For all of you die-hard cd collectors...
Dec 4, 2006 at 7:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

miTunes75

100+ Head-Fier
out there. I would like to know what YOU would do.

A few years back, I got this stupid idea to put all the cds in a binder and throw cases away. I still have the cover art liners but the back part is gone.

Now, I want it all back. Mind you, this is about 300 cds, I'm talking about. Alot I have to replace b/c my children have gotten hold of them at one time or another. I now am wanting cds just the way they would look in the store. When I purchase them, I rip them to my hdd and it goes away in the closet. It looks like it's on the shelf at a cd store when I pull it out.

Would you re-buy so that it all looks good? Or just put them in jewel cases and suck it up.

What would you do?

Dec 4, 2006 at 7:44 PM Post #2 of 21
Personally, as an anal retentive collector, I prefer the original cases... sometimes there are specific company logos on the backs, or specific patterns for the spindle in the tray, or dots or dashes to hold the booklet, or custom coloured cases, or stickers on the fronts. I've re-bought CDs just because a sticker was damaged. Don't go down my damaged path. If you're just ripping them to your drive anyway, just enjoy the music.

Dec 4, 2006 at 7:44 PM Post #3 of 21
(300cd x $15 each)(7%tax/2 (since some will be online and some in store) + $100 online shipping order = $4757.50

haha no. i'll just put them back in the jewel case. atleast the front cover, thats okay.

rather spend $4k on new speakers. as materialistic as this sound.

quantity is not comparable to quality, so i would say just rebuy the really good ones.

Dec 4, 2006 at 7:46 PM Post #4 of 21
I dunno, that's a tough one. On the one hand, I know I wouldn't be able to justify replacing all those CDs simply from a monetary perspective. On the other, if I had the disposable income to do so, I wouldn't hesitate. I think it's just going to come down to whether it's worth it to you or not...

...maybe make this a side hobby? Focus on the CDs you need to replace, but consider replacing them with unique editions, such as Digipaks or mini-LPs or even going the SACD/DVD-A or Gold disc route, if available. Will take you more time, and probably a little more money, but it could be an interesting way to rediscover your music, with the added side-effect of giving you the feeling of cracking open a brand-new discovery once again.

Dec 4, 2006 at 7:52 PM Post #5 of 21
not worth it. when i buy used CDs, some of the jewel cases are different colour so i switch it with another jewel case around the house. that really must suck w/o the back-side of the art.

did any of the CDs come in digipaks? just throwing that out there
tongue.gif

just listen to them CDs and forget all yer troubles.

Dec 4, 2006 at 8:12 PM Post #7 of 21
you could sell the cd's you ahve now in current form to make back part of the what you're going to spend to rebuy them all. there'll be someone who will buy your cd's.

Dec 4, 2006 at 8:29 PM Post #8 of 21
Don't do it. You'll be a lot less richer and you'll wonder exactly why you did it in the end. Enjoy the music, not the cases.

Dec 4, 2006 at 8:34 PM Post #9 of 21
I had the same issue, but replacing all my booked CDs would mean buying 500CDs over again. I'm not doing that. I just keep my new purchases in the case.

Dec 4, 2006 at 8:50 PM Post #10 of 21
Try to find the cds online, like bittorrent or something. Many times the front and back album art are included and you could just download that and print it out. Amazon might have some rear album art too. I guess what I'm saying is just try to find it and print it, but don't rebuy the cd; it's so not worth it.

Dec 4, 2006 at 9:41 PM Post #11 of 21
I think - worse-come-to-worse, I can just put them in slimline cases and place them alphabetically with the others. At least they will all be togehter.

Thanks, guys
smily_headphones1.gif

It's a lot of fun talking with other obsessive cd collectors / listeners

Dec 5, 2006 at 2:50 AM Post #12 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by miTunes75 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
out there. I would like to know what YOU would do.

A few years back, I got this stupid idea to put all the cds in a binder and throw cases away. I still have the cover art liners but the back part is gone.

Now, I want it all back. Mind you, this is about 300 cds, I'm talking about. Alot I have to replace b/c my children have gotten hold of them at one time or another. I now am wanting cds just the way they would look in the store. When I purchase them, I rip them to my hdd and it goes away in the closet. It looks like it's on the shelf at a cd store when I pull it out.

Would you re-buy so that it all looks good? Or just put them in jewel cases and suck it up.

What would you do?

Am I missing something or are the CD's scratched/damaged by your kids? If not (and the CDs are ok) are you just wanting the original packaging, and willing to have duplicate CDs? If so, I would only re-purchase CDs that were recently re-mastered. Unless you are worried about trying to sell them at a used CD store, I don't see why slipping them into new empty jewel cases won't do the trick for you.

Dec 6, 2006 at 6:36 AM Post #14 of 21
Given the choice between having 300 CDs in their original packaging plus the same 300 discs out of the case, and having 600 different albums, it's a no-brainer for me.

If you're really willing to drop that much money on CDs, do it the right way and buy albums you don't already have. Of course this is a great opprotunity to pick up better copies of stuff you'd normally feel bad about getting because you already own the redbook.

Dec 6, 2006 at 7:20 AM Post #15 of 21
If you buy all new CD's, can I have your "old" ones?

cool.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back