foobar volume fades in and out when I use EQ
Jul 28, 2010 at 7:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

lovethosebeats3

New Head-Fier
When the foobar EQ is flat the volume runs steady but when I adjust any of the bands the full spectrum starts fading in and out.

How to fix this?

It only does it on foobar.

For the output I'm using the xonar driver. 

running windows 7 x64, xonar essence stx.

windows audio control panel set to 16 bit 44100, it still does it if at 24/44100

xonar audio center is set at 2 channel 44100.  mode set on hifi to disabling all dsp effects.

Also normally I use winamp and the xonar eq instead.  What is it about the xonar eq that gives so much power to the sound?  Using the same output driver.  Media player eq's don't stand up to this level.  I'm using foobar and tinkering with the wider range EQ because I want to learn more about individual frequencies, but it would be cool if they could also deliver the omph.  :D

Sep 24, 2011 at 10:45 AM Post #5 of 5
Although this is an old thread I am answering in case anybody gets here via google! I had the same problem and found the answer.

To compensate for speaker characteristics, I set the eq to boost the bass. Something in the system got overloaded when there is a high bass (drums for example) content and self adjusts the volume. This means that the volume on the mid-band drops when  for example the drums or any low frequency content increases. There is some lag in the auto volume adjusting system hence the volume yo-yo up and down as the music plays.

The answer to this is instead of pushing up the frequencies you want enhanced, drop the other frequencies on the equaliser except the ones you want boosted! On Foobar2000 v1.1.7 there is a button "Auto level" on the equaliser window that does this for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back