For commuting - AKG K240S?
Jan 25, 2005 at 10:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

tri

New Head-Fier
I've just gone out and tried a heap of closed phones for commuting. I tried the following:
- AKG K271
- Beyerdynamic DT770PRO (80 ohm)
- DT660
- DT250-250 and
- DT250-80.
Of all of these, I like the DT250-80 best for sound.

Then I tried the AKG K240S. It sounds fantastic to my ears. Not as harsh as most of the above, and a bit more clear than the DT250-XX.

I even went outside with them on. Isolation seemed pretty good. I got the salesman to put them on with my iPod on full blast. While I could hear it, it was so soft, and I had to get within a foot of his head for it to be any level at all.

So my question to you is ... what's your opinion on the K240S for commuting (walking along a busy road / sitting on a train)?

Jan 26, 2005 at 1:12 AM Post #2 of 13
It's interesting that you'd consider using these phones for portable use because I find them way too big and leaks too much for portable usages.

Whatever works for you works for you, but I strongly believe these cans should be reserved for home/studio use only.

Jan 26, 2005 at 1:36 AM Post #3 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by tri
So my question to you is ... what's your opinion on the K240S for commuting (walking along a busy road / sitting on a train)?

I wouldn't recommend that type of use for the K240S, especially without an amp. The K240S is not efficient enough for use with most of today's portable players without an amp, and it provides little if any isolation against outside noises. I personally don't mind the large size for commuting, however, especially if I'm very uncomfortable using anything that squeezes my ears or goes inside my ears.

Jan 26, 2005 at 6:08 AM Post #6 of 13
Who cares?

Personally, I've used the K240S portably, and like doing so. I wouldn't recommend using them in an environment that's particularly noisy, however, nor would I recommend using them unamped. Fortunately the K240S doesn't need a whole LOT of amplification, just some. I don't know how well a Xin supermicro would work with it, but it'd sure be the best option convenience-wise.

Jan 26, 2005 at 9:50 AM Post #7 of 13
I'm not saying it wouldn't sound better with a better amp, but the K240S certainly sounded great straight from the iPod!

I will re-audition them on the edge of a busy road.

ReDVsion, do you find that too much sound leaks out and annoys those around you? (I'd be on a train.)

Quote:

Originally Posted by ReDVsion
Who cares?

Personally, I've used the K240S portably, and like doing so. I wouldn't recommend using them in an environment that's particularly noisy, however, nor would I recommend using them unamped. Fortunately the K240S doesn't need a whole LOT of amplification, just some. I don't know how well a Xin supermicro would work with it, but it'd sure be the best option convenience-wise.

Jan 26, 2005 at 7:44 PM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by tri
ReDVsion, do you find that too much sound leaks out and annoys those around you? (I'd be on a train.)

Well, they're not a Grado in that regard, that's for sure... but they do leak, and it really all depends on how loud you'll be listening. On a train, since you'll probably be pumping the volume up... I'd say there's a good chance other people will be hearing some of what's playing. How much, I can't say for sure.

Jan 26, 2005 at 8:19 PM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by TURBO
I don’t recommend the AKG240s (sound wise). They are comfortable thou. Just keep your sale receipt around or get a pair of Grados. Do a search and you will understand why.

Different strokes for different folkes. I tried Grado SR80 and found the AKG K240S superior. And I don't get how headphone people can ignore the fact that Grados are so very very uncomfortable, for me comfort is an important part of the headphone experience.

But as others have written before me, the AKG K240S are not for portable use. I have used them riding in the backseat, but they don't isolate particularly well. They can be driven from a portable player to acceptable listening volumes, but they do benifit from amplification. I mainly use mine plugged in to my NAD receiver in the evening or at night when I don't want to disturb the peace. If you like the AKG K240S and will be using them portably I suggest getting the K271 for the isolation. I know I wouldn't want to sit next to someone on the bus using K240S, I get annoyed from the leakage of people using earbuds that are open
eek.gif

I would recommend getting a second pair of headphones for commuting, and keeping the AKG K240S safely inside the house/office.
But either way you won't regret spending $100 on the K240S, they are worth it.

Jan 26, 2005 at 8:37 PM Post #10 of 13
My advice is get the AKG K271 Studio and let them burn in. The K271 is far superior to the K240 after burn in as their bass really opens up. I have recently tested them with my Wife's 4G iPod and it has no problem driving them. You may eventually find that you need a portable amp, but it is not am extreme necessity. I would not consider the K240 a good headphone for portable use, but then again I am somewhat conscious of my environment and don't wish to disturb my fellow commuters.
wink.gif

Jan 26, 2005 at 9:05 PM Post #11 of 13
I thought the midrange of the K240S was superior (and less fatiguing) than the midrange of the K271's. I'd much prefer the Beyerdynamic DT250-80's for a closed headphone.

This thread has been interesting! Many people use Grado's commuting, but they are apparently less comfortable and leak more than the K240S, but many people are advising against the K240S. I don't care how big they are. When I tested them, they stayed on my head when I shook it, but I will retest the isolation before I decide on purchase.

Thanks everyone for your advice.

Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox
My advice is get the AKG K271 Studio and let them burn in. The K271 is far superior to the K240 after burn in as their bass really opens up. I have recently tested them with my Wife's 4G iPod and it has no problem driving them. You may eventually find that you need a portable amp, but it is not am extreme necessity. I would not consider the K240 a good headphone for portable use, but then again I am somewhat conscious of my environment and don't wish to disturb my fellow commuters.
wink.gif

Jan 26, 2005 at 9:11 PM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by tri
I thought the midrange of the K240S was superior (and less fatiguing) than the midrange of the K271's.

It may be a personal preference issue, but more than likely the biggest factor here is burn in. The K240S is a very nice headphone for the money, but I owned them both for quite some time and it is not anywhere near as good as the K271S in terms of clarity, soundstage or imaging. The K271S has less bass than the K240S, but it is more refined. The K271S' highs clearly are superior and I found that both of their midrage's were equally good. The only downside with the K271S is that it is a closed headphone and suffers from some of the sonic comprimises that that brings, but that is also their biggest strength. I'll take isolation over a nice airy presentation any day when on the subway or a bus.
cool.gif
Quote:

Originally Posted by tri
I'd much prefer the Beyerdynamic DT250-80's for a closed headphone.

I have no experience with the DT250, so you may very well be right. From what I have read on here I think it is a matter of preference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back