For classical music and 700$ : headphones or speakers
Apr 28, 2004 at 9:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Bayerdynamic

New Head-Fier
Althought this question might have been posted a couple of times already, I was still wondering whether with a 600-700$ budget I should rather buy a pair of low-end speakers + integrated amp (for a small dorm room) or a pair of Senn HD 650 + cable upgrade + headphone amp, for mostly classical and jazz music. I've read that the HD 650 + calble is most likely unbeaten in the fields of classical music, maybe the Beyer 880 can compete with the hd600 but not with the hd650 + cable. And I listened to Sony CD3000 once and didn' like them (the highs) and Grado phones don't have the soundstage for classical music.
Of course, an integrated that act as a good headphone amp would be nice
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks

Apr 28, 2004 at 10:00 AM Post #2 of 8
I guess the question is what do you prefer... pretty good headphones or average speakers. I have pretty good speakers and prefer great headphones myself...

That said, I do think good speakers deliver reasonable violin AND reasonable bass. Going to sleep at night nothing beats good speakers for comfort (and a timer works a treat in staying asleep).

But for listening critically... give me some etys and a quiet room.

Cheers,

TonyAAA

Apr 28, 2004 at 10:24 AM Post #3 of 8
That's actually how I bought my first headphone. I you have a certain budget that's not too high, and you want great sound, then a headphone is the most economic way to achieve that. Try to find a pair of speakers that deliver an equal quality as, for example, a HD650 and then watch the pricetag: the decision will probably be quite easy. For just a little background music, you could do with a cheaper (2nd hand?) setup, and keep the headphone setup for critical stuff. But that's just my opinion...
icon10.gif

Apr 29, 2004 at 2:14 AM Post #4 of 8
One danger with 650's in a dorm room is that you might be tempted to really crank up the volume since dorms are loud and the 650's are open - and classical music has lots of soft spots.

If you aren't adverse to sticking things in your ear's I'd rate the Ety's as the perfect solution. Wonderful for classical.

$700 for speakers and an integrated amp will give you garbage, and then putting much of anything in a small dorm room with futher sound like garbage. Stick to the headphone in my opinion.

Apr 29, 2004 at 3:01 PM Post #6 of 8
Well this is a "headphone" forum, so I would naturally recommend going the Sennheiser route. Buying speakers for what you would spend on a headphone set-up wouldn't be very satisfing. I listen to quite a bit of "classical" on Senn 600's powered by a vintage Marantz receiver, and it sounds fantastic. So much so I rarely even turn on the speakers.

-augustwest

Apr 29, 2004 at 6:00 PM Post #7 of 8
if you are buying JUST FOR CLASSICAL, i would say the etys are your best bet. just make sure you get the er-4S and not the P version, it is lacking greatly in high end resolution in comparison.

Apr 29, 2004 at 6:07 PM Post #8 of 8
I'd say either the K501s, DT880s, or HD650s depending on how much you'd care to spend.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back