For gaming, Senn HD600 or AKG K612 ?
Aug 19, 2015 at 3:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Christo4

100+ Head-Fier
Hello people, i want to buy something kinda new for gaming and music so i wanted to hear some opinions if anyone tried these two headphones.
Mostly, if the price difference is worth it, by that i mean k612 is kinda double HD600.
I'm looking for soundstange, natural sound and most importantly, no sibilance. I chose these two headphones because i've read that they are ones that more or less are along these lines.
Not looking for competitive gaming (i can do well with the crapiest headphones), just more immersive single player.
Also, a small thing i want to ask, does the K612 isolate at all? Not really important, but it matters a bit.

Basically, for gaming and no sibilance, is HD 600 worth it over K612 if price/performance is taken into consideration?

Aug 19, 2015 at 10:04 PM Post #6 of 12
  Hello people, i want to buy something kinda new for gaming and music so i wanted to hear some opinions if anyone tried these two headphones.
Mostly, if the price difference is worth it, by that i mean k612 is kinda double HD600.
I'm looking for sound strange, natural sound and most importantly, no sibilance. I chose these two headphones because I've read that they are ones that more or less are along these lines.
Not looking for competitive gaming (i can do well with the crapiest headphones), just more immersive single player.
Also, a small thing i want to ask, does the K612 isolate at all? Not really important, but it matters a bit.
Basically, for gaming and no sibilance, is HD 600 worth it over K612 if price/performance is taken into consideration?

By isolate, do you mean block outside noise or block the headphones sound from other hearing your audio?
Both the K612 Pro and HD600 need to be used with a decent headphone amplifier.

I would say to first get a headphone for around $200 or less (AKG K612 Pro or K7XX), good enough for starting out.
Then later on you can max out your credit cards with all the higher priced headphones you will be tempted to buy.

I'm assuming your currently using a PC with it's on-board audio?

Aug 20, 2015 at 1:30 AM Post #7 of 12
Well, i have had plenty of other headphones, akg k550, beyer dt 880, senn hd 558 etc. Most i've either sold or returned either because i found the sibilance unbearable or not much improvement over what i had.

Currently am using an Ultrasone dj1 pro because it really doesn't have sibilance for some reason, good response time and soundstage for a closed headphone. Other than that i only havr a grado sr 80i but i can't listen to it too much because it either clamps my ears, sibilance makes it fatiguind or stuff like that. Good headphone though.

So i was searching for a new pair of headphones for gaming so i could play for longer hours and was open or semi-open with good soundstage, natural sound and no sibilance and after searching for some time i think these 2 are the ones i can get, k612 or hd600. There would be other headphobes as well but sibilance kills my ears.

Also, i have a fiio e10 i think, with a built in amp so i don't think amplification is a problem.

Aug 20, 2015 at 1:53 AM Post #8 of 12
I'm a gamer/audiophile, and I tend to recommend against looking for the headphone that will be perfect for FPS gaming and music. It doesn't exist.

If you want a closed gaming headset that also does well with music (but isn't the best ever) and has no sibilance, the Sennheiser G4me Zero is excellent. I haven't heard the G4me One, but is the open variant with slightly different earpads (velour and no angle). I have the Zero and use it when I need closed headphones for gaming.

If you want a great headphone for FPS gaming--meaning you specifically care about positional audio and have a good sound card--the Sennheiser HD598 is quite good. It's my go-to for FPS gaming. Not sibilant either, but it lacks some of the bass thump I enjoy so I don't really listen to music with them (unless I'm also playing a game at the time).

For non-gaming (i.e. music), I have the Sennheiser HD650 (open), Fostex TH-600 (semi-closed), and JVC HP-DX1000 (closed) for full-size. The Fostex has a small amount of sibilance that I'm working to rectify with minor mods, and the other two have no sibilance at all. Of those, the Sennheiser is good for most gaming, but not as good at positional audio as the 598.

I'm coming across as a bit of a fanboy for Sennheiser, but I mostly have their headphones because my ears fit into their earpads. I've heard some others I've enjoyed but couldn't fit for long term comfort, so they went away.

Okay, long-winded reply to tell you not to chase the dragon too far. I did, and I eventually realized I had to chase two dragons instead of one.

And, check out Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/534479/mad-lust-envys-headphone-gaming-guide-5-31-2015-beyer-cop-and-shure-1540-added

Aug 20, 2015 at 4:26 AM Post #9 of 12
Oh, i'm not searching for the perfect headphone.
I don't even care about positional audio that much, as long as there's no sibilance and a natural sound i'm ok with it.
The ultrasone i have are good for gaming, but i can't wear them too much because either my ears sweat or because they clamp my glasses too much. So i was looking for something open with less clamp.

Also, a question, doesn't the hd 600 sound change a lot if pads get worned out? Read something like that.

Oh and i had a problem with hd 558 sibilance and i heard hd 598 kinda has it too.

Aug 20, 2015 at 12:13 PM Post #10 of 12
The G4me Zero would be right up your alley. I don't wear glasses, but my buddy also has them and wears glasses and they're still super comfortable for him.

The HD600/HD650/etc. sound changes slightly as the pads get worn out. People describe it as night and day, but it isn't. Your ears get a little closer to the drivers because the pads get squishy, which gives you a little more bass and a little less soundstage. That is true with every headphone ever unless their pads are super thin to begin with.

RE: 558/598 sibilance. I'm not sure on the 558. I have some old 555s that never had issues with sibilance. The 598s are thinner sounding with less bass than the 555s (modded) and 650s. I primarily recommend those if you don't need a lot of bass, don't have a great amp, or really want to have a competitive edge. I don't find them sibilant, though, and I'm pretty treble-sensitive.

Aug 20, 2015 at 1:29 PM Post #12 of 12
@mindbomb
Competitive gaming maybe.
I don't really want that. I want more immersive one. Soundstange is good though.
And yeah they may be better for gaming but i really care about sibilance a lot, my ears are kinda sensitive to it... And i have read that k598 or akg k702 might have some so i'd rather not risk it.

@Luckbad
Game zero not really an option, while i don't doubt they are good, i was thinking of buying a separate mic so i wouldn't really need the on built one.
I'm open to other suggestions but for low or no sibilance headphones i don't really know what else would be good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back