foobar/soundcard issue
Aug 20, 2004 at 9:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

remilard

500+ Head-Fier
So I am new to windows (I am basically using it for foobar) so I am having some setup troubles. I intend to use my chaintech card for digital out and to use the onboard sound for my speakers. I only have the chaintech set up now and I noticed that foobar pauses if another sound plays, and despite my best effort it is hard to get windows and windows software to be quiet. I know this problem has been discussed before but I must be searching the wrong terms. So my question is, when I get the onboard sound working and make it default, will foobar still pause when other sounds play when foobar is playing through the non default chaintech card?

My other problem is with the onboard sound, I have an intel 845g chipset and in linux I use the i810 audio drivers. Intel says they don't offer drivers on their site but after reading their information carefully and following provided links I found a program that I thought was the drivers but it is installing "soundmax" software and gives an error because it can't find the drivers. I think this chipset isn't newer than xp service pack one, which was included on the copy of xp I bought so I was sort of surprised that this integrated audio didn't work out of the box. Any ideas here? I could put my santa cruz back in and make it the default but a $60 soundcard seems like overkill for playing website noises and stuff.

John

Aug 21, 2004 at 7:16 AM Post #2 of 3
foobar is pausing when windows plays a sound because you are using kernel streaming
to solve this problem, just choose no sound as the option in the sound option found in the control panel
and yes, once you setup the on-board sound and set it to default, all the windows sounds will be send to the on-board sound

Aug 21, 2004 at 3:39 PM Post #3 of 3
Quote:

Originally Posted by remilard
My other problem is with the onboard sound, I have an intel 845g chipset and in linux I use the i810 audio drivers. Intel says they don't offer drivers on their site but after reading their information carefully and following provided links I found a program that I thought was the drivers but it is installing "soundmax" software and gives an error because it can't find the drivers. I think this chipset isn't newer than xp service pack one, which was included on the copy of xp I bought so I was sort of surprised that this integrated audio didn't work out of the box. Any ideas here? I could put my santa cruz back in and make it the default but a $60 soundcard seems like overkill for playing website noises and stuff.

Download the latest drivers for your motherboard from the manufacturer. The audio driver is bundled with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back