(For Fun) 5 second reviews of all the hifi headphones I've owned
Oct 3, 2023 at 4:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

BrokeAudiophileMan

100+ Head-Fier
In Chronological order:

Stuff I liked:
HE400i: Decent all rounder. A little limp sounding but not bad. Overpriced when I got them in 2015
Oppo PM3: Very very good, very tight midrange. Decent in all regards
Sennheiser Momentum 4: Bass cannons with surprisingly good smokey vocals
Focal Bathys: Inoffensive good sound that doesn't sound BAD with any song or genre. Pleasant all around good quality sound.
Sennheiser HD600: This is the best thing I've owned. Phenomenal musicality, detail retrieval, and a certain "magic sparkle" across all frequencies
HE400SE: Sloppier than the 400i but also 1/4 the price so who's complaining? If you want planar, and you have like $5 to spend, these are ok.
Phillips 9500: Surprisingly good for a cheap headphone. Very natural and full bodied sound signature. Excellent with vocals for the price
Shure 840A: I can see why Crinacle 3 starred these. Phenomenal headphones with a slightly dark but still highly detailed treble. Great bass. Cheap price.
7 Hz Timeless: Are they overpriced? Yes. Do they sound good? Yes, but there is a certain sort of metallic twang and sharpness to them I dislike.
Truthear HOLA: Decent for very little money. KZ ZEX sounds better.
KZ ZEX: Fifteen dollars dood. Very good innofensive all round sound that is easy to drive.
Truthear HEXA: Hard to beat for the price and sometimes better than Timeless. Good all-round IEM with a neutral sound

Stuff I hated:
Meze 99 Neo: What happens when a headphone is tuned by a man who was recently exposed to a flashbang and has suffered massive hearing loss
Fidelio X3: This is not a 5 second review. This is what happens when a headphone does EVERYTHING and I mean EVERYTHING wrong. Firstly, who designs an open back fashion headphone? You can't take it on the bus or the train. It's a fashion statement nobody will see. That's stupid. Secondly, the STENCH of volatile organic compounds (VOC's) coming off every part of these especially the ear pads is ridiculous. I get a headache wearing them from the stench. The ear pads are so so so hot despite it being an open back headphone that my ears become goopey and wet within 10 minutes. And the sound? If the sound was great I could forgive everything else but oh my lord the sound is so bad. THIN, artificial, hollow, lifeless, lacking body, lacking impact, HORRENDOUS attack and decay, several troughs in the response graph make music sound wonky. I used them about 5 times tried different sources and cables. Horrible. I want to sell them but I feel bad about inflicting them on some poor soul. Might just run them over in the car 30 times then throw them in the bin.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back