Foobar's ReplayGain Processing
Aug 3, 2006 at 8:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Laptopia

500+ Head-Fier
If one converts from a FLAC file (with cuesheet) to MP3 using Foobar, the following warning appears in the text box (if you tick ReplayGain processing): "Warning: applying ReplayGain adjustment during conversion will irreversibly alter audio data in encoded file, unlike ReplayGain scan after encode."

Does this mean that ReplayGain is altering more than just the product of the conversion, i.e., the MP3 file? I ask because my intent is that the FLAC file remain unaltered. Any ideas?

Aug 3, 2006 at 10:27 AM Post #2 of 6
it only affects the output file... i use it all the time when transcoding for my portable player (i'm assuminf this is what you are doing as well)

Aug 3, 2006 at 1:42 PM Post #3 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by necropimp
it only affects the output file... i use it all the time when transcoding for my portable player (i'm assuminf this is what you are doing as well)

Exactly. I store all on my hard drive(s) in FLAC, then convert to MP3 when I want to load up my iriver H10.

(My H120 and H140 are Rockboxed & fully FLAC functional; the H10 is a pain in that it doesn't support FLAC, but the sound quality is so very, very good unamplified, right out of the H10, that I continue to use that DAP with my E4cs.)

Aug 4, 2006 at 1:16 AM Post #4 of 6
ReplayGain scan writes tags to the file which tell the player to change the volume. The player has to support the ReplayGain protocol.

ReplayGain during encoding means instead of writing tags it sets the files volume in a straightforward fashion, the player doesn't have to support the protocol, nor can this be undone (IIRC).

Jan 31, 2012 at 12:16 PM Post #5 of 6
I love resurrecting these 6 year old threads but I just realized that I have a good and fairly easy solution to the painfully loud output of the CLAS through my Stepdance. Currently I use a PAD to lower volume which is a bit clumsy.

The alternative solution is this. I already convert my FLAC and ALAC files to Lame V0 in Foobar for portable use. I am now going to do it again, i.e. Lossless  to Lame V0, but this time destructively with Replay Gain processing.

I already scan all my files for Replay Gain metadata tagging but this will be destructive processing on a new version. The iAP used by the CLAS does not implement Apple's Sound Check system (which is odd because it does implement Equalization and also the Clicker, both of which are useless IMHO).

I will then retag these volume lowered files with a different Genre name and I can actually keep both lossy versions of most material on my 160GB Classic. I already browse by Genre. In my system, Lossless is, for example, []Rock, Pop and Lame V0 is [Rock, Pop]. I guess Lame V0 with RG processing will be {Rock, Pop}.

It's not theoretically ideal but until I find an amp that I like as much as the Stepdance with better low volume control - or a source that can be scaled (DX100 anyone?) - or have a higher quality LPAD cable made (looking at that now), this should be quite an effective and transparent short-term solution. 

Jan 31, 2012 at 12:27 PM Post #6 of 6
Edit: Actually I am not using this system much as it turns out, just a few very loud albums that I am reprocessing at -6db and then putting both versions on my iPod to feed my CLAS.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back