Foobar/WASAPI output problem - Update
Apr 25, 2012 at 9:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

musiclover666

100+ Head-Fier
Hi all,

I will start by saying I have a HP G61, laptop pc, running itunes due to the fact that I have an ipod and like the UI. However, I have read that itunes on pc platform is less than ideal for audio. I do use Foobar for converting FLAC files to WAV. Recently I purchased a Fiio E10 dac/amp and have been reading about WASAPI output in Foobar so now I am wanting to get the best out of my setup due to the new dac. I have done a bunch of reading regarding this issue and installed the Wasapi component for Foobar and got excited in anticipation of hearing the bit perfect audio through my new dac. Well that didn't happen. In fact nothing happened.  When I select Wasapi and try to play a file I get the following message:  Unrecoverable playback error: Unsupported stream format: 44100 Hz / 16-bit / 2 channel Hmmm. I am puzzled. I have tried changing different settings as instructed by different forums, still nothing. It will work if I choose Direct Sound, which to my mind would be exactly like itunes, and not bit perfect. Don't get me wrong, I don't dislike itunes, I would just like to squeeze every ounce out of my computer audio that I can.

If any fellow Headfier better versed in computer audio would mind helping me out I would greatly appreciate it.

Also, if I do resolve this issue and start using Foobar what is the best way to bring over my music without losing my tags. All of my files are in WAVE format and I seem to loose Artist and Album title when I open it in Foobar.

Thanks in advance,
Dan

So I was fooling around and tried plugging in my dac to a different usb port to see if that would make any difference, lo and behold it did! As soon as I plugged it in to a different port I selected WASAPI E10 in the menu and viola. The sound was choppy at first, so I reduced the buffer to 510ms and it worked perfectly. I can actually say that the audio seems a bit smoother, not as etched as if I was using itunes. Placebo? Who knows. After all the hair pulling and grief perhaps I want to hear a difference. Perhaps I am hearing a difference. Anyway I think it was worth the effort. Now on to the task of getting my itunes files over to Foobar. Wish me luck.

Cheers,
Dan

Apr 27, 2012 at 8:14 AM Post #2 of 4
Bumping, I have the same problem

May 6, 2012 at 11:17 AM Post #4 of 4
I had the same problem, changed it 24 bit on the output format and change it to buffer at 50m/s. Then restarted to program.
Any higher than 50m/s and it wouldn`t play. Don`t know if this is a good setting but it`s working.
Also getting my libaray from itunes I just pointed Foo to my itunes folder and all the music and cover art came with it. Only thing I`ve lost is star rating

Users who are viewing this thread

Back