Football (Soccer) Fans Gather
May 16, 2016 at 9:45 AM Post #136 of 532
Sure - I'm just saying he's still the reason people knew about PSG way before Ibra came on the scene. That's probably the first time they came onto my radar anyway.

I dunno, I've always felt like Zlatan was a bit overrated. I've varely rarely seen him do the business on CL duty over here. Admittedly there was the wonder goal against us in that England Sweden friendly a few years back :frowning2: , but I can't really recall much else he's done that's wowed me...

I feel that he is over hyped abroad but underrated in the UK. The guy has never performed badly for any team that he has played for. He has always scored consistently and been at the very top level despite his age.

Even at Barca where he was considered a 'failure' and played out on the left wing he was still averaging more than 0.5 goals per game.

On a different note, I'm hoping Suarez wins the ballon dor this year!

May 16, 2016 at 9:57 AM Post #137 of 532
I feel that he is over hyped abroad but underrated in the UK. The guy has never performed badly for any team that he has played for. He has always scored consistently and been at the very top level despite his age.

Even at Barca where he was considered a 'failure' and played out on the left wing he was still averaging more than 0.5 goals per game.

On a different note, I'm hoping Suarez wins the ballon dor this year!

It may be because UK football fans tend to be quite insular (and I don't mind including myself in that!) I mainly watch the EPL, very rarely any other leagues and I guess since he's never plied his trade over here, I've only ever seen him play for visiting CL teams + Sweden. Can't deny the stats though.

Looking forward to Wednesday night, or more nervous? 
biggrin.gif
 I'll be watching the game with a die-hard 'Pool fan. I reckon Liverpool have a good chance - Villarreal outperformed Sevilla in La Liga this season and they were duly dispatched! I guess the Anfield factor is missing though.

May 16, 2016 at 10:09 AM Post #138 of 532

It may be because UK football fans tend to be quite insular (and I don't mind including myself in that!) I mainly watch the EPL, very rarely any other leagues and I guess since he's never plied his trade over here, I've only ever seen him play for visiting CL teams + Sweden. Can't deny the stats though.

Looking forward to Wednesday night, or more nervous? 
biggrin.gif
 I'll be watching the game with a die-hard 'Pool fan. I reckon Liverpool have a good chance - Villarreal outperformed Sevilla in La Liga this season and they were duly dispatched! I guess the Anfield factor is missing though.

I have my lucky charm ready.

Inconsistency is such a big issue but hopefully they will turn up in style on the day!

May 16, 2016 at 12:12 PM Post #139 of 532
Zlatan really impressed during the last Euros, unfortunately EPL is the only european league I regularly watch, so missing out on the Zlatan of  things since then-  iirc I read somewhere that in just 4 years he is PSG's all time leading scorer, they have held the league 1 title that entire time, and prior to his arrival had not held it in 20 years- I'm sure his teammates had something to do with that but still... and at least with his ego he knows how to use it for humor 
rolleyes.gif

Suarez is incredible. They broadcast a lot of Liverpool matches over here that last year he played & were consistently entertaining matches, esp when Sturridge was healthy. ESPN ran a great story trying grapple with his... er... "complexities", well worth a read imo: http://espn.go.com/espn/feature/story/_/id/10984370/portrait-serial-winner-luis-suarez-soccer-most-beautiful-player

May 16, 2016 at 1:37 PM Post #140 of 532
My favourite Ibrahimovic quote was when he was asked what he'd bought his wife for her birthday. His answer? "Nothing! She already has Zlatan."

I can't help liking the guy's moxie.
biggrin.gif

May 16, 2016 at 4:24 PM Post #141 of 532
England squad for the Euros announced earlier today. Good to see Rashford get a call up, though I really can't understand why Delph and Wilshere are in the squad - and to a lesser extent, Rooney and Henderson. I would definitely have taken Defoe ahead of Rooney (who has done nothing at any tournament since 2004) and Carrick instead of Henderson. Maybe not enough depth to look at replacing Delph or Wilshere, but Noble has a good shout and not that he's had a great season, but Walcott has at least had regular game time.

May 16, 2016 at 5:56 PM Post #142 of 532
  England squad for the Euros announced earlier today. Good to see Rashford get a call up, though I really can't understand why Delph and Wilshere are in the squad - and to a lesser extent, Rooney and Henderson. I would definitely have taken Defoe ahead of Rooney (who has done nothing at any tournament since 2004) and Carrick instead of Henderson. Maybe not enough depth to look at replacing Delph or Wilshere, but Noble has a good shout and not that he's had a great season, but Walcott has at least had regular game time.

Roy says Baines and (can't remember who) weren't picked as they are injury prone. Then he goes and picks Jack Wheelchair... 
confused_face_2.gif

May 16, 2016 at 6:09 PM Post #143 of 532
I am so off football it´s crazy. I see 20 days to go and I know two players that play for our team. Zlatan and I think Andreas Isaksson is our goalie or he is retired? I will make an expert judgment and suggest Croatia will win it. Remember where you read it first :D

May 16, 2016 at 11:44 PM Post #145 of 532

Depressing thought: Rashford wasn't even born the last time England got to the semi-final stage of any Football tournament.

Jun 8, 2016 at 4:09 PM Post #148 of 532
So, the Euros are almost upon us... anyone care to venture forth some predictions (other than Croatia 
biggrin.gif
)? Favourite to win? Favourite to be the biggest flop? Dark horses? The majority of media and bookies have France as favourites and I must admit their squad looks pretty good on paper. Can't help feeling they cut their nose off to spite their face by freezing Benzema out of the squad though. I'm not sure Giroud is the kind of striker you can bank on for a tournament - he tends to blow a bit hot and cold. If the French continue to boo him, that won't help morale either!

Jun 8, 2016 at 4:42 PM Post #149 of 532
Belgium is the big flop of this euro. They will fall by the feets of Zlatan. Their defense without company of Company will be their downfall. Croatia will win.
Dark horse... Germany

Users who are viewing this thread

Back