Foobar2000 does DRC!!!!!!!!
May 3, 2011 at 8:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

jonmac

New Head-Fier
Somebody please say it aint true.!!!! Somebody please tell me Foobar2000 doesn't do dynamic range compression on my beloved lossless music. 
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamic_range_compression  
mad.gif
angry_face.gif

Please say it  aint true.....please....please.....

May 3, 2011 at 3:21 PM Post #3 of 18
May 3, 2011 at 7:39 PM Post #4 of 18

yea, i don't use any of the DSPs, just use ASIO in the output tab. But this is not the 1st time i've read that foobar2000 does dynamic range compression!!!! i'm too much of a purist to keep using it now!!!!! 
angry_face.gif

mad.gif

Quote:
If you turn off all the dsp's and set the processing to none then it does nothing to the music.

May 3, 2011 at 9:32 PM Post #5 of 18
It is a built-in feature, yes, and it might even be on by default (not sure, don't remember), but you can easily disable it.
Preferences > Playback > Processing: none. It's gone.

May 3, 2011 at 10:29 PM Post #6 of 18
Now that I am looking at foobar, isn't the DRC only for the AC3 decoder?  Which can be disabled, though it is not enabled by default.

If you still have doubts, jonmac, you can always switch to uLilith.  =]

May 4, 2011 at 5:07 AM Post #8 of 18
The Xonar card (if you're using one) also has DRC feature by itself check if you have it enabled, for foobar as long as you don't use replaygain and/or DSP it can't touch your audio. Another general information DRC is just a DSP that boost quiet section and lower loud section to a target loudness level, it's a feature of AC3 (to watch movie with AC3 track on normal environment without having your ear blasted with explosion because you had to turn the volume up to listen to dialogue) but it's not exclusive to it.

May 4, 2011 at 11:38 AM Post #9 of 18

Quote:
Somebody please say it aint true.!!!! Somebody please tell me Foobar2000 doesn't do dynamic range compression on my beloved lossless music. 
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamic_range_compression  
mad.gif
angry_face.gif

Please say it  aint true.....please....please.....

foobar2000 does NOT do dynamic range compression, except if you optionally turn it on when using the AC3 decoder, like Mad Max said.

May 4, 2011 at 12:12 PM Post #11 of 18
On a slightly related issue, I'm using -replaygain to lower the volume on some of my songs. Does that do anything bad to sound quality?

May 4, 2011 at 12:19 PM Post #13 of 18
This thread feels like it's more about foobar2000 trashing than anything else. I'll repeat it again, foobar2000 does not do any DRC or sound processing by default in ANY foobar version for years from now, and still counting.

I would like to see those sources that you have stating such nonsense.

May 4, 2011 at 1:27 PM Post #14 of 18

Quote:
On a slightly related issue, I'm using -replaygain to lower the volume on some of my songs. Does that do anything bad to sound quality?

I don't think so.

I think Mr. Purist shouldn't even be using a computer to begin with.  DVD players do a much better job with music playback.  Foobar slightly colors the sound and screws up the soundstage.  uLilith colors the sound differently and also screws up the soundstage, just not as much.  Reclock: same thing.
Out of my less than perfect DVD player, my music truly comes to life; my computer sounds a bit sterile and slightly muddy by comparison regardless of what media player and output (USB or SPDIF) I use.
And dat soundstage with my DVD player 
basshead.gif

basshead.gif

basshead.gif

May 4, 2011 at 3:37 PM Post #15 of 18
How does foobar colour the sound? , my pc set-up doesn't sound that different from my stand - alone cd player my pc set-up has slightly better treble and bass extension than my cd player but the cd player does sound more crisp analog and has a more balanced soundstage, the differences aren't that big though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back