For ONLY those of you who have A/Bed the PK2, PK3, and iPod earbuds at the same time...
Mar 9, 2010 at 11:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

AFK

Head-Fier
Which had the most bass?

Which has more controlled bass, i.e. punchier and less muddy?

Do both the PK2 and PK3 have as much or more bass than the iPod earbuds?

Which had the best the detail/clarity?

Thanks. Please only respond if you have A/Bed these 3 earbuds. Also only looking for objectivity as opposed to subjectivity, e.g. XYZ has more detail than ABC as opposed to XYZ sounded nicer than ABC, the latter of which means nothing to me.

Mar 10, 2010 at 12:12 AM Post #3 of 14
I have never A/B'd the apple earbud with these. I don't own the PK3, but I do own the PK2 and the apple earbud. I can say without any doubt that the PK2 sounds MUCH bigger and much clearer than the ipod earbud. I used both of them on my Walkman S639 with no difference in EQ settings. The bass is more detailed with the PK2, the mids stand out more and the highs, although a bit sharp, are much more crisp. If you were to A/B the apple earbud and the PK2, the very first thing you would say to yourself is the PK2 has a sound that makes you think you have a full size headphone on your head.

There is a night and day difference in the PK2 and the apple earbud. That said, the apple earbud is a decent earbud. Much better than many many earbuds out there on the market.

Sorry I can't comment on the PK3. But later when I get home, I might just A/B the apple and PK2 on a song or 2 to give you a more detailed explanation of what I hear.

Mar 10, 2010 at 12:18 AM Post #4 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by AFK /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And please don't say stuff like one is more fun and the other more analytical. What's fun for one person may not be to another. Thanks.

What's considered clear and detailed to one person may not be to another.

What. What now.

Mar 10, 2010 at 12:23 AM Post #5 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by stonyboys /img/forum/go_quote.gif

What. What now.

Very true. That's why ALL reviews are subjective to many factors. We all just give our own interpretation....it's up to the reader to come to their own conclusions.

Mar 10, 2010 at 4:11 AM Post #6 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by stonyboys /img/forum/go_quote.gif

What. What now.

I'm not asking whether XYZ is clear or detailed. I'm asking if it's more or less detailed than the iPod earbuds, and that's an objective observation.

Mar 10, 2010 at 4:13 AM Post #7 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by nonsupremous /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have never A/B'd the apple earbud with these. I don't own the PK3, but I do own the PK2 and the apple earbud. I can say without any doubt that the PK2 sounds MUCH bigger and much clearer than the ipod earbud. I used both of them on my Walkman S639 with no difference in EQ settings. The bass is more detailed with the PK2, the mids stand out more and the highs, although a bit sharp, are much more crisp. If you were to A/B the apple earbud and the PK2, the very first thing you would say to yourself is the PK2 has a sound that makes you think you have a full size headphone on your head.

There is a night and day difference in the PK2 and the apple earbud. That said, the apple earbud is a decent earbud. Much better than many many earbuds out there on the market.

Sorry I can't comment on the PK3. But later when I get home, I might just A/B the apple and PK2 on a song or 2 to give you a more detailed explanation of what I hear.

Thanks, this gives me a very precise idea what to expect in comparison with the stock iPod earbuds.

Okay, so the bass is more detailed. What about the amount? Is it comparable to the iPod earbuds?

Mar 10, 2010 at 4:27 AM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by nonsupremous /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Very true. That's why ALL reviews are subjective to many factors. We all just give our own interpretation....it's up to the reader to come to their own conclusions.

Most reviews are near useless and only confuse people more. That's why most reviews raise more questions than answer them. Saying that the headphones are jumpy and lively is meaningless as "jumpy" and "lively" is vague, ambiguous, and subjective. People need to start using measurable descriptions instead in their reviews.

Mar 10, 2010 at 4:57 AM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

Thanks, this gives me a very precise idea what to expect in comparison with the stock iPod earbuds.

Okay, so the bass is more detailed. What about the amount? Is it comparable to the iPod earbuds?

For the most part the bass is good but does not boom at all. It's probably the thing you'll notice the least with these buds. I really like bass to be prominent, but for whatever reason it does not bother me with the PK2 at all.

Mar 11, 2010 at 8:26 PM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

Which had the most bass?

Which has more controlled bass, i.e. punchier and less muddy?

Do both the PK2 and PK3 have as much or more bass than the iPod earbuds?

Which had the best the detail/clarity?

Thanks. Please only respond if you have A/Bed these 3 earbuds. Also only looking for objectivity as opposed to subjectivity, e.g. XYZ has more detail than ABC as opposed to XYZ sounded nicer than ABC, the latter of which means nothing to me.

I have the PK2 and PK3 and have A/B'd them. I did not compare the Apple buds at the same time, but I have enough experience listening to them. The iBuds probably have the most bass, but it's not necessarily better bass. The PK2 and PK3 definitely have more controlled bass and more detail and clarity. I would say that they have better overall balance and a more open/airy sound.

As between the PK2 and PK3, I thought the bass was about the same but the clarity of the mids and highs was just a bit better on the PK2 -- probably enough to justify the higher price if you can afford them, but not a huge difference. The PK2 and PK3 and both good, and quite a bit better than the Apple buds. Just my opinion, of course.

Mar 11, 2010 at 9:54 PM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott549 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The iBuds probably have the most bass, but it's not necessarily better bass. The PK2 and PK3 definitely have more controlled bass and more detail and clarity. I would say that they have better overall balance and a more open/airy sound.

that's basically the way I remember it too. I am somewhat of a bass head. Not to the point that I want bass to overpower everything...but I listen to my home system with a subwoofer. My Edition 8's are the best headphone I have ever put on my head (in my opinion), they thump like a quality sub and never step all over the other frequencies.

Owning the PK2 has never been about bass quantity for sure. To my ears, there's nothing about the bass that comes to the front of any song. I do find it to be nicely tucked away so it fills the space. The PK2 for me is all about how big they sound especially without having to drive them. I am sitting at my desk eating lunch with my PK2's on right now and I just finished listening to Dave Matthews Ants Marching from the Central Park Concert. At the end of the song he talks for about a minute or so. Dave's voice sounds like it's coming from everywhere.

The PK2 is not the best earbud on the market according to just about any review you can get your hands on. I will say that for 79 dollars, they are remarkable and achieve a sound so much bigger than you would imagine.

Mar 12, 2010 at 5:33 AM Post #14 of 14
Thanks, guys.

Okay, so the iPod earbuds actually have more bass than the PK2 and PK3, and I'm personally okay with the amount of bass the iPod earbuds have. But since the bass on the PK2 is more controlled, I might give that a shot then.

nonsupremous, you say that the PK2 is not the best earbud. What do you think is the best earbud for under $100?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back