For Electronic + Rock n Roll: SE 846 or IE 800?
Dec 9, 2015 at 11:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

cmacsocial

100+ Head-Fier
Before I plunk down hundreds, I really need your expertise. I recently bought a FiiO X5ii and FiiO E12A amp. Next: The headphones...the big spend. 

I mainly listen to FLAC files from HDTracks: rock-n-roll (80s, 90s, 2000s...Huey Lewis, Linkin Park, etc.) and *especially* FLAC files in the trance/house/electronic genre (Tiesto, Armin Van Buuren, etc.) Two questions:

1) Going for Sennheiser IE800 or Shure SE846. Which IEM will be best for my musical tastes? 
2) Will the FiiO E12A do those IEMs justice, or do I need to spend on a Portaphile Micro or Vorzuge Pure II+ (or even an Aurender Flow)? Reviews indicate those perform well with IEMs.

What else do I need to consider? Thank you for your help!

Dec 10, 2015 at 3:26 PM Post #3 of 6
Sine you already seem to have decided on these two IEMs , I recommend you hitting the dedicated threads of SE846 and IE800.. and also the E21A thread.. 

Dec 10, 2015 at 5:00 PM Post #4 of 6
  Sine you already seem to have decided on these two IEMs , I recommend you hitting the dedicated threads of SE846 and IE800.. and also the E21A thread.. 

Thank you. I did see the threads, but they are hundreds of pages long...I'll just need to set aside some time to scour them. Was curious if there was a quick-and-dirty answer to "x is best for the music genres you mentioned", or "with headphones of that level, the E12A won't do it justice".

Dec 10, 2015 at 5:31 PM Post #5 of 6
  Thank you. I did see the threads, but they are hundreds of pages long...I'll just need to set aside some time to scour them. Was curious if there was a quick-and-dirty answer to "x is best for the music genres you mentioned", or "with headphones of that level, the E12A won't do it justice".

Oh I certainly don't want you to read those hundreds of pages.. What I meant was: post your question there and you can expect more and quicker response from people over there as there are more members and owners who have subscribed to those threads.

I haven't heard either, but I am looking to upgrade my IEMs soon and as of now, I am kind of settled on SE846. Based on what I have read extensively about these two:

Bass: IE800
Mids: SE846
Treble: Tie
Soundstage: IE800
Build: Tie
Isolation: SE846
Overall clarity, resolution, instrument separation and layering: SE846

SE846 comes with 3 tuning filters that you can swap to get the sound signature that you prefer: warm, bright or neutral. It has 4 balanced armature drivers which offers resolution and detail that is a step-up from dynamic drivers. Sounds a bit analytical.

IE800 is overall warm. The bass is deep and has nice impact. Crispy and musical trebles. Overall a bit more musical than the SE846. 

Be sure to read more reviews about these.

Regarding E12A, I am hoping to get one myself in a couple of months (if not keep at least try to see what the hype is all about) and from what I have read, they seem to do more than just justice to IEMs. Owners of E12A have nothing but good stuff to say about it. And E12A was designed to be paired with IEMs. Doesn't mean that it can't be paired with full size headphones. I have heard people who run their full-size headphones through E12A and they say it is awesome.

Dec 10, 2015 at 5:59 PM Post #6 of 6

Oh I certainly don't want you to read those hundreds of pages.. What I meant was: post your question there and you can expect more and quicker response from people over there as there are more members and owners who have subscribed to those threads.

I haven't heard either, but I am looking to upgrade my IEMs soon and as of now, I am kind of settled on SE846. Based on what I have read extensively about these two:

Bass: IE800
Mids: SE846
Treble: Tie
Soundstage: IE800
Build: Tie
Isolation: SE846
Overall clarity, resolution, instrument separation and layering: SE846

SE846 comes with 3 tuning filters that you can swap to get the sound signature that you prefer: warm, bright or neutral. It has 4 balanced armature drivers which offers resolution and detail that is a step-up from dynamic drivers. Sounds a bit analytical.

IE800 is overall warm. The bass is deep and has nice impact. Crispy and musical trebles. Overall a bit more musical than the SE846. 

Be sure to read more reviews about these.

Regarding E12A, I am hoping to get one myself in a couple of months (if not keep at least try to see what the hype is all about) and from what I have read, they seem to do more than just justice to IEMs. Owners of E12A have nothing but good stuff to say about it. And E12A was designed to be paired with IEMs. Doesn't mean that it can't be paired with full size headphones. I have heard people who run their full-size headphones through E12A and they say it is awesome.

Thanks! Am overresearching, as usual. Just wondering whether it's worth plunking down on a Vorzuge Pure II+, or if the E12A will cut it. Guess I'll find out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back