Foobar, wish I'd done it earlier
Feb 13, 2007 at 7:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Whitebread

1000+ Head-Fier
Wow, this program is powerful, I've been using it for a while now, but never took the time to install optional components or to configure them properly. I took the last hour to configure some components (my CPU usage on my over clocked opteron 165 moves between 5 and 20% now, with just foobar active lol, I need to upgrade again!) and wow the detail I've been missing out on is astounding! I'm rediscovering my HD650s as well as the lossless music I have (wish I had my CDs at college wtih me so I could replace all my lossy songs). Now I can't wait to finish my M3 and build a DAC.

One question for you. If I were to increase the output sampling rate to 192khz and the bit depth to 24bits, would a non oversampling USB DAC be able to take advantage of the extra numbers?

Feb 13, 2007 at 5:32 PM Post #5 of 19
Foobar has the best built in eq of any program I have found. You can fine tune it for hours on end. That is the only reason why I think it sounds better than mp. That being said, I use mp 85% of the time for low level listening and foobar 15% for when I REALLY want to enjoy the music.

Thats my.02

Feb 13, 2007 at 5:34 PM Post #6 of 19
Why not just use it all the time?

Feb 13, 2007 at 6:30 PM Post #7 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by SirVesseur /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can someone explain me why Foobar is just so much better than WMP?

Basically, the features, options and UI adjustability makes Foobar a piece of software you can change completely to your liking or, to meet the capabilities of your hardware. Jut tweaking the sample rate, bit depth and crossfeed setting made the music I was listening to less fatiguing and more detailed.

One of the things I most enjoy about this program is the fact that I can employ the things I learn in my computer science class to write custom code for the program. I'm finding the MATLAB programing language and foobar are quite similar
tongue.gif

Feb 13, 2007 at 8:22 PM Post #8 of 19
As for the upsampling question. Upsampling will be done by an ad-in system, of which there are several. One of the favorites mentioned is the SRC or "secret rabbit code". This addon is hard to find now. Main problem I have had trying it is that is consumes a lot of processor time doing the upsampling.

As to whether or not it helps, I think that mainly depends on your DAC. My Lavry did not sound much different with the upsampling via SRC, and my computer became slow for most every thing else I was trying to do. Is it worth trying, sure, and there are upsamplers that don't consume as many clock cycles. Should be free to try, and you can make your own decision on whether your sound is better or not.

Feb 13, 2007 at 8:31 PM Post #9 of 19
Yeah, I found the component on wikipedia, it prompted the question.
As for computer power, I have a fair bit of spare clock cycles, might as well use them. I do't even push >50% on a regular basis so I'm not worried about that. My computer is plenty fast even with all the extra processing.

I'll mess with the oversampling and see what happens.

Feb 13, 2007 at 8:41 PM Post #10 of 19
Well, first of all, I hate WMP for audio so that's easy. The question for me is why use foobar instead of winamp. It's not because I put a bunch of DSPs on or anything like that, it's just the pure usability of the program for me basically. Although the original reason I used it is because of stuff like kernel streaming.

Feb 15, 2007 at 11:18 AM Post #11 of 19
I like foobars build-in replaygain, 24bit support, kernel streaming and it's robustness (I can't remember the last time it crashed). I also like the ability to change the gui to my liking (i like to see the detailed info of files like replaygain values).

Feb 16, 2007 at 6:01 AM Post #14 of 19
foobar has native integration of replay gain scanning & tagging and it's fun to play with if you enjoy that kind of thing. it's not as easy as click and go for getting a decent ui built, but it's also not terribly difficult if you put your mind to it.

Feb 16, 2007 at 10:37 PM Post #15 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt_Carter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
winamp's better

You're giving Canadians a bad name with these two word platitudes. And it doesn't help that you're wrong.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back