Foobar VS Winamp
Jan 30, 2008 at 10:17 PM Post #16 of 25
I migrated from itunes recently. The one thing I miss is the ability to drop my music in iTunes and have it sort it automatically. For this reason I still use iTunes to manage my iPod.

Jan 30, 2008 at 11:01 PM Post #17 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon L /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I clearly prefer the SQ of Foobar up to 0.8.x versions over Winamp/ASIO *IF* Otachan ASIO 047a plugin for Foobar is used, which results in almost pellucid transparency and resolution.

With Foobar 0.9.x versions with included ASIO plugins, to my ears the SQ is no better than Winamp/ASIO, presenting similarly bland SQ. I will use Foobar 0.8.x with Otachan ASIO until similar plugin is released for 0.9.x.

What's wrong with the ASIO plugin for 0.9? I thought it was bit-transparent. How can you get better than that?

Jan 30, 2008 at 11:49 PM Post #18 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Alleyman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What's wrong with the ASIO plugin for 0.9? I thought it was bit-transparent. How can you get better than that?

I'm kind of assuming it's the ASIO plugin that's making the difference since different ASIO plugins sound different in Foobar 0.8.x.

It is possible the newer foobar itself sounds different, however. This is hard to test right now b/c there is only one ASIO option for the new foobar.

I don't claim to know exactly why different ASIO plugins sound different; some have postulated that different choices made during compiling can affect the sound. But IME, in PC audio, bit transparency does not necesarily equal same sound. If so, bit-transparent spdif transports/computers, Winamp/ASIO, Foobar/Kernel streaming, Foobar/ASIO, ASIO4ALL all *should* sound exactly the same. They do not.

Jan 31, 2008 at 12:23 AM Post #19 of 25
Yes they should. I'm hardly the person to test this since I cant hear a difference between ASIO and DirectSound but if we're talking bit-transparency there should be no two ways about it.

Either an identical stream of bits gets to the DAC or it doesnt. If it doesnt, then it isnt bit-transparent.

Now on the issue of one ASIO plugin sounding different/better than the other, thats completely possible (due to software bugs). It's also a fact that euphony and bit-transparency aren't mutual (given the countless DSP plugins out there)
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 31, 2008 at 12:58 AM Post #21 of 25
As a long time Foobar user, I recently switched back to Winamp because I missed being able to use the milkdrop visualization. (If anyone hasn't used it in a while the version that comes with the most recent winamp is really incredible.)

Anyways, long story short. I had weird issues with winamp that caused me to go back to foobar. I have no idea what could have caused them, and I don't really care to try and troubleshoot the issues because foobar works fine for me as is, but winamp caused my flacs to stutter and skip on occasion (some really badly) like how a scratched CD would skip. So I went back to foobar after experiencing that.

Foobar would be perfect if it allowed milkdrop to work. It's really nice being able to zone out to that on occasion.

Jan 31, 2008 at 1:20 AM Post #22 of 25
Just an FYI, foo_vis_shpeck works pretty well. I tried it last week on a whim and it was pretty straightforward.
foo_vis_shpeck - Hydrogenaudio Forums

Quote:

Originally Posted by fetalgoat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As a long time Foobar user, I recently switched back to Winamp because I missed being able to use the milkdrop visualization. (If anyone hasn't used it in a while the version that comes with the most recent winamp is really incredible.)

Anyways, long story short. I had weird issues with winamp that caused me to go back to foobar. I have no idea what could have caused them, and I don't really care to try and troubleshoot the issues because foobar works fine for me as is, but winamp caused my flacs to stutter and skip on occasion (some really badly) like how a scratched CD would skip. So I went back to foobar after experiencing that.

Foobar would be perfect if it allowed milkdrop to work. It's really nice being able to zone out to that on occasion.

Jan 31, 2008 at 3:25 AM Post #23 of 25
foobar also has a really good development team and huge community behind it writing cool components for it every day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back