For IPOD, ETys ER4P,S or Shure E3C?
Jan 17, 2004 at 1:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

ecosse011172

New Head-Fier
Hi

I'm about to buy an Ipod, I just lost my Etymotic ER6s which I loved but am considering upgrading. For an unamped Ipod which of the above would you recommend? I am stronly tempted by the ER4Ps, How do they compare to the ER6s?
I live in France so can't order to try and give back.

Thanks for your help
Denis

Jan 17, 2004 at 1:35 AM Post #2 of 14
I've not heard the E3's, but I've owned the ER-6's and now own the ER-4's. The 4's are much, much better than the 6's. I say go for the ER-4's and forget about upgrading. Get the ER-4P and the "S" adapter cable, that way you can use the P version when on the go, and the S version when using an amp.

Jan 17, 2004 at 1:41 PM Post #4 of 14
Well, I own all three (Ety ERp/s and the Shure E3c) and each has their place.

For unamped, portable iPod use, the Shure's offer good sound, decent isolation and greater ease of use than the Ety's...and they are a good deal cheaper. They also offer bigger punch in the midrange than the Etys which can be appreciated in raucous, portable circumstances. They definitely will drive the iPod to louder levels. Finally, many people here have found that the Shure's are easier to insert and offer greater wearing comfort than the Ety's.

I am not really one of them. I think the Ety's are quite comfortable once properly set-up and you just cannot beat their sound. The problem with Ety's is that they are tough to take-off/put-on when you are on the go. In those situations, I really appreciate the option that the Shure's offer.

Go read Bangraman's original review. He gets the balance points right, in my opinion.

Bottom line, you will not be disappointed with either.

Jan 17, 2004 at 4:55 PM Post #5 of 14
If you go the ER4Ps (I haven't heard the Shures so can't comment there), consider getting the S adapter. You still might find yourself going to them even with the 580 around. Different sounds, but both up for serious listening. That way you have a quality open and closed set. And the ER4S will beat the Senns is some respects. Plus the iPod is pretty powerful (don't know about the volume cap on the EU version if that's what you have) so can drive both the 4P and 4S. You may prefer one or the other at different times (depending on bass, clarity, etc. needs).

Jan 18, 2004 at 12:23 AM Post #6 of 14
Thanks Pat

I personally didn't have any problems inserting or removing my ER-6s so should think that the ER-4s will also be fine.
I'll check out the review you suggested.

Blessingx, good point, I like the HD580s but no use when I'm in the same room as my girlfriend.
I don't have the Ipod yet, I'm about to order a US one, no idea if the volume cap will be a real problem but rather would not risk it.

I have seen Etys 4Ps on Ebay for 220€ so sounds good....

Jan 18, 2004 at 4:22 AM Post #7 of 14
I am quite please with the shure E3c it has good mid range and bass. and this can is easy and comfort to insert for portable use.

IMO there are other good cans for home use and the large speaker system also have some edge over them. So I wil not use either E3c or 4P or 4s at relax listen at home .
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 18, 2004 at 7:39 AM Post #8 of 14
Oh you guys, I respect you for having great headphones, but, if you really want my opinion over the iPod, I think you better change, iPod does not have great sound output (even though I don't know it, I can guess by it's short battery life) if it had large battery life, it would have better output, that's why I recommend you for your next buy the iPod's competition: Nomad Jukebox Zen Extra 60 gigs (somewhere iPod will get in 2 years), Nomad Jukebox 3, Rio Karma, and iRiver IHP-120. Well ,this forum isn't about that, so, I really recommend you guys with the iPod to buy small and good amps, it will REALLY improve your sound.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
This message was sent from a happy
Nomad Jukebox 3 user and Grado SR-80s user

Jan 18, 2004 at 9:10 AM Post #9 of 14
i sort of agree with dimatrod...the iPod's power output isn't that great...i'd recommend an amp with it. but, something isolating, like the er-4p, which i use, works well and you can listen at lower levels. i really like grados with the iPod, especially the sr60.

Jan 18, 2004 at 10:00 AM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

Originally posted by dimatrod
Oh you guys, I respect you for having great headphones, but, if you really want my opinion over the iPod, I think you better change, iPod does not have great sound output (even though I don't know it, I can guess by it's short battery life) if it had large battery life, it would have better output, that's why I recommend you for your next buy the iPod's competition: Nomad Jukebox Zen Extra 60 gigs (somewhere iPod will get in 2 years), Nomad Jukebox 3, Rio Karma, and iRiver IHP-120. Well ,this forum isn't about that, so, I really recommend you guys with the iPod to buy small and good amps, it will REALLY improve your sound.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
This message was sent from a happy
Nomad Jukebox 3 user and Grado SR-80s user

This is the wrong forum for discussing portable players...but the iPod's headphone amp (in terms of power) is currently second only to the Nomad's, as far as sound quality is concerned. I own both an iPod and a Zen, there's no vast difference in sound quality between the two units.

On another note, battery life has nothing to do with sound quality

Jan 18, 2004 at 10:25 AM Post #11 of 14
I am pretty fixed on an Ipod, I have over 700 Cds so HD size is important so only the nomad zen is worth considering and is significantly bigger and heavier than the Ipod, The ease of use of the Ipod and Itunes, AAC support etc. makes it the most attractive for me.

Thanks
Denis

Jan 18, 2004 at 11:30 AM Post #12 of 14
I use a 30GB iPod with my Ety ER-4P and the combination is superb. Excellent clarity and sound, and they match each other perfectly.

Sion

Jan 18, 2004 at 1:38 PM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

Originally posted by sclamb
I use a 30GB iPod with my Ety ER-4P and the combination is superb. Excellent clarity and sound, and they match each other perfectly.

Sion

I have the same portable combination, and find that it's wonderful although at high volumes can get a little bright. It's recording specific, so obviously YMMV.

Just curious for the Ety veterans, I've been using the same filters for almost a year now, and even with good care it seems like wax has built up. About how often does everyone replace them? To be honest, I'm a bit scared by having to deal with things that small and am putting it off.

Jan 18, 2004 at 2:30 PM Post #14 of 14
I had a bad filter when I got mine sent direct from Etymotic. It was really easy to get the old one out and insert the new one.

So far, after six months, I have not had to replace a filter and they look very clean. I did get my ears syringed about four months ago and I think it takes a long time (years) to build up enough wax that it will run through the silicon or foam insert to the filter.

As for the brightness, I find that setting the EQ to Bass brings thing back from getting too bright on those tracks that need it, although I have rarely had thngs sound too bright with the 4P.

Simon

Users who are viewing this thread

Back