For all you Etymotic ER-6i users (ear tips)
Aug 24, 2007 at 10:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

navmau

500+ Head-Fier
GOOD NEWS!!!
biggrin.gif

I recently purchased the 6i's and hated the supplied foams, they are too big, take too long to expand and are WAY too expensive, to the point that i actually consider them a rip-off!!!
mad.gif

I wanted to experiment so I purchased a pack of the new Shure Black foam tips, these are the all new, tapered, non-porous tips. Aparently they can last up to 6 months
cool.gif
if you don't compress them too much, so they will keep their elasticity a lot longer than the original shure tips, the ety tips or the comply tips!

Anyway, more to the point...they fit the 6i's perfectly and are a perfect size and block out heaps of noise (I found these to be better than the Ety foams!) and are oh so comfortable!!!
etysmile.gif

Do yourself a favour, buy these tips and you will never look back!!!
wink.gif

Aug 24, 2007 at 1:47 PM Post #3 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by navmau /img/forum/go_quote.gif
GOOD NEWS!!!
biggrin.gif

I recently purchased the 6i's and hated the supplied foams, they are too big, take too long to expand and are WAY too expensive, to the point that i actually consider them a rip-off!!!
mad.gif

I wanted to experiment so I purchased a pack of the new Shure Black foam tips, these are the all new, tapered, non-porous tips. Aparently they can last up to 6 months
cool.gif
if you don't compress them too much, so they will keep their elasticity a lot longer than the original shure tips, the ety tips or the comply tips!

Anyway, more to the point...they fit the 6i's perfectly and are a perfect size and block out heaps of noise (I found these to be better than the Ety foams!) and are oh so comfortable!!!
etysmile.gif

wink.gif

Links or perhaps the name of an Australian store?
wink.gif

Aug 24, 2007 at 10:16 PM Post #5 of 32
Dove -- I far prefer foamies (Comply and Shure), but I admit that the bi-flanges (not the evil-looking tri-flanges) work pretty well for me, as well ... although the seal -- and therefore sound -- varies when I move my head in certain ways. I used bi-flanges on my ER6's and sometimes got amazing isolation on airplanes (removing them from my ears once took several minutes, due to the suction and air pressure changes in the cabin). I just like the consistent sound that the foamies permit.

I'm just experimenting with Shure tips (I wanted to use up the Complys, which I really like, on my ER6i's), and I hope they work for me. Navmau -- which size do you use: small, medium, or large? Let people know how much life (usage) you get out of each pair.

Aug 24, 2007 at 11:43 PM Post #6 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by LaBreaHead /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Yeah, the seal does vary, and it's not as easy on the ear. Vaccum effect really hurts and effects sound at times. But when I enter the ety foams, i simply can't compare the sound.

I get steady defined base with the small bi-flanges, and merely any with the ety foams. High's aren't as present and detailed, it makes the sound a whole lot more neutral. In a bad-non-detailed way for me.

But I think I'll try the shures.

Which size do you guys recommend for me if the ety small bi-flange's fit me great?

Aug 25, 2007 at 12:25 AM Post #7 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by nadavnaz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm the only dude in this whole wide world who uses small double flanges and enjoys them like hell? P:

Nope, me too. Bi-flanges are perfect on these. Comfortable as heaven.

Aug 25, 2007 at 1:36 AM Post #8 of 32
Aussie retailer: www.headphones.com.au sells 5 pairs for $35 with free postage and Ety filters, 3 pairs for $35 with free postage.

OR

Go to: http://stores.ebay.com.au/iDealSound for the BEST prices on the Shure foams and a whole heap of other Etymotic and Shure accessories...free worldwide postage too!!!

I used to LOVE the large bi-flange but with the Shure black foams, you will enjoy your 6i's like never before!!!

Aug 25, 2007 at 1:40 AM Post #9 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by LaBreaHead /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dove -- I far prefer foamies (Comply and Shure), but I admit that the bi-flanges (not the evil-looking tri-flanges) work pretty well for me, as well ... although the seal -- and therefore sound -- varies when I move my head in certain ways. I used bi-flanges on my ER6's and sometimes got amazing isolation on airplanes (removing them from my ears once took several minutes, due to the suction and air pressure changes in the cabin). I just like the consistent sound that the foamies permit.

I'm just experimenting with Shure tips (I wanted to use up the Complys, which I really like, on my ER6i's), and I hope they work for me. Navmau -- which size do you use: small, medium, or large? Let people know how much life (usage) you get out of each pair.

I agree, i used the large bi-flange and when i opened my jaw or moved my head I would lose sound quality. Before I got my 6i I had Shure e2 and used the medium foams which are the same as the Shure yellow foams, which are the same as the Medium shure black foams, so I got medium and they fit like a glove! In terms of life of the foams, I have only had it about a month, it is still fantastic, full elasticity, I just wipe them clean, so I would guess and say they will last me another 3 to 4 months I reckon.

Aug 27, 2007 at 2:07 AM Post #11 of 32
Quote:

I agree, i used the large bi-flange and when i opened my jaw or moved my head I would lose sound quality. Before I got my 6i I had Shure e2 and used the medium foams which are the same as the Shure yellow foams, which are the same as the Medium shure black foams, so I got medium and they fit like a glove! In terms of life of the foams, I have only had it about a month, it is still fantastic, full elasticity, I just wipe them clean, so I would guess and say they will last me another 3 to 4 months I reckon.

Thanks for the info, I guess the black shure foams are a good guess aren't they?

site_img_pa_pa910_m.jpg

Though in the pic they don't seem like foam tips at all, I'll give it a try. :p

Or should I just stick with my good old bi-flanges?

Hope the mid ones seal good enough.

Quote:

nadavnaz...I reckon the small ones, the medium ones are around the size of the large bi-flange tips.

But with foamies you do want some extra puffiness don't you?

Damn. I wish they had a try-out kit. I'm not sure my bi-flanges even go deep enough, I do get a good seal, but the bi-flanges are still visible if you look into my ear

Sep 17, 2007 at 7:51 AM Post #12 of 32
Quote:

GOOD NEWS!!!
biggrin.gif

mad.gif

cool.gif

etysmile.gif

wink.gif

Bump.

Yep, I posted the same thing - the Shure black olives are the best ones for the ER6i, period. No ifs, ands or buts.

Just do it, then get an amp with bass boost built-in
basshead.gif
(PenguinAmp "Caffeine" will be tested by me soon, but also consider the J. Seaber CMoy bass boost version). The bass boost amp really fixes the ER6i, but the black foam buds smooth out the sound ALOT first.

Sep 17, 2007 at 10:07 AM Post #13 of 32
I happen to love the Ety foams to death. I have larger than average canals I guess, but it took maybe 5 minutes to adjust to the tightness and I never felt them again. I'll just wait until my Ety foams lose their shape. Anyone know the expected lifetime of the Ety foams (peach ones)?

Sep 17, 2007 at 4:13 PM Post #14 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by pez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I happen to love the Ety foams to death. I have larger than average canals I guess, but it took maybe 5 minutes to adjust to the tightness and I never felt them again. I'll just wait until my Ety foams lose their shape. Anyone know the expected lifetime of the Ety foams (peach ones)?

Short.. very short. They're made of cheap material and liquid gets soaked in them, they loose shape fast.

I just ordered some shure black foams, I get good sound with small bi flanges (horrible with peach foam) but the flanges make my ear pressure change a lot. Doesn't feel good, so I ordered the shures

Sep 17, 2007 at 4:51 PM Post #15 of 32
Thanks, my er6i are on the way, if the flanges don't fit or sound right I'll give these a try.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back