Foobar2000 + 1212m = FUBAR
Sep 12, 2004 at 2:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

vanillawafer

100+ Head-Fier
Ok, this is really making me angry! I just got the E-MU 1212m and I'm trying to get the dang thing to work with Foobar2000 and I keep getting a can't open file, yada yada yada error when I click on a track to play. I set sample rate to 192000 configured the ASIO dll, opened up a new session in patchmix for 192 Minimum +4, but I can't get past this error in fubar2000. I read these two threads http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=73265 and http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=80641 and I can't get it working based on what is mentioned in these threads... please help.

Thanks!

Sep 12, 2004 at 2:57 AM Post #2 of 12
For one thing you don't really need to use the 192khz upsampling. If you want to try upsampling do 96khz.

Probably the reason you can't play anything would be the bit depth playing from foobar. Make sure you click the "Show All Options" and select 24bit fixed point padded to 32bit.

Hope it helps.

EDIT: I just read the other threads and they have the bit depth info, so I guess that isn't it. Please post the complete error message and then we can help more.

Sep 12, 2004 at 3:07 AM Post #3 of 12
Hey NightWoundsTime, thanks for looking into this. The following is the error:

INFO (foo_looks) : Initializing GDI+
INFO (CORE) : startup time: 2625 ms
INFO (CORE) : opening file for playback :
INFO (CORE) : location: "file://F:\Sarah McLachlan - Surfacing\04 - Adia.mp3" (0)
ERROR (CORE) : error opening file for playback :
INFO (CORE) : location: "file://F:\Sarah McLachlan - Surfacing\04 - Adia.mp3" (0)
INFO (CORE) : opening file for playback :
INFO (CORE) : location: "file://F:\Sarah McLachlan - Surfacing\06 - Witness.mp3" (0)
ERROR (CORE) : error opening file for playback :
INFO (CORE) : location: "file://F:\Sarah McLachlan - Surfacing\06 - Witness.mp3" (0)

Yes, I have it set to 24 fixed padded to 32... Itunes is working fine with a 44.1 Min +4 session in patchmix, but Foobar will not play. Not sure if that helps or not.

Sep 12, 2004 at 3:59 AM Post #4 of 12
checklist time!

FOR FOOBAR2K:

Click Foobar2000 in the upper left
Click preferences
Click Components
- Verify that ASIO output (DLL version) is in the found components list on the right
Click Database
- make sure Database is enabled
Click Display
- click default user interface
- Here you can enable transparency if you like (don't set it to max)
- You can also change the font (type, size and colort)
- You can also change the background color
- I have my font type as monotype corsiva 14pt regular w/ western script
- My background is set to black and the playlist text color is light grey
- In title formatting, you can control what shows up in the display.
- PM me a reminder and I'll PM it back to you so you can copy and paste it
Click Playback
- In the output box
- click show all options (you'll have to click it twice I think)
- select 24bit padded to 32 bit
- click dither
- select strong ATH noise shapping
- Click DSP manager
- In active DSP's you should have the following:
- Resampler
- volume control (optional)
- Advanced limiter
- Crossfeed (if you like, I don't use it)
- All other DSP's should be inactive.
- click resampler (ensure it's in the category tree on the left)
- Here you can selct the sample rate you like.
- I generally use 96000 or 44100 (96khz and 44.1 respectively)
- If you want to try 192khz click on the # and type 192000
- Try slow mode and see if you hear a diff...
Click Output
- Select ASIO (DLL version)
- click go to settings button
- select device as E-MU (I don't remember what it actually says but you should
recognize it)
- Set buffer between 7 & 10 (I use 10)

FOR PATCHMIX:

Go to open a new patchmix session. Choose the kHz level you want. Then open the "...kHz minimum +4" session. Go to the ASIO "strip" (on the left of patchmix) and insert a send to the i/o card. Now you are good to go, if you use ASIO in foobar.

hopefully running through these might solve your problem.

Sep 12, 2004 at 4:12 AM Post #5 of 12
I got it! I'm so sorry yall, I'm stupid... when I was installing the card I knocked the 80pin hard drive cable loose on my raid card thus my 250 Gig drive full of MP3s did not exist. Duh..... I got it working, and it sounds awesome!!! Oh Sarah sounds soooooo good! Thanks for the help... I guess that is why you should not install hardware after drinking a 1/5 of Vodka
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 12, 2004 at 7:26 AM Post #7 of 12
sorry for my ignorance, but what does database exactly do? also, did you get to check what difference strong ATH noise shapping makes? the only DSPs active on mine are EQ and resampler. which one should go first (on top)?

last but not least, have you tried the PPHS resampler? its supposed to give you better performance at the cost of some quality.. last time i tried it i had hard time telling the difference.

btw i had some distortion with +4 minimum, better luck with -10 so thats what i am using atm.

Sep 12, 2004 at 1:10 PM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by MikoLayer
sorry for my ignorance, but what does database exactly do? also, did you get to check what difference strong ATH noise shapping makes? the only DSPs active on mine are EQ and resampler. which one should go first (on top)?

The database is the heart of Foobar, this is where all of your file information as such is stored. It allows for things such as adding replay gain to the file without actually changing the file by storing the setting in the database and not the file.

As far as the ATH noise shapping, I have not done a camparison on this, I have read where some people say don't use it, and others say use it... not really sure what it does. I'm also not sure which one goes at the top, but I don't think it makes a difference.

Sep 12, 2004 at 2:14 PM Post #10 of 12
I don't use any noise shapeing, I don't re-sample either, upsampling does not increase the quality.

Only DSP I use is the advanced limiter.

And I don't use replaygain.

Also, for patchmix, I use -10, and I have a trimpot on the asio strip to reduce clipping set to -3 DB.

And OH YES Sarah sounds beautiful on this card
580smile.gif

Sep 12, 2004 at 3:22 PM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Asmo
Only DSP I use is the advanced limiter.

Could you elaborate a little on the advanced limiter and what it will do for me, also what settings do you use on the limiter?

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back