foobar vs iTunes 11
Feb 6, 2013 at 1:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

barksdale

Head-Fier
which do you prefer?

I dislike Apple computers, os, and all software but iTunes.  Now the new version is out and I am not so sure about it.

why I dislike iTunes 11...

There is no album art in the bottom left corner, there is this stupid arrow besides all my song tracks and when I double click to play I press it by accident, and the new search bar sucks bad.

why I still like iTunes...

play count, last played date, good layout, get info, keeps music organized.

why I like foobar...

uses less resources than iTunes (I have a good computer but still a good thing), loads fast (iTunes loads slow even with SSD), no apple logo, plays FLAC.

why I dislike foobar.

difficult to customize, crappy library structure, no play count, no last played date, bad search bar.

Feb 6, 2013 at 2:03 AM Post #2 of 15
iTunes new way of navigation hurts my head.

Foobar i agree with you on everything.

J.River is good, however it's settings can be dazzling at times.

In the end, there is no perfect program.

Tim

Feb 6, 2013 at 2:18 AM Post #3 of 15
Quote:
which do you prefer?

I dislike Apple computers, os, and all software but iTunes.  Now the new version is out and I am not so sure about it.

why I dislike iTunes 11...

There is no album art in the bottom left corner, there is this stupid arrow besides all my song tracks and when I double click to play I press it by accident, and the new search bar sucks bad.

why I still like iTunes...

play count, last played date, good layout, get info, keeps music organized.

why I like foobar...

uses less resources than iTunes (I have a good computer but still a good thing), loads fast (iTunes loads slow even with SSD), no apple logo, plays FLAC.

why I dislike foobar.

difficult to customize, crappy library structure, no play count, no last played date, bad search bar.

Play some more,

You can fix all of those things :wink:

Feb 6, 2013 at 6:49 AM Post #4 of 15
The new iTunes version requires me to minimize my screen and then maximize it to see the scroll arrows in the right margin and thereafter to be able to scroll using the pointer device. I do not like this, at all. It is one too many steps to enjoy my music selection.

Feb 6, 2013 at 3:36 PM Post #6 of 15
I think you must be running a different version of foobar2000 than the rest of us mate.

Foobar is an excellent media player but it's also a world class example of how to write user configurable software. Nothing does it better. Nothing.

If you are not comfortable with software don't be too ambitious at first. Use vanilla foobar for a while. Wait until you decide you want something extra. Do that. Rinse and repeat. Within weeks you will have an application uniquely tailored to your personal needs. Effortlessly. Not only that. You will understand how it works and how it all fits together. Because you did it yourself.

After over 30 years experience I have never found a more robust or easily configurable piece of software. Of course not everyone mind works in exactly the same way so if you prefer to be told what to do and how to do it it's fine to stick with iTunes.

Feb 6, 2013 at 5:10 PM Post #7 of 15
Quote:
I think you must be running a different version of foobar2000 than the rest of us mate.

Foobar is an excellent media player but it's also a world class example of how to write user configurable software. Nothing does it better. Nothing.

If you are not comfortable with software don't be too ambitious at first. Use vanilla foobar for a while. Wait until you decide you want something extra. Do that. Rinse and repeat. Within weeks you will have an application uniquely tailored to your personal needs. Effortlessly. Not only that. You will understand how it works and how it all fits together. Because you did it yourself.

After over 30 years experience I have never found a more robust or easily configurable piece of software. Of course not everyone mind works in exactly the same way so if you prefer to be told what to do and how to do it it's fine to stick with iTunes.

I started using Foobar since I signed up on this forum.  The default layout sucks.

I want to change somethings but I don't know a safe site to go to.

Feb 6, 2013 at 7:14 PM Post #8 of 15
Quote:
I started using Foobar since I signed up on this forum.  The default layout sucks.

I want to change somethings but I don't know a safe site to go to.

I'm with you on the default layout.  I switched from iTunes to J. River and like it (also lower memory footprint than iTunes).  I admit, though, that I've probably not given Foobar the chance it really deserves.

Feb 6, 2013 at 8:08 PM Post #9 of 15
Quote:
I'm with you on the default layout.  I switched from iTunes to J. River and like it (also lower memory footprint than iTunes).  I admit, though, that I've probably not given Foobar the chance it really deserves.

never heard of jriver.

I downloaded a few foobar components and got it looking somewhat better.

It however has no playcount beside the song name, no total song / library size in gigabyte/terabyte, and the filter seems like crappy.  I go in type in metal and it gives me something totally different.

Feb 6, 2013 at 10:31 PM Post #10 of 15
I'd never heard of it either, but I Google searched for music management software and it came up on several of the links. So I tried it. Interesting features. Never seen an audio program with a virtual subwoofer before (I don't use it, but it's there)

Jun 3, 2013 at 2:40 AM Post #11 of 15
Foobar sounds so much better than iTunes.  Even in directsound mode...

Jun 3, 2013 at 5:50 AM Post #12 of 15
I've been using iTunes for at least 8 years, mainly because I'm familiar with the program and there'd be a lot of work in re-organising my library. I also like most of the features the OP listed, especially it's appearance/layout and the stats it keeps. Once again like the OP, a few recent changes have annoyed me but I still generally like the interface of iTunes and find it fairly enjoyable to use.

However, since joining Head-Fi just recently, I've read of most people using foobar2k. It seems like a more serious music player. I presume it's more than just anti-Apple bias. The fact that foobar2k plays FLAC is pretty handy. I'm planning to make the switch to foobar2k some time this week.

Question: what is it about foobar that makes music sound better than iTunes? [NOOB ALERT] Assuming you haven't played around with any EQ settings or the like, I'd have thought the sound quality would come down to bitrate and your DAC. What am I missing?

Jul 1, 2013 at 2:16 AM Post #14 of 15
I personally only keep itunes for the store. Some artists I listen to and run into till this day still do exclusive releses through THAT store :mad: Foobar is too simplistic for my tastes. Even after I did some cusomization I still can't love it. Winamp is still my daily driver.

Sent from the Warlock

Aug 20, 2013 at 9:57 AM Post #15 of 15
I think Foobar 2000 can be organized too:
http://postimg.org/image/wim1mxenb/
http://postimg.org/image/k1xriqd0n/
pros:
-has better equalizer than itunes
-sounds clearer
-uses lower memory
-can use and edit replay gain
-can import playlist from itunes using m3u files
-adds a song to the album list instantly after the file is placed on your music folder
-can add a song from album list directly to the current playlist
-can attach album art for wav files
-can play flac files
-has plugins like pitch and tempo shift
cons:
-can't start playing a song at the specific time or end a song at a specific time but itunes can
-can't switch equalizers automatically for different songs
-no built in radio
-no sound enhancer (for anyone uses this plugin)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back