For SA5000: M^3+Steps or SinglePower PPX3 through a Zhaolu DAC? Good idea?
Mar 31, 2006 at 5:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Veniogenesis

Headphoneus Supremus
So apparently I someone landed my hands on some hard earned money of around $600 for a new amplifier to go along with a Zhaolu that I will definitely buy. So my question is:

Should I get a maxed M^3 with STEPS or a SinglePower PPX3?

I don't want to lose a lot of speed and tightness, but I would surely love some musicality and "sweetness" with my SA5K. I also have a HD650, but my dad uses that can, and I care less about it then my SA5K.
tongue.gif

The M^3 is supposed to keep the speed while providing the sweetness, but will the tubes of the PPX3 do a even better job with the sweetness without losing much speed?

If I only I could afford the $800 for the PPX3 Slam... then my choice would be between the GS-1 and PPX3 Slam. But that would be another story. Or... should I just wait for half a year until I have enough money for a PPX3 slam? (Yeah, the extra $200 is hard to come by...
frown.gif
)

Mar 31, 2006 at 5:23 AM Post #2 of 5
The last headphone meet I was at I listened to the SA5k's through a M^3 and I really loved it. It smoothed out the hights and made it more lush. Listening to it through my AE-1 I couldn't stand it, on the other hand. It was too dry and bright, though fast as hell.

Mar 31, 2006 at 10:56 PM Post #3 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by iSleipnir
The last headphone meet I was at I listened to the SA5k's through a M^3 and I really loved it. It smoothed out the hights and made it more lush. Listening to it through my AE-1 I couldn't stand it, on the other hand. It was too dry and bright, though fast as hell.

What version of the M^3?

Apr 1, 2006 at 1:22 AM Post #4 of 5
It was my gear, Rockhopper M^3 "Home" with internal STEPS, basically midway between his current main configurations. I was/am using AD843 opamps.

Apr 1, 2006 at 1:23 AM Post #5 of 5
wow thinking of the same setup

but in a worse finantial situation
very_evil_smiley.gif

would like more inputs to this

Users who are viewing this thread

Back