foobar sorting settings
Aug 6, 2008 at 7:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

jvgig

Head-Fier
Is there a way to tell foobar to ignore the "the"'s at the beginning of artists and tract titles when sorting? Also can you sort by artist, then within the artist, sort by album or title?

Thanks

Aug 6, 2008 at 7:26 AM Post #2 of 6
Answer to second question is yes. Foobar can pretty much do any sorting you want but you need to be able the come up with the script or what-you-call-it.

For artists, I have this : %<artist>%|%date% - %album%|[[%discnumber%.]%tracknumber%. ][%track artist% - ]%title%

It sorts by Artists > Albums > TrackNumber -Track title

Under Album List or Album List Panel, add a new view and try pasting the above to see if it is what you need. I am using Foobar 0.9.4.3 - I seem to recall that the newer version has a slightly different way of dealing with the fields though it may still work.

For the first question, with the new default interface, there is a set-up / theme that resembles the iTunes setup which can ignore the "The" prefixes to band names.

P.S. - I am no expert on Foobar customization and most of what I have is cut-and-paste from other configs I have found over at Hydrogen Audio. Many here are much more accomplished and have cleaner config settings than mine. I suggest you check out Hyrdogen Audio for more detailed info - you will learn alot more about Foobar.

Aug 6, 2008 at 11:04 AM Post #3 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by jvgig /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is there a way to tell foobar to ignore the "the"'s at the beginning of artists and tract titles when sorting?

Try this:

$if($strcmp($left(%album artist%,4),The ),$right(%album artist%,$sub($len(%album artist%),4))', 'The,%album artist%) - %album% - $num(%disc%,2) - $num(%tracknumber%,2)

Aug 6, 2008 at 5:38 PM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by jvgig /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks

Could you explain what some of the coding means?

foobar2000 -> Help -> Title Formatting Help

You'll find pretty much everything you need.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back