For HD 555/595 owners
Aug 23, 2007 at 10:48 PM Post #4 of 29
I have 595s with a Xin SuperMacro-3, lol nearly twice as dear an Amp. I really love it, but it has got lots of customisation[Impedance Switch, Amplitude, Bass & Crossfeed, plus 'Op-amp rolling'...] I'm also using a DAC.

I ordered a 2007 Headroom MicroAmp today, for its wall-wart.

Oh, I use the 595s directly out of my i5 playing Ogg Vorbis Q5. That sounds quite good in comparison, but the i5 a good source.

Aug 23, 2007 at 10:48 PM Post #5 of 29
Well, I have this Sansui amp/preamp setup as well which is usually used with the CD player and speakers, which I sometimes hook up the 555 to. And that is a really bassy amp, so if I want a warm, bassy sound then I usually hook it up to that amp.

The Denon home theatre amp (can't remember exactly which model) is probably what they would call more balanced or accurate. It doesn't have as much bass but crisper, brighter treble. I use that just when I'm using the 55 for DVD's or if I want to listen to music with more details which I feel the other amp might be drowning out with the excess bass.

I also use the HD555 straight from headphone out of my iPod and it sounds great like that too, albeit lacking the bass that the amp provides, but brighter treble in ways. Sometimes, I find that a little extra bass just makes the music fuller and complete sounding so I usually amp it unless I am listening in a different room to where the amp is or something...

Oh, and on the whole, the 555 is nearly just as much fun without an amp as it is without...amping just gives it some juice. I've read that HD555 is the one to go for if you're planning to use without an amp as well. The HD595 apparently need amping to shine.

Aug 24, 2007 at 12:20 AM Post #7 of 29
Why does every time I say something in a thread, it dies. Does not one person like me?
frown.gif

Aug 24, 2007 at 12:22 AM Post #8 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by muckluck /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Which is better off. HD555 with portable amp or HD595 without an amp?

hd595

then buy an amp later if you're not happy with the unamped sound

Aug 24, 2007 at 12:24 AM Post #9 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by muckluck /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why does every time I say something in a thread, it dies. Does not one person like me?
frown.gif

No, I am the master thread killer. Just look around the place, stagnating threads everywhere with the last post by 'DJShadow'
frown.gif

With regards to your question I can't say what would sound better because I haven't experienced the HD 555 but for me the better long term decision would be the HD 595.

Aug 24, 2007 at 5:49 AM Post #10 of 29
Hi

I have Corda Ha-2 mkII SE with HD595.
This amp brought lots of drive to my HD595.
But HD595 is not bad unamped, i could live with it that way.
It's not like my AKG K340 that REALY eats incredible ammount of amp power.

Aug 24, 2007 at 6:15 AM Post #11 of 29
Hi my name is Charley Phogg and I'm getting sucked into infidelity. I originally got the hd555 so I wouldn't need an amp( lol ) .... may I rest my case now?

Then I figured well, since the HD555 sounded do good by itslef what would a BitHead do,lol. Stupid me.

But honestly ( heard that before?). As all that was going on my pc died. So had to go back to an ancient model pc.

My music I listen to is not always the best of stuff(sound quality) , but I love my 555's and bithead. My favorite recordings are from being in The Mouth of The Beast(MOTB) ....... and that is exactly where this set up puts me.

I find this set up is very responsive, much like a good lover....... corney I know, but if you dont mind using ur EQ ,what can you say.

Needless to say maybe I'll figure out where to go from here in a year or so.

Aug 24, 2007 at 6:39 AM Post #13 of 29
HD555 alone is very good for the price (at least here in France). I use it directly from my DAPs or amped with my Porta Corda MKIII-USB. I can feel the difference, the Porta brings a lot of juice making the cans sound more dynamic. However they are very descent alone, and I usually use them unamped for practical reasons without being frustrated.

Aug 24, 2007 at 7:42 AM Post #15 of 29
I've only heard the 595 unamped 'till now, and it wasn't very good to my ears.
I'll have to try it with my amps (mSeed Spirit and Millett Hybrid), to see if it will help me like them more.
I'm much more into the Grado sound though, so I don't know how much my experience will help you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back