For a not complete newb....
Jul 12, 2007 at 2:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

ZackP

500+ Head-Fier
I am building a cmoy, but, I want it to be the best cmoy you can make for under 150, and I also need to make a ety er4P->S cable, any suggestions on parts for each. A zune is my source, and I listen to metal of all kinds, and punk rock. I have basic soldering skills, and have had an electronics class before.
Thank you ahead of time

Jul 12, 2007 at 3:04 AM Post #2 of 12
If you've got such a large budget for a cmoy, you may want to consider building a somewhat better amp. In fact, I'm not really sure if you can make a CMOy that expensive, unless you go overboard with audio voodoo on the casing / jacks / resistors / capacitors / wiring / etc

I don't know what size you want the amp to be, but assuming an altoids-sized amp, given your basic soldering skills and the fact that you're using a pair of etys, you might want to try out an a47, which is designed for low impedance loads like IEMs. an er4p=>s cable kinda negates the benefit of this particular design, though.
Some other good amps in this price range (or at least better than the CMOY):
PPAS, but it's surface mount and probalby not suitable
PIEMTA, but so far it's only been designed on a pretty large board which isn't really portable IMO
PINT, but it's discontinued and surface mount

oh right, i almost forgot, there's a mini^3 amp being developed right now. I think boards for the amp will come out next month or so. I'd say that's your best choice. It's probably still going to come out under $150.

Jul 12, 2007 at 4:36 AM Post #6 of 12
just put two 75 ohm resistors inline, on L and R wire. you could even build it into the amp itself - that would save you the hassle of carrying the cable and the amp around. this would be no prob with a cmoy or a pimeta, dunno if you can fit it into a mini^3. just looked it up - it should work with some free-air wiring.

you could also build a B^3 amp when it comes out - maybe I'll post it tomorrow. ok, forget the last sentence, this was shameless self advertisement
wink.gif

Jul 12, 2007 at 5:06 AM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by balou /img/forum/go_quote.gif
just put two 75 ohm resistors inline, on L and R wire. you could even build it into the amp itself - that would save you the hassle of carrying the cable and the amp around. this would be no prob with a cmoy or a pimeta, dunno if you can fit it into a mini^3. just looked it up - it should work with some free-air wiring.

you could also build a B^3 amp when it comes out - maybe I'll post it tomorrow. ok, forget the last sentence, this was shameless self advertisement
wink.gif

hmm, seems easy enough, hmm, how much would you say it would cost to make a nice pimeta?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back