For Games/DVD and Classical: Sennheiser, Grado, or AKG?
Nov 5, 2001 at 11:07 PM Post #16 of 19
I am going to bleeker stereo and TV tomorrow with my ancient Panasonic Shockwave (3 sec). Hopefully it has the same output as the headphone jack on the GTXP. I am going to try the hd 495 and the 570 with a couple cds and see which I like best.

Nov 5, 2001 at 11:15 PM Post #17 of 19
It's there, coolvij, you just have to go to the beginning of the article. The link Grifter provided just goes to the conclusion page. Here's a link to the first page of the article: http://gamespot.com/gshw/stories/fla...792240,00.html

They also review sportapro, a250, sr-60, sr-125, hd-495, and hd-600. They give HD495 a very positive review actually, although they chose Sportapro as their budget choice -- probably because of the price difference.

Grifter,

I find the HD570 more comfortable. It's the most comfortable of any headphone I've ever tried. Still, I find the HD545 very close in comfort. The HD545 are slightly heavier and tighter, and some people have reported finding them uncomfortable. I can wear the HD570s 4-5 hours without a hitch, and the HD545s come in at 3-4 hours. Bear in mind that the HD545 are discontinued and difficult to find. HD565 and HD535 don't seem to be discontinued yet (according to the Sennheiser website at least). The HD535 is readily available and the HD565 is less so. Both are close cousins to the HD545, in looks and sound. HD535 has pleather pads which won't be as comfortable as the velour ones found on the other models in question. I haven't heard HD535 or HD565 but others have said they sound very similar to HD545, and probably use similar if not identical drivers.

My only hesitation in recommending the HD570 is that for pop/rock/vocal music it is beaten handily by the HD545 as well as many other cheaper headphones. For classical, jazz, gaming, and movies it is great, and the comfort is outstanding. In fact, the more I think about it, the more I wonder if I really do prefer the HD545 for games and movies. I do prefer the HD545s sound (it does well with every type of music/movie/game), but the HD570s comfort and single-sided cable balance things out a bit. Of course since I use the HD600 for music at home, I don't have to use the HD570 for anything but games and tv.

If you want one headphone to do it all then I definitely have to recommend the HD545/HD565 over the HD570. That doesn't mean you (or others) would necessarily agree though. Since you've auditioned it and liked it don't feel bad about buying it!

Nov 5, 2001 at 11:22 PM Post #18 of 19
For games, DONT use the 590 or expect a bleeding ear
biggrin.gif

In UT when a rocket goes off or you step through a portal, the high pitched sound it makes is just unbearable.

*down boy*

Nov 5, 2001 at 11:35 PM Post #19 of 19
slindeman: I get it now
biggrin.gif
Thanx...and.....the HD495 is ONLY 60 bux! Come on, peeps.....just get it. It's the best open can for the price. I would kno......I've heard quite a few cans.....ok....i'm gonna stop lying now....
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back