foobar2000 now supports HDCD
Apr 21, 2010 at 4:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Uri Cohen

Formerly known as HyperDuel
Just spreading this info out. Been out for a little while.

foobar2000: Components Repository - HDCD Decoder

As long as you make FLAC copies from HDCD discs HDCD decoding will work on FLAC as well.

Sadly there's no sign to tell if HDCD is on but the only way to find out is take out HDCD decoding from the DSP list and see if there is a volume change. If there is a volume change then the source material playing is HDCD.

Note: Will require a 24-bit DAC.

Apr 21, 2010 at 6:50 PM Post #2 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by HyperDuel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sadly there's no sign to tell if HDCD is on

Version 1.1 of the HDCD decoder:
"Version 1.1 highlights: Cleaned up a few things and added an indicator that echoes to the console on detection of HDCD data."

Open up the console, and at the start of an HDCD track it will tell you that it was detected.

One caveat: if your FLACs are tagged with ReplayGain metadata, Foobar does the RG volume change before handing the audio data to the DSP chain, so if you want to play back HDCDs in full resolution, you need to disable ReplayGain.

Apr 21, 2010 at 7:59 PM Post #3 of 7
Great news, now we don't need a HDCD capable dac!!!!!!!!!!!!

Apr 21, 2010 at 8:43 PM Post #4 of 7
Yep.... works for lossless encoded files. What I've noticed is that HDCD tracks don't tend to use the whole dynamic range, or at least, they seem not to hit digital zero nearly as often as normal tracks.

Apr 21, 2010 at 8:55 PM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by UNHchabo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Version 1.1 of the HDCD decoder:
"Version 1.1 highlights: Cleaned up a few things and added an indicator that echoes to the console on detection of HDCD data."

Open up the console, and at the start of an HDCD track it will tell you that it was detected.

One caveat: if your FLACs are tagged with ReplayGain metadata, Foobar does the RG volume change before handing the audio data to the DSP chain, so if you want to play back HDCDs in full resolution, you need to disable ReplayGain.

Thanks for the tip!

HDCD is good stuff. Nice feature to have and I don't need Bloatdows Media Player to play HDCD stuff.

Apr 21, 2010 at 11:01 PM Post #6 of 7
I use either dBpoweramp or CUETools to decode HDCD discs. dBpoweramp can be configured to identify HDCD discs when you rip them. I prefer using CUETools because it outputs a more informative log file that identifies what HDCD features were detected.

When I rip a HDCD disc I make one copy with no software decoding and another 24-bit copy with the software decoding.

The software decoder only is useful on some HDCD features and of no use on others. HDCD can have have peak extend, transient filters, and gain. The software decoder doesn't do the transient filters. So if the only HDCD feature in the recording is the transient filters the software decoder is of no use. Decoding the peak extend is very useful (more dynamics). Decoding the gain is just gain, no real use on its own.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back