Foobar, Wasapi, temporary silence?
Jan 29, 2012 at 1:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

djembeplay

100+ Head-Fier
Having set up a new system, I had a curious thing happen the other night where I had no sound playing through my music server... which is otherwise very consistently stable.  I'm running everything up to date, with Win 7, Foobar, and Wasapi.

Has anyone ever experienced an instance of having no sound, even though a file is playing, then everything is back to normal after a reboot?  Perhaps an issue with drivers not initializing properly on start-up?

Jan 29, 2012 at 4:05 PM Post #2 of 8
Only silence I get is a slight pause when un-pausing a song that I have paused, I just presumed that it is buffering the first 800ms or so. Sorry I can't be of more assistance!

Jan 29, 2012 at 5:56 PM Post #3 of 8
As with Gilly, the only time I have ever noticed silence is when the buffer isn't set right. 

Jan 29, 2012 at 9:14 PM Post #4 of 8
I've had problems with that, but a lot of things don't agree with Win 8 at the moment. Which doesn't help narrow down the cause, other than previously mentioned and probably correct suggestions.

Next time try closing foobar, hit Control+shift+Delete and end AudioDG.exe. Reopen foobar and play something.

Jan 29, 2012 at 10:03 PM Post #5 of 8
Hmm, interesting... good to know that there are even instances like this.  It hasn't happened again, so it's tough to trouble shoot whether it was indeed my server or something else in my system chain.

Jan 30, 2012 at 12:15 PM Post #6 of 8
YES. I've run into this several times on two different computers (Running Vista and Windows 7). It's as if all sound outputs are simply disabled. I couldn't get any sound of any kind (music, sound effects, from any program) to play.

A reboot always fixes it, but i've never found what the problem is.

Jan 30, 2012 at 12:34 PM Post #7 of 8
No pauses here either once play begins, but a short pause when the drive with music files needs to wake up.  However, I can think of the reverse situation in which if I have Foobar playing then paused and then try to play say a youtube video in Firefox or Google Chrome and no sound will come out until I shut down Foobar and restart my browser.   

Quote:
Having set up a new system, I had a curious thing happen the other night where I had no sound playing through my music server... which is otherwise very consistently stable.  I'm running everything up to date, with Win 7, Foobar, and Wasapi.

Has anyone ever experienced an instance of having no sound, even though a file is playing, then everything is back to normal after a reboot?  Perhaps an issue with drivers not initializing properly on start-up?

Feb 1, 2012 at 2:21 AM Post #8 of 8
Cool, thanks for the input - I think it was most likely a driver thing then... I have since reverted back to the default windows drivers, with the thinking that I don't need the Realtek software running as well when I'm just outputting s/pdif...  All works well so far.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back