR225 for hours (4+ at a time easily) and only have found occasionally my ears got warm or itchy depending on the weather. I believe comfort depends on the person and their head.

I have traveled a lot with the PX100 (PortaPro too!) and they are still in great shape. I've had my PortaPros for 23+ years and have only had to replace the foam pads. Honestly I believe it is partly in the handling. If you are a person who throws things around then damage will occur no matter what. I'm not a care fanatic (no gloves, etc) but I do ensure I wrap my cords up neatly when traveling and have yet to need a cord replacement.

Glad the link was useful. Hope you find a great choice. At least with the 30-days you can try the SR's and always go to the PX if they don't suit you.

Nov 11, 2008 at 6:17 PM Post #21 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by jonathanjong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
SR60s...much pain. SR80s too, actually. Makes me sad because they sound great. iGrado, maybe?

Seriously? I've never had discomfort or pain from any pair of Grados I've had or used. However, I have had two pair of headphones that go behind the ear like the iGrados and will NEVER get another pair like them. After an hour my ears hurt like hell from the hard plastic that separates your ear from you head. Talk about cartlidge pain! Yowee!! Just the wind blowing on my ears after an hour was painful!!

Nov 11, 2008 at 6:33 PM Post #22 of 30
Quote:

Ok, I need your help guys and gals!

I recently stepped out of the world of crappy headphones. I started modestly with some Sennheiser PX100s. Needless to say, I really like them. Their sound style, and from what I read, Sennheiser's style, really lends itself to not just music but also to watching videos. They lack that "harsh" feel that some other headphones I've used have. And watching videos on my PC is my primary use of headphones, so keep that in mind. Anyway, I'm ready to upgrade. I'm looking to spend $100 or less and get a noticeable improvement over my PX100s while maintaining that same sound style.

Based on the research I've done, The Sennheiser HD555 seems to be the logical choice, which I can grab on Amazon for about $100. The reviews I've read seem to indicate that it shares the same style as the PX100 with regards to videos.

So in short:

- Is that the best choice, based on my conditions, for under $100?
- If it is, will I notice a substantial sound quality increase?
- Any other suggestions? Please list any headphones that are under $100, share the sound style, and are better than the PX100s.

Thanks!
beyersmile.png

you made the PERFECT choice... HD555 is the best upgrade around $100 for Audio visual entertainment headphone.

its got a great soundstage and its great for music..

but it also needs burn in..u need to keep running it on music for atleast 50 hours so they can sound better.

Guys...he asked for $100 headphones and u recommend him HD600...if HD600 was $100...wouldnt life be perfect?

Nov 11, 2008 at 7:48 PM Post #23 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by DocHamm /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Seriously? I've never had discomfort or pain from any pair of Grados I've had or used. However, I have had two pair of headphones that go behind the ear like the iGrados and will NEVER get another pair like them. After an hour my ears hurt like hell from the hard plastic that separates your ear from you head. Talk about cartlidge pain! Yowee!! Just the wind blowing on my ears after an hour was painful!!

It's an individual difference thing, obviously. However, the Grado headphones are notorious for having comfort issues, and I was no exception. I agree with the neckband headphones being problematic too, perhaps more so for the iGrados because they're thicker and heavier than average. Oh well.

Nov 11, 2008 at 8:02 PM Post #24 of 30
I consider the SR-60 only slightly better than the PX100. Apart from the different sound signature, the SR-60 is more resolving and the sound is a bit more balanced. The SR-60 also does away with the murky sound which you may have already gotten used to.

The HD555 is an OK headphone. It doesn't really wow you. The sound is laid-back and veiled. There's little to no impact or energy and IMO just a bit too polite-sounding. Sure you can associate that with a tame 2-4kHz. They're good multimedia headphones, but I would look elsewhere for headphones for music. The HD600 would indeed be very nice, but as that is a lot over your budget, why don't you try and track down a used HD580? The two sound pretty much identical to my ears and that would be a definite upgrade. Later on, you can swap in some HD600 grilles and HD650 cables purely for better looks and durability
tongue.gif

