foobar2000 playback settings and DSPs
Jun 14, 2008 at 11:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

Hadakan

New Head-Fier
How do you have your playback set up in foobar? What DSPs do you use, how and in what order? What do you consider most significant settings and DSPs? Is there something like optimal/best setting?

My settings:
volume 0.00db
Replaygain
Source: album
Processing: apply gain
(does this affect the sound in any way or is it just a manipulation of volume and nothing else?)
DSPs
Skip silence
Advanced limiter
(this interests me most, do you use that limiter? can it do "bad" things to the sound?)
Output
ASIO 2.0 - ProDigi HD2

Jun 14, 2008 at 11:51 PM Post #2 of 21
volume - various
Replaygain
Source: album
Processing: apply gain

DSPs
Equalizer
Advanced limiter - no longer. One day I noticed some kind of clipping on bass when activated. I can't explain why, I even don't get it. Since then turned off.

Output
ASIO 2.0 - EMU 0202 USB

Jun 15, 2008 at 2:20 AM Post #4 of 21
Volume: 0db
Source: Album
Processing: Apply Again
DSP:
1. Equalizer
2. Advance Limiter

Foobar-Asio-DA100-HP100

Jun 16, 2008 at 3:19 AM Post #8 of 21
0 dB, ReplayGain disabled, DSPs disabled, Kernel Streaming output.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT
I only have Advanced Limiter there to prevent clipping.

To prevent clipping where? Couldn't you adjust one of the volume controls (Foobar, Windows, etc.)?

Jun 16, 2008 at 3:21 AM Post #9 of 21
Jun 16, 2008 at 3:37 AM Post #10 of 21
I'm familiar with how digital volume controls work, but my guess is that a free software limiter plug-in is no better in terms of transparency. Benchmark recommend that all DSP plug-ins be turned off. They also say, "The volume control in Foobar2000 is of sufficient quality that it will not cause noticeable sonic degradation. However, depending on several factors, a digital gain reduction may increase the noise floor of your playback system." From what I remember in the DAC1 USB thread, the Windows master volume slider will effect the sound quality the least.

What I don't understand is, why would you need to limit clipping within the playback program when you can eliminate it at the next step in the chain (usually Windows mixer)?

Edit: Hmm... After reading a bit more, I might be wrong about Windows mixer. The unfortunate part about Benchmark's articles is that it's not clear if they are meant to apply for all systems, or if they are specific to achieving bit-perfect digital output.

Jun 16, 2008 at 4:03 AM Post #11 of 21
Volume: Depends

Replaygain:

Source mode: Track
Processing: Apply gain & prevent clipping according to peak.

PreAmp: with RG info: 1.5 dB

DSP:

Resampler (PPHS)
Convert 5.1 to Stereo (Matrix decoder)
Convert mono to Stereo
Equalizer

Output:

Creative XMOD (much better than crappy laptop soundcard)

Jun 16, 2008 at 5:06 AM Post #12 of 21
My understanding is that in difference from volume control that attenuates everything, losing some bits with data, advanced limiter just lowers clipping inducing spike leaving everything else alone.

Jun 16, 2008 at 7:35 AM Post #13 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And why Advanced Limiter is better than -6db limiter
A complete guide to Foobar 2000 - TechSpot
Foobar2000 Manual - DSP

Hmm, actually Foobar2000 Manual - DSP says "Hard -6dB limiter : Will do the same as the advanced limiter but it is limited to a -6dB cut. Preferred over the advanced limiter."

One more thing, I use ASIO 2.0 and that makes the Output Data Format greyed out. Anybody got any idea as to why? The only option I can change inside "Output Format / Post processing" is check "Dither (slow)". I don't even know what is Dither supposed to do, but I think it doesn't do anything anyway, when playing through ASIO.

Jun 16, 2008 at 4:07 PM Post #14 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hadakan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmm, actually Foobar2000 Manual - DSP says "Hard -6dB limiter : Will do the same as the advanced limiter but it is limited to a -6dB cut. Preferred over the advanced limiter."

Actually not, Advanced Limiter is a preffered way of limiting clipping signal.
limiters avalible in foobar. - Hydrogenaudio Forums

Jun 16, 2008 at 5:49 PM Post #15 of 21
Volume: 0.00 dB always

Replaygain:

Not sure about these. I've never touched these settings though.

DSP:

No DSP's in use.

Output:

ASIO4All

Users who are viewing this thread

Back