For audio only CD-Rs
Aug 9, 2001 at 5:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

squirt

500+ Head-Fier
I'm seeing these "audio only" CD-Rs for making music copies. Other than being 80 min capacity which is common with many brands of CD-Rs these days does anyone know if these "audio only" types have some special advantage as far as producing superior copies of musical CDs over "regular" CD-Rs. Or is this just a marketing ploy?

Here

Aug 9, 2001 at 7:29 PM Post #2 of 9
The audio only discs are designed for component (audio) cd burners. no marketing ploy involved. However, they will work with computer burners as well. (but the computer discs won't work with the audio burners)

Aug 9, 2001 at 7:35 PM Post #3 of 9
I don't think there's any benefit to using them over any decent computer only CD-Rs. I believe they are more expensive because the record companies receive some sort of "tax" or something from them as retribution for lost music sales or some bull$#!+ like that.

Aug 10, 2001 at 7:46 AM Post #4 of 9
Yep, audio only cd-rs (and cd-rws) are more expensive because a tax is paid on each, which goes to artists whose music it is assumed you will be copying.

They're designed for CONSUMER CD-recorders. Consumer units detect whether a "properly taxed" blank cd has been inserted, and won't use the less expensive, non-taxed computer type. However, professional studio cd recorders WILL use the cheaper blank cds, as will computer burners. You CAN use the "audio only" cd-rs (and rws) in pro recorders and cd burners, but why would you want to?

Aug 10, 2001 at 5:37 PM Post #6 of 9
The least expensive professional model cd recorder I know of is from Sony and sells for about 700 dollars. Sorry the model number escapes me, but I can look it up later if you like.

Note: Just because a cd recorder is sold in a pro audio shop, doesn't mean it's "professional". Pro Audio shops also offer a variety of CONSUMER format cd recorders for recordists "on a budget". Buyer beware! You may well find a better buy on these (consumer units) at Worst Buy or Circuit ****ty.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 10, 2001 at 5:50 PM Post #7 of 9
no, no need to find the model number, I was just curious, do the pro units sound a lot better than consumer units or do they just do things faster or are built to withstand more constant (ab)use?

Aug 10, 2001 at 7:28 PM Post #8 of 9
There's a POTENTIAL for better sound with pro units, wich such features as balanced (XLR) inputs and outputs, plus heavier, more expensive components. The Sony even includes mastering tools such as a build in equalizer and compressor/limiter. The Sony also includes SBM (Super Bit Mapping), which gives approximately 20 bit resolution from 16 bit cds, which will then play (resolution intact) on conventional cd players. So the POTENTIAL is there for better sound. I think the primary differences with most models (between consumer and pro units) are heavier, more rugged construction, and the ability to record on less expensive media. As for the "balanced" XLR inputs and outputs on pro gear, can your stereo system accept these connectors? (Most pro units can also accept "conventional" unbalanced inputs on RCA inputs/outputs)
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back