Nov 11, 2008 at 8:28 PM Post #25 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The HD555 is an OK headphone. It doesn't really wow you. The sound is laid-back and veiled. There's little to no impact or energy and IMO just a bit too polite-sounding. Sure you can associate that with a tame 2-4kHz. They're good multimedia headphones, but I would look elsewhere for headphones for music. The HD600 would indeed be very nice, but as that is a lot over your budget, why don't you try and track down a used HD580? The two sound pretty much identical to my ears and that would be a definite upgrade. Later on, you can swap in some HD600 grilles and HD650 cables purely for better looks and durability
tongue.gif

I agree; the HD555 is good for multimedia. And the HD580/HD600 is better. But I and others have found appreciable sonic differences with the HD580 regarding different grills and the HD650 cable. After experimenting with mine, I found I preferred the sound of my HD580 with the stock grills, the HD650 cable and the foam inserts removed.

Nov 11, 2008 at 8:45 PM Post #26 of 30
I also agree with the senn-line. They are very comfortable circumaural phones with non fatiguing sound signature, very good soundstage (which helps with the instrument separation and you get a more "surround-y" feeling.) With grados this is close to zero.

The only uncomfortable grados i've tried are the 325i's, which i own
smily_headphones1.gif

Probably because they're significantly heavier than the other models. sr60/80 etc. are just perfect. They're so light you can hardly feel them on your ears/head. One must be oversensitive to this if feeling uncomfortable...

But what the rest says, I also suggest that if your budget is only 100usd for the moment, don't bother,
smily_headphones1.gif
since the px100s are really quite excellent for that price and surpass even many more expensive models.. (in my opinion, the 555's too) I have these and porta pros and like them both. Save for hd600s. Great for multimedia use, music, gaming etc.
I think a computer sound card should be sufficient enough to power them. Of course sound quality significantly increases with a proper amp.

-K

Nov 11, 2008 at 10:10 PM Post #27 of 30
Again, thanks for the responses guys!

I had my friend read the responses and search through older threads in hopes of helping her find what she wants. After doing some research, she isn't really sure that she wants the SR-60s. As I said before, she is more interested in videos than music and when I asked what kind of videos she said particularly anime. And if she listens to music it is mostly j-pop, etc... She said she had read that the SR-60s aren't too great in that area. But she did like what she read about the Audio Technica ATH-AD700s. They are a little more than she wanted to spend but she says she can part with about $100. The few question her and I had were:

- For her particular interests would this be a good fit (the best fit?) for around $100 or less?
- Will she be able to drive these without an amp? She would mostly be watching videos out of her PC or listening to music out of her iPod. The specs are: 32 ohms for impedance and 98 dB/mW at 1 kHz sensitivity.

Nov 11, 2008 at 10:21 PM Post #28 of 30
Quote:

Again, thanks for the responses guys!

I had my friend read the responses and search through older threads in hopes of helping her find what she wants. After doing some research, she isn't really sure that she wants the SR-60s. As I said before, she is more interested in videos than music and when I asked what kind of videos she said particularly anime. And if she listens to music it is mostly j-pop, etc... She said she had read that the SR-60s aren't too great in that area. But she did like what she read about the Audio Technica ATH-AD700s. They are a little more than she wanted to spend but she says she can part with about $100. The few question her and I had were:

- For her particular interests would this be a good fit (the best fit?) for around $100 or less?
- Will she be able to drive these without an amp? She would mostly be watching videos out of her PC or listening to music out of her iPod. The specs are: 32 ohms for impedance and 98 dB/mW at 1 kHz sensitivity.

Finally, back to me for a bit. You guys talked me into saving up so with regards to that I am going to sell my PX 100s. If anyone is interested, they are lightly used (maybe 25 hours), like-new condition, black model, and would include case and all original packaging. I'm thinking $32 shipped, PM me if interested. Thanks!

You should delete your offer to sell, because it is in violation of this site's policy. You need a 50+ post count and post in the for sale forum.

The AD700 will work for your friend, but she might appreciate a bassier headphone. I suggest posting a separate thread for her.

Nov 11, 2008 at 10:29 PM Post #29 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1Time /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You should delete your offer to sell, because it is in violation of this site's policy. You need a 50+ post count and post in the for sale forum.

The AD700 will work for your friend, but she might appreciate a bassier headphone. I suggest posting a separate thread for her.

Thanks for making me aware of that rule. I edited my post.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